General Surgery Resident - AMA!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It's interesting how you think that a 25-35% longer workweek than what most people work in the US is short. Do you know what's the reason behind the long hours for GS? Why can't an attending set their hours and work 35-40 hours/week? The hours create burnout, stress and prevent many talented people from becoming great surgeons.

Ars longa, vita brevis.

But I was referring to some surgeons who work 50 hours a week and those surgeons think it's too much. I don't care or think about how much other people work, whether they think 50hours is too much or too little. Similarly, I don't care or think much about what 'most people' in America do or don't for work. Doesn't affect me.

To answer the second question, it takes long hours because surgery is a technical field and to achieve mastery you have to put in the time, period. Surgeries don't always happen between the hours of 9am and 4pm. Furthermore, to operate just takes time - you have to pre-op the patient, get them to the OR, they go to sleep, prep and drape, and then operate for however long (and some surgeries take >5hr), then post op orders, post op care, etc. Rinse and repeat for however many people you see/operate on that day. Sure, while the patient is getting ready and getting to the OR and waking up there is often time to dedicate to other tasks (as an attending - as a resident I'm still helping turn over, etc.), and residents and midlevels can decrease your out-of-OR burden, but it all requires time. If my work week *only* consisted of actual operating time and absolutely nothing else, it would be much closer to 40hr/week.

I'll be honest; as a resident, most of the time it's not the hours that cause me the most burnout or stress, it's the myriad of other things - nursing, staffing, patient issues, people dying, documentation, etc. Up to about 85hr, I don't mind the work load too much. After that it gets annoying and I get cranky about not seeing my family.

Yes, you can set hours better as an attending. But like dpmd said, in many payment systems in the US, if you aren't working, you aren't earning. It's a checks and balances system, all depends on what you want out of life. Many surgeons would rather work more and get paid more because they enjoy operating and they like the money. Operating is addicting.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
Hey, this thing got necro-liked, so I thought I'd necro-bump.

Officially graduated! They managed to hurt me more (of course), but the clock has run out!

Taking a break from studying for boards.

Feel free to keep AMA.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey, this thing got necro-liked, so I thought I'd necro-bump.

Officially graduated! They managed to hurt me more (of course), but the clock has run out!

Taking a break from studying for boards.

Feel free to keep AMA.

Congrats brotha. Welcome to the club. Big accomplishment. Nothing given. Everything earned. The real fun begins now. Enjoy the brief time off before boards. Cheers.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
How much home call did you take in residency? I'm finishing up my third year right now, and I feel like it is absolutely the worst part of residency (we take 24h home call 6 days a week at most of our smaller/satellite hospitals)

How much home call did you take in residency? I'm finishing up my third year right now, and I feel like it is absolutely the worst part of residency (we take 24h home call 6 days a week at most of our smaller/satellite hospitals)

A lot. But that’s real life, right? Unless you go academic I guess
7 months this year of “home call” where you have the possibility of coming in. 2 months last year of coming in. 2 months the year prior.
That’s on top of 8 months of in house “call”.
Plus weekend call.

A lot. But that’s real life, right? Unless you go academic I guess
7 months this year of “home call” where you have the possibility of coming in. 2 months last year of coming in. 2 months the year prior.
That’s on top of 8 months of in house “call”.
Plus weekend call.
I'm in private practice and I would kill myself if I was on home call 6 days a week. Most I have done is 10 days in a month and that suuuuuuuucks.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm in private practice and I would kill myself if I was on home call 6 days a week. Most I have done is 10 days in a month and that suuuuuuuucks.

EMTALA call or own patient “call” or both or something else....?
I guess I should clarify.
The attendings in my program (Er.....former program) took 24/7 pager “call” on their own patients or new consults/admits from preferred PCPs about 48-50weeks/year. Beyond that, EMTALA gen surg call is about 2-3 weeks per quarter spliced and diced in a variety of ways. Some of them also take trauma call which varied from in-house to in-vicinity with varying frequency and arrangements from block-schedule to q4 to whatever....

EMTALA call or own patient “call” or both or something else....?
I guess I should clarify.
The attendings in my program (Er.....former program) took 24/7 pager “call” on their own patients or new consults/admits from preferred PCPs about 48-50weeks/year. Beyond that, EMTALA gen surg call is about 2-3 weeks per quarter spliced and diced in a variety of ways. Some of them also take trauma call which varied from in-house to in-vicinity with varying frequency and arrangements from block-schedule to q4 to whatever....
Call for new consults plus after hours call for anybody's patients. I have instructed the exchange to call me instead of the on call for my established patients but it is infrequent they put a call through during sleeping hours.

Reactions: 1 user
Call for new consults plus after hours call for anybody's patients. I have instructed the exchange to call me instead of the on call for my established patients but it is infrequent they put a call through during sleeping hours.
Nice!