General Surgery Sub-I/AI field selection

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

addy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, you can do your surgery Sub-I/AI in any of the general surgery fields...if I did 3 AIs and all of them were in CT surgery and I'm applying to General Surgery, would that be bad? I feel like they'd ask me "why aren't you applying to i6 programs?"....which I might, in addition to GS.

How have others done AIs? All in different fields? Same field in all AI's?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, if you did three AIs in CT or three in plastics or three in vascular, people would likely think you were also applying to one of the integrated residencies. How that affects you depends on how competitive you are and how interested you are in general-general surgery. If you have a strong interest in GS, I'd recommend at least one AI/sub-I in GS or a non-integrated subspecialty (breast, colorectal, surg-onc) - somewhat depends on how your school rotations are set up, too.

Reactions: 1 user
The thing is, I never got to do a true "general surgery" month during my clerkship-- never saw a hernia repair, ostomy, etc-- so doing a general surgery one seems daunting. I did a month of CT and a month of breast and enjoyed and performed best on the CT month, since I enjoyed it more. I didn't want to "start from scratch" for an AI.

If you are applying to general surgery 5 year residencies and have some intention of being a general surgeon, I would consider it imperative that you rotate on a general surgery service. You definitely don't have to have seen everything, but it's a good idea to have seen some hernias, or gallbladders, or bowel stuff, or trauma, or some of the day-to-day grind you'd be dealing with in residency. Breast is nice and part of what general surgeons can do, but rotating on a breast-only specialty is a world apart from a general surgery residency or not breast-only practice. Similarly, if you do a 5 year GS residency you'll rotate on CT (but probably not practice it that much as an attending unless you do a fellowship) but sub-specialty rotation on CT is a different kind of world apart from a GS residency/practice.

My recommendations:
1. Figure out if you want to do CT-only and maybe GS only as 'backup'. You'd better be a very strong candidate for CT only.
2. Rotate on a general surgery service regardless.
-If you're doing CT-only and don't have time for all the AIs you'll be limited in perception of your GS application if you don't have it; if you absolutely can't do one, at least spend serious time shadowing on a GS service. Cozy up to your home department in case you don't match.
-If you're interested in GS but don't have a true 'just general surgery' rotation at your school, I'd recommend acute care surgery (if you have it), colorectal, surg-onc, or MIS for the belly operations; SICU or trauma for the hours and complicated patient population.

Reactions: 5 users