Generated revenue vs average salaries for rad onc 2023

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sam1234567

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
for seasoned rad onc here how much do you think this number is for rad onc in 2023 ?
0B0609D6-58CD-45A1-B4D8-560F08B01CB5.jpeg

Members don't see this ad.

for seasoned rad onc here how much do you think this number is for rad onc in 2023 ?
View attachment 368155
If you asked me 5 yrs ago, I would have said right below cardio. Interesting, I don’t see radiology on there and I’m sure they provide a lot which we may be under. What’s the source of this table?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If you asked me 5 yrs ago, I would have said right below cardio. Interesting, I don’t see radiology on there and I’m sure they provide a lot which we may be under. What’s the source of this table?
yeah i was thinking the same about rads, its from merrit hawkins.

Salaries are set by supply and demand not revenue brought in. It really doesn’t matter where radonc stands. Radoncs who on average, may have the highest revenue per doc are practiting at systems w/negotiated10x cms and offering protons and they certainly don’t have higher salaries.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
View attachment 368155
Average rad onc revenue is going to be about 5 million, the median about 2.5 million, if we are talking global. These are guesses but quite educated ones. It’s deducible from existing data. Average wRVU based revenue is going to be about $900K and median of about $500K. One way to think about this is knowing that 350K Medicare patients are treated per year in America spread out amongst about 5000 docs who have average reimbursements of $330K and median of $150K.

They NET 2-4m per radonc at most places, and you get paid whatever you negotiate, largely driven by market supply/demand for radonc personnel and/or you rising to the top of the pyramid at your location.

They NET 2-4m per radonc at most places, and you get paid whatever you negotiate, largely driven by market supply/demand for radonc personnel and/or you rising to the top of the pyramid at your location.
Agree with 2-4m “most places” although the average will be higher than the “most” because of our very Pareto work distribution in rad onc. An example of this: 75% of Miami Heat players make less than the team average salary.