Generic substitution-Pharmacists being blamed!

Started by Adelaide
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Adelaide

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Please read these links and see if it can make you to flush in anger:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30627962//

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/comments?type=story&id=8187605

Why these reporters do not learn the difference between therapeutic substitution and generic substitution and pharmacy law before starting delivering this public opinion. Shame ABC and NBC!

Who is feeding this campaign? Pharmaceutical companies?

I still waiting for the National Boards of Pharmacy to make a pronouncement regarding these outrageous TV news!


 
Please read these links and see if it can make you to flush in anger:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30627962//

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/comments?type=story&id=8187605

Why these reporters do not learn the difference between therapeutic substitution and generic substitution and pharmacy law before starting delivering this public opinion. Shame ABC and NBC!

Who is feeding this campaign? Pharmaceutical companies?

I still waiting for the National Boards of Pharmacy to make a pronouncement regarding these outrageous TV news!



This is nothing new, just 16 year olds repeating what they read from other articles. This is the only reason why I only read NYT and WSJ.
 
I've had patients come into the pharmacy referring to this article! I spend the time to explain to them what it means to have generic substitution versus therapeutic substitution, but it doesn't matter. The damage is done, and patients think the pharmacy is their enemy. This latest article is definitely a disservice to our profession. Great job, news media!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I still waiting for the National Boards of Pharmacy to make a pronouncement regarding these outrageous TV news!

...hope you're not holding your breath. All our alleged professional organizations are too busy worrying that the general public will confuse characters in Desparate Housewives and Nurse Jackie with real life, as well as conducting a closed-door MTM circle jerk, to worry about anything remotely relevant to our current practice...

...for example, read the latest on the California Pharmacist's Association's advocacy for its state's RPh's.
 
listen, i'm embarrased to ask, but can some one tell me the difference between therapeutic substitution and generic substitution.

EDIT: nevermind. i'm an idiot. i googled it. found the answer. therapeutic is like switching from zocor to lipitor to crestor. generic is switching from toprol xl to metoprolol succ er.
 
I was shaking my fists by the tone of these articles. They always mention how it's the insurance companies and pharmacists trying to save money by offering generics! All the pharmacists and doctors who helped to source this story were all probably bought out or had their comments taken extremely out of context. I'd feel much more sorry for people who have been the victim of such shoddy journalism.
 
I cannot be any happier about getting out of retail. I never ever want to do it as a pharmacist.