generic TOPAMAX and CELLCEPT- Any complaints?

Started by Adelaide
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Adelaide

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all,

I am about to propose to switch from brand CELLCEPT tabs and TOPAMAX to the respective generic forms.

Anyone doing this?

Any complaints in terms of disease reincidence or lower efficacy?

I heard some rumors that patients being swtiched from TOPAMAX are experiencing migraine or seizures reincidence..Is this true?
Any paid marketing behind this rumor?

How about generic Cellcept?

Thanks
 
Hi all,

I am about to propose to switch from brand CELLCEPT tabs and TOPAMAX to the respective generic forms.

Anyone doing this?

Any complaints in terms of disease reincidence or lower efficacy?

I heard some rumors that patients being swtiched from TOPAMAX are experiencing migraine or seizures reincidence..Is this true?
Any paid marketing behind this rumor?

How about generic Cellcept?

Thanks


The cellcept issue is controversial within the transplant community. Some are skeptical of switching patients to generic especially within the first 3-6 months post transplant when they are at higher risk for rejection. Others dont care and will monitor side effects (espicially GI and rejection). Most of the people on the side of not caring ABSOLUTELY only want one generic used if at all possible. They do not want a script filled with one generic and then the next month the patient is on a different one.
 
The cellcept issue is controversial within the transplant community. Some are skeptical of switching patients to generic especially within the first 3-6 months post transplant when they are at higher risk for rejection. Others dont care and will monitor side effects (espicially GI and rejection). Most of the people on the side of not caring ABSOLUTELY only want one generic used if at all possible. They do not want a script filled with one generic and then the next month the patient is on a different one.

...and is this evidence based or conjured up based on nothing....based....?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
We haven't been dispensing the generics long enough to have decent feedback on the one side or the other. But we are dispensing generics for both. We also have some practitioners who are concerned with generic substitution, so we usually call MDs when they bring in their cellcept/topamax scripts for the first time post-generic availability.
 
We haven't been dispensing the generics long enough to have decent feedback on the one side or the other. But we are dispensing generics for both. We also have some practitioners who are concerned with generic substitution, so we usually call MDs when they bring in their cellcept/topamax scripts for the first time post-generic availability.

...and is this evidence based or conjured up based on nothing....based....?
 
Based on marketing from manufacturers most likely. Certainly not on our own post-marketing surveillance.

Then don't call. Don't play the game. It's a waste of time.

We do employee scripts where I work...I occasionally get screwed into doing it (the worst 10 hours of my week when I draw the short straw...)...and if there is an AB rated generic, I switch. Don't listen to physicians that tell you otherwise. They are clueless. We know more about appropriate drug product selection than them. Anyone that thinks that an instant release drug would vary more from manufacturer to manufacturer than from, say, a typical manufacturer's lot to lot is a *****. They use incredibly exact measuring devices. Don't placate to them.

Any evidence is not double-blinded...it's always anecdotal. And when that one patient out of 50 has a problem...oh...must be the generic...ignoring, of course, that 1/50 peeps would have problems anyway.

It's all bull****...and..yeah...it pisses me off...
 
Then don't call. Don't play the game. It's a waste of time.

We do employee scripts where I work...I occasionally get screwed into doing it (the worst 10 hours of my week when I draw the short straw...)...and if there is an AB rated generic, I switch. Don't listen to physicians that tell you otherwise. They are clueless. We know more about appropriate drug product selection than them. Anyone that thinks that an instant release drug would vary more from manufacturer to manufacturer than from, say, a typical manufacturer's lot to lot is a *****. They use incredibly exact measuring devices. Don't placate to them.

Any evidence is not double-blinded...it's always anecdotal. And when that one patient out of 50 has a problem...oh...must be the generic...ignoring, of course, that 1/50 peeps would have problems anyway.

It's all bull****...and..yeah...it pisses me off...


I was like you...like 15 years ago...
 
If it's AB rated, you get switched. I don't care what it is or who you are. If you want the brand, go get the DAW script. That aside, we don't ure much Cellcept so I don't know about that and I've heard no complaints about the topamax generic
 
Last edited:
We use both generic n brand name... Our iv cellcept is branda and tablets are generic. To my knowledge there have not been issues thus far