Taurus

Paul Revere of Medicine
15+ Year Member
Jul 27, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
Found, genes that could save millions from short-sight and lead to a drug to combat condition

Children would no longer be at risk of complications of short-sightedness which could cause blindness
But more research is needed and any drug to prevent condition is at least 15 years away

By Fiona Macrae

PUBLISHED: 15:24 EST, 10 February 2013 | UPDATED: 18:55 EST, 10 February 2013

A host of genes for short-sightedness has been discovered in a breakthrough that could benefit millions.

A British-led team of scientists identified 24 genes containing information that could lead to a drug to stop many children becoming short-sighted.

It could spare families from spending a fortune on contact lenses, as well as the expense of laser surgery.

odieoh

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 25, 2003
www.cubs.com
Status
Attending Physician
Interesting, but unlikely to lead to a practical solution anytime soon. As the article mentioned, anything that stops the eye from growing could affect other forms of growth too, which is problematic. Even if this hurdle is overcome, any such medication would likely be extremely expensive and would outweigh the cost of glasses.

The article also seems to overstate this horrible condition of being "shortsighted." Pathological myopia is a problem but that is different than your average myopia.

The article also implies that spending time "in front of a screen" worsens myopia, which, to the best of my knowledge, has not been proven.

hurdlepup

Surviving Intern Year
7+ Year Member
Feb 11, 2010
On Country Roads
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I think Taurus's problem is due to the subpar training FNPs receive. Look at this sample curriculum and tell me that a graduate of this program is really ready to see patient independently and that you have no problem sending your mom to an essentially unsupervised FNP with this level of training.

Probably don't want to get started on this but I had a meeting last night where I watched an FNP who will graduate at the same time I will graduate med school (this May) leading an interdisciplinary team in an exercise and there's no way she's more qualified than me to lead a patient care team. She incorrectly managed the patient in almost every aspect and it was all I could do to bite my tongue since I was just supposed to be an observer.

Attachments

ophthope

Oh Dear, No Venison
5+ Year Member
Dec 29, 2011
Status
Attending Physician
I think Taurus's problem is due to the subpar training FNPs receive. Look at this sample curriculum and tell me that a graduate of this program is really ready to see patient independently and that you have no problem sending your mom to an essentially unsupervised FNP with this level of training.

Probably don't want to get started on this but I had a meeting last night where I watched an FNP who will graduate at the same time I will graduate med school (this May) leading an interdisciplinary team in an exercise and there's no way she's more qualified than me to lead a patient care team. She incorrectly managed the patient in almost every aspect and it was all I could do to bite my tongue since I was just supposed to be an observer.
Woah, an FNP degree is just 42 hours? Is this for someone who is already an RN? I had no idea the training was so little.