Geneseo pros cons

arvininfinity

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So got accepted to a few schools and I narrowed it down to these 3 Geneseo, Temple , UM

wondered if anyone(alumni or other people) could perhaps give his/her personal opinion on the pros/cons

Geneseo:

* Pros:
* There is a good chance(promised) that I get accepted to their 3/4 dental programme having done a year with a GPA 3.3(maybe 5)
* Is the cheapest among the others
* Smallest(5000) so good interactions with teachers-Much more personal relationships with professors and faculty.
*Very solid pre med/dent education.
*Close-knit community.
* Apparently very strong in preparing student for MCAT/DAT
* Edgar Fellows Honors program. Intro courses are philosophy-like classes meant to develop a student's nature to think and analyze. Sounds pretty darn interesting.
* Close to zero TA's
* It's the hardest between my choices so maybe it has a better reputation and rep in the eyes of the admission
* There is no grad in this school so profs are here to help undergrad
*We have some great clinical experience opportunities available like the Teresa House Hospice, which you can walk to from campus

* CONS:
* (this is from a review) The school is poorly funded and it really shows. SO MANY PROFESSORS ARE ADJUNCTS AND CANNOT TEACH.
* Significantly less research/internship/clinical opportunities found at geneseo than at others.
- Very rigorous coursework for bio-related majors. Not a single alum has told me different. - Half the student population agrees that campus life can get really boring due to sheer pipsqueakness of it but I'll be studying most of my time anyways - Extremely far from family.

* Apparently teachers don't get paid enough so might not teach v well!

Members don't see this ad.

I have a couple of friends that went to Geneseo and they all told me the same thing; if you are pre-health STAY AWAY! The coursework is just too rigorous and there's just too much competition for anyone to do well. Now while the thing about the MCAT/DAT may be true, they were both forced to enroll in SMP programs to fix their 3.1~3.2 gpas.

Don't know much about the other schools you mentioned.

Members don't see this ad :)
The only reason I click on this was because Geneseo was in the title XD.

Geneseo is not cut-throat at all. People who go there have a good chance of getting upper 30s to a 40 on the MCAT. If prep is that good for MCAT, prep for DAT must be great too. Like you mentioned, there is a strong collaborative environment at Geneseo. I'm assuming you're a NY resident, so perhaps saving some money will be good for you in the long run.

Do you have to take the DAT if you get into the program you mentioned in the first bullet? If so, you probably won't have a lot of competition from your fellow students. Most students at Geneseo like to test the waters and don't want to be "tied down." I think it's a great deal if you get into the guaranteed program.

I have a couple of friends that went to Geneseo and they all told me the same thing; if you are pre-health STAY AWAY! The coursework is just too rigorous and there's just too much competition for anyone to do well. Now while the thing about the MCAT/DAT may be true, they were both forced to enroll in SMP programs to fix their 3.1~3.2 gpas.

Don't know much about the other schools you mentioned.

I won't disagree, because there is some truth to this post. But I wanted to add another perspective. :)
Yes the coursework is very rigorous, but I hardly consider that a bad thing. If you are willing to work hard you can do well at Geneseo. And I believe the rigorous classes help with the MCAT and DAT.
It is true, you could probably get higher GPAs at other schools, but it's not impossible to do well if you're a hard worker.

Also, it does get a bit competitive between students, but nothing extreme. The pre-meds tend to support each other and want to see each other succeed.The students are competitive, but I think that's normal. If you put a bunch of hardworking students in a class together, it's gonna be harder to stand out and do extremely well. However, most everyone is supportive of each other. There are instances where students form study groups, work together in labs, and share any cool new opportunities they might have found.

P.S. I think I know two students did the 3/4 Dental program, because they are both attending UB Dental school next year.

Last edited: