Pros and Cons of Neuroscience?

nysegop

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are your thoughts on the neuroscience (BS) major?

Here's what I can think of so far -

Pros:
Lots of research opportunities...more than bio or other sciences (At least where I'm planning on going to school. Many neuroscience seniors work as research associates in the medical school.)
Interesting Subject (Also, focuses exclusively on humans whereas biology focuses on plants, animals, and humans. Could be a pro or a con depending on your preference).

Cons:
Difficult (Up there with physics, quantum mechanics, etc. especially in upper level coursework)
WAYYYYY too many course requirements (I think you get like 4 electives or so total). Biology would allow me to easily minor in something and possibly even double major. Neuroscience wouldn't.

What are your thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

As a neuroscience major, I'd definitely agree with your pros. It was a great major for me to get all sorts of exposure to medically-oriented research and people.

As for it being a difficult subject...hardly. Neuro is definitely a harder major than something like straight bio and probably most non-sciences, but most students at my school would agree that it's easier than molecular bio, physics, bioengineering, etc. My pchem/quantum course was definitely more difficult than any neuro class I've taken (took it as an elective :rolleyes:). Unless you're some major slacker, neuro will not be too much hard work or too challenging of a subject.

As a neuroscience major, I'd definitely agree with your pros. It was a great major for me to get all sorts of exposure to medically-oriented research and people.

As for it being a difficult subject...hardly. Neuro is definitely a harder major than something like straight bio and probably most non-sciences, but most students at my school would agree that it's easier than molecular bio, physics, bioengineering, etc. My pchem/quantum course was definitely more difficult than any neuro class I've taken (took it as an elective :rolleyes:). Unless you're some major slacker, neuro will not be too much hard work or too challenging of a subject.

Thanks. Congrats on the U Pitts acceptance btw.

Members don't see this ad :)
I always thought a BS in Neuroscience was like a baby step to get your PhD in Neuroscience-y stuff, but I know a lot of people seem to be using that BS to go to medical school.

Maybe they want to be neurosurgeons or neurologists? :confused::confused:

I always thought a BS in Neuroscience was like a baby step to get your PhD in Neuroscience-y stuff, but I know a lot of people seem to be using that BS to go to medical school.

Maybe they want to be neurosurgeons or neurologists? :confused::confused:

Some neuroscience majors go into government too. CDC and people hire them.