Genetic Engineering

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

terraphoenix

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I'm currently a 1st year Med. Student, and, started a week ago. My goal is to become a Genetic Engineer
My question is, do I HAVE TO go into Med. School in order to do research on humans and animals ? or do I only have to major in Biology ? I have been told that you have to go to medicine school or else you only do research on plants, and that's the only reason I got into Med. School.

Thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Premed? I don't think you are allowed to have one reason to get into Med. School.

Step 1: join biology lab
Step 2: digest bacterial plasmid with restriction enzyme
Step 3: ligate plasmid with insert of your choosing
Step 4: transform bacteria with plasmid
Step 5: grow bacteria/induce insert expression
CONGRATULATIONS YOU ARE NOW A GENETIC ENGINEER!!!!
Step 6: profit???
Step 7: cue confetti, champagne bottles poppin', fireworks, etc.

OP...on the very slim chance that this is a serious question...No I do not believe you necessarily have to be a Biology major or a Doctor for that matter to become a genetic engineer.

(I can't even begin to imagine what your PS and secondaries looked like, or how your interviews went....)

So...um...are you IN Medical School, or are you not?

Nevermind, I don't care.

Did you mean that you are a first year pre-med student?

OP...on the very slim chance that this is a serious question...No I do not believe you necessarily have to be a Biology major or a Doctor for that matter to become a genetic engineer.

(I can't even begin to imagine what your PS and secondaries looked like, or how your interviews went....)

Well, this is a serious question, and it is not a troll post.

And yes, I'm in Med. school and started last week, this is why I'm asking because I have been told that if you don't study in Med school, you are not allowed to research on humans/animals.

My interviews went good, had a high GPA in High school, above average in TOEFIL, did great on MCAT/SAT, but that is not the point.

I would be really grateful if someone just answered my question, regardless if it was stupid.

I don't want to continue in Med. school if what I have been told was not true.

So, I don't have to have a medical degree to be able to research on Humans/Animals. and I need to get a degree in Biology/Math/Chemmy/Physics etc..

I apologize if this was stupid, as I was in a stupid non-educational environment where I studied, which was the stupid country known as Kuwait, and I'm not kuwaiti.

Thank you.

Well, this is a serious question, and it is not a troll post.

And yes, I'm in Med. school and started last week, this is why I'm asking because I have been told that if you don't study in Med school, you are not allowed to research on humans/animals.

My interviews went good, had a high GPA in High school, above average in TOEFIL, did great on MCAT/SAT, but that is not the point.

I would be really grateful if someone just answered my question, regardless if it was stupid.

I don't want to continue in Med. school if what I have been told was not true.

So, I don't have to have a medical degree to be able to research on Humans/Animals. and I need to get a degree in Biology/Math/Chemmy/Physics etc..

I apologize if this was stupid, as I was in a stupid non-educational environment where I studied, which was the stupid country known as Kuwait, and I'm not kuwaiti.

Thank you.

I think there is a big misunderstanding here... I am going to ask you a couple of specific question ok?

If you are a medical student...(because I still think you do not understand what being a medical student in a medical school means)

Are you in medical school in America?

What did you major in while at undergraduate level...i.e when you left High school and went to University/College, what was your major?

How many years did you sepnd in University/College?

What was your graduating GPA?

When you took the MCAT what was your score?

The reason I ask is becasue any medical student in the US will be able to provide this information.

And once again, no... you do not need to major in Biology or be a Doctor to be a Genetic Engineer. I believe a degree in any of the biological sciences (at undergraduate level atleast) will be just fine. I think focusing on genetic engineering will be a matter of research and specialization at post graduate level. (I hope someone who knows better than me can pipe in soon because I am definitely not an expert on the topic.)

Last edited:
I think there is a big misunderstanding here... I am going to ask you a couple of specific question ok?

If you are a medical student...(because I still think you do not understand what being a medical student in a medical school means)

Are you in medical school in America?

What did you major in while at undergraduate level...i.e when you left High school and went to University/College, what was your major?

How many years did you sepnd in University/College?

What was your graduating GPA?

When you took the MCAT what was your score?

The reason I ask is becasue any medical student in the US will be able to provide this information.

And once again, no... you do not need to major in Biology or be a Doctor to be a Genetic Engineer. I believe a degree in any of the biological sciences (at undergraduate level atleast) will be just fine. I think focusing on genetic engineering will be a matter of research and specialization at post graduate level. (I hope someone who knows better than me can pipe in soon because I am definitely not an expert on the topic.)

Hmm I'm sorry if I confused you, as I'm confused myself rightnow.

No, I'm not in the USA.

Umm, I left High school 4 months ago.

I spend exactly a 4 days in the university.

I had 3.8 GPA, which means 97% in stupid Kuwait.

I'm in RCSI Bahrain, got a 31 in the MCAT there, got examed before the interviews.

So... Have I just wasted my time/money ? they told me you need to go to med school first... Please help me out, I still have until next week before it's too late, otherwise I won't get my refund back :p

Thank you.

Hmm I'm sorry if I confused you, as I'm confused myself rightnow.

No, I'm not in the USA.

Umm, I left High school 4 months ago.

I spend exactly a 4 days in the university.

I had 3.8 GPA, which means 97% in stupid Kuwait.

I'm in RCSI Bahrain, got a 31 in the MCAT there, got examed before the interviews.

So... Have I just wasted my time/money ? they told me you need to go to med school first... Please help me out, I still have until next week before it's too late, otherwise I won't get my refund back :p

Thank you.

First, you need to go to a teacher in your department and talk this over with him/her.Make a list of all the questions you could possibly have on the topic and take it to them. Most of the people on this forum, myself included, live and go to school in the US and know absolutely nothing about how things work in Kuwait. Someone at your University will be better able to answer these questions for you.

Sorry for the initial reactions you got....we all thought you were a student here in the US and if that had been the case then the kind of questions you asked were very puzzling.

Goodluck!