genetics at a cc? to take or not to take

Started by rnnpmaybe
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

rnnpmaybe

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've been out of undergrad BSN for about a year and a half. will start med school pre-reqs in the fall at a university, but I am itching to get started again, and was thinking about taking some courses at a local CC to save money. Would taking genetics at a CC be a bad idea?
 
I've been out of undergrad BSN for about a year and a half. will start med school pre-reqs in the fall at a university, but I am itching to get started again, and was thinking about taking some courses at a local CC to save money. Would taking genetics at a CC be a bad idea?

Don't you have to take Bio I and II before you can take Genetics? Or is it more of a survey course and not a molecular genetics course?

I don't think it's a bad idea for non-traditional students. From what I've been told by a couple of admissions people, they frown on CC courses taken while simultaneously enrolled in a four-year university, not necessarily for someone who hasn't started pre-reqs yet and just wants to take a summer course before starting at the four-year school in the fall.
 
Although some would say CC courses are a bad idea, I think that the grades you get are more important. Although the course will not be as detailed as an upper division genetics, I think it will still give you a good background for the other upper division science you will take in the future whether it be cell bio, genetics, biochem, whatever. Just make sure you get that A, a B at a CC is bad news!