Genetics Major vs Biology Major?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cure0008

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was considering majoring in either Genetics, Cell Biology and Development (one major) or Biology. I only need two more science classes for GCD and I was wondering if it is worth it to have a GCD major compared to Biology major.
Either major is fine, I don't mind the two extra classes but i don't know if I would like to pay the extra $2,000 or so for the classes if choosing GCD as a major will not do any good for me. I hear that it does not make a difference what major you choose and I think that is really hard to believe.
So basically my question is does choosing GCD as a major make me even a bit more distinct as an applicant compared to those that choose Biology as a major (assuming everything else is the same)?

Thxs for ur help! It means a lot! :)

Members don't see this ad.

When I talked to my advisor, I was told that the gen bio major would make you more rounded in bio sciences, but if you did something like the GCD you have it could open you up to more specialized research opportunities.

I chose molecular/cell biology at my school, hoping to get into some research with one of the professors that does membrane physiology....just go with whatever interests you and what you want to learn about!

Would you really have to pay $2000 extra in course fees to switch to the Genetics major? I definitely wouldn't do it. Focus on other ways to stand out as an applicant, because I don't think this would help much. Both are bio majors.

Members don't see this ad :)
When I talked to my advisor, I was told that the gen bio major would make you more rounded in bio sciences, but if you did something like the GCD you have it could open you up to more specialized research opportunities.

I chose molecular/cell biology at my school, hoping to get into some research with one of the professors that does membrane physiology....just go with whatever interests you and what you want to learn about!

I am now in my junior year. I have a lot of research experience so that is not the problem. I can change to a GCD major for my senior year and do the extra two classes but I don't know if I should.
Thxs though for your response, I appreciate it!

No, which major you are doesn't do anything, it's how you do in those classes that is more important. Hell, there are English and Business majors in my med school class. As long as you have a decent GPA and MCAT you'll be fine for an initial review. Add some ECs, research, etc and viola you're a typical med school applicant. Of course this hinges on what other classes you wanna take and/or your ability to take said classes based on your respective institutions' rules.

Would you really have to pay $2000 extra in course fees to switch to the Genetics major? I definitely wouldn't do it. Focus on other ways to stand out as an applicant, because I don't think this would help much. Both are bio majors.

I would have to pay around $2,000.
I only have to take 8 credits (all science) my senior year if I am a bio major but I would have to increase that to 15 credits (two more genetics classes) if I switch to GCD. I will be applying this year for med school, so I have to decide now ( for indicating what my major is in my application)

... it's how you do in those classes that is more important. Hell, there are English and Business majors in my med school class...
I would encourage you to do the extra courses and get the Gentics over basic bio degree. A simple bio degree is the minimum. Your genetics degree does represent going further. The same is for those English & Business majors. They did more then the bare minimum. They not only met the core requirements for med school admission but went beyond minimum biology. When I was in medical school and and even now when I speak to medical school admin, I often hear that a simple biology degree is adequate but does not demonstrate anything above and beyond. They like to see the variety. they like to see the person who's mind allows them to excel in a philosophy degree or engineering degree or computer science degree or etc... while then turning around and chewing through the medical school core requirements and scoring well on the MCAT.

Thus, I say having a Business or English degree sets your classmates apart from your biology classmates in a positive way... it shows effort and it shows going beyond the pre-med cliche "biology major".

I would encourage you to do the extra courses and get the Gentics over basic bio degree. A simple bio degree is the minimum. Your genetics degree does represent going further. The same is for those English & Business majors. They did more then the bare minimum. They not only met the core requirements for med school admission but went beyond minimum biology. When I was in medical school and and even now when I speak to medical school admin, I often hear that a simple biology degree is adequate but does not demonstrate anything above and beyond. They like to see the variety. they like to see the person who's mind allows them to excel in a philosophy degree or engineering degree or computer science degree or etc... while then turning around and chewing through the medical school core requirements and scoring well on the MCAT.

Thus, I say having a Business or English degree sets your classmates apart from your biology classmates in a positive way... it shows effort and it shows going beyond the pre-med cliche "biology major".

Thank-you!! That is along the lines of what I was thinking, but I was not sure.

I would encourage you to do the extra courses and get the Gentics over basic bio degree. A simple bio degree is the minimum. Your genetics degree does represent going further. The same is for those English & Business majors. They did more then the bare minimum. They not only met the core requirements for med school admission but went beyond minimum biology.

I see the reasoning, but don't know if adcoms will necessarily know that the GCD is "beyond" a bio major at your school. It's different at every school. At mine, everyone who's a bio major picks a concentration like cell bio, evolution, biochem, etc., and none of those takes more classes than the others. And honestly, a "genetics, cell bio and dev" actually sounds pretty synonymous to a bio major to me...most bio majors choose these sorts of classes as their upper courses anyway. I don't think you'll get your money's worth for the benefit to your app, whatever it's worth.

Then again, there's also benefit to yourself - knowledge-wise, research opportunity and connection-wise, and heck, pride-wise. It sounds like you've already got a mind set to do it, so unless you've got a better way to spend 2 grand, go for it.

Nothing matters other than GPA and your MCAT. If you have a 3.95 in basket weaving (with minimum pre-reqs) vs a 3.5 in Genetics, the 3.95 is getting in, while the 3.5 is sitting on the waitlist.

:)

Sad but true.

The exception is if you did something cool like romantic languages with a minor in Genetics.. In that case, you might even get well above the standard Bio major.

I would have to pay around $2,000.
I only have to take 8 credits (all science) my senior year if I am a bio major but I would have to increase that to 15 credits (two more genetics classes) if I switch to GCD. I will be applying this year for med school, so I have to decide now ( for indicating what my major is in my application)

I still don't think it's worth it. I agree with the poster who commented on how bio majors are called different things at ever university, and if it has the word "bio" in it they'll probably treat it about the same. Like, my school has "Molecular, Cellular, and Developmental Biology" and then "Ecology and Evolutionary Biology" and I know successful pre-meds who have done both. There are so many different permutations of the bio major that I'm sure this particular one is nothing med schools haven't seen before. Save your money and spend it on something more worthwhile!