Genetics Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BMW M3

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My friend passed this question on to me. Can anyone see this as a valid question for step 1?

A 34 year old woman (P:1, G:1) has a 46XY down syndrome child. Genetic analysis revealed she has a t(14q21q) translocation. Assuming her partner is genetically normal, what are the odds that her next child will be phenotypically normal?

A) 1/6
B) 1/4
C) 1/3
D) 1/2
E) 2/3

I'm thinking (D) 2/3 with the assumption that monosomy 21 and monosomy 14 will terminate as abortions.

Members don't see this ad.

Dunno how great this website is, but they say the recurrence risk for DS with a balanced Robertsonian translocation is ~12% if the mom's the carrier. 88% isn't even close to any of the possible answer choices though...:confused:

A carrier parent can have a chromosomally normal child, or a child who is a balanced carrier like the parent, or a DS child. Curiously, the chance that such a couple will have another DS child depends on which parent is the carrier. When the mother is a balanced carrier of a t(14;21), there is about a 12% risk for another DS child to be born in each subsequent pregnancy. When the father is the carrier, the observed risk drops to about 3% for DS.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ah... i came across this website:

it is 1/2 chance for a normal child with a t(13q21q)

7trobEng.GIF

source: http://atlasgeneticsoncology.org/Educ/PolyMecaEng.html

In terms of the t(14q21q), from the question above, the nih website gives this explanation:
ch2f23.gif

source:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/bv.fcgi?rid=hmg.figgrp.219

I guess it all comes down to what the viability of the trisomy/monosomy is. Does anyone know if monosomy 14, monosomy 21 or trisomy 14 are viable?

Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't know if the 2x2 table works for this because of independant assortment of chromosomes. For example, if you get the robertsonian 14, you only have 50% chance of getting the maternal 21.

I also don't see how the answer can be 1/2 if you have 3 ways of getting a viable child:
1) Normal
2) Robertsonian 14 (balanced carrier)
3) Robertsonian Downs

therefore, with 3 viable options and 3 non viable options (as per the NIH picture above) I think the answer is: there will be a 2/3 chance that the future child will be phenotypically normal.

My friend passed this question on to me. Can anyone see this as a valid question for step 1?

A 34 year old woman (P:1, G:1) has a 46XY down syndrome child. Genetic analysis revealed she has a t(14q21q) translocation. Assuming her partner is genetically normal, what are the odds that her next child will be phenotypically normal?

A) 1/6
B) 1/4
C) 1/3
D) 1/2
E) 2/3

I'm thinking (D) 2/3 with the assumption that monosomy 21 and monosomy 14 will terminate as abortions.

If the parent has a balanced robertsonian translocation -> the theoretical recurrence risk is 1 in 3. Odds her child would be normal is 2/3.

and yes, I could see this as a valid question for step 1. why not?

Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't know if the 2x2 table works for this because of independant assortment of chromosomes. For example, if you get the robertsonian 14, you only have 50% chance of getting the maternal 21.

I also don't see how the answer can be 1/2 if you have 3 ways of getting a viable child:
1) Normal
2) Robertsonian 14 (balanced carrier)
3) Robertsonian Downs

therefore, with 3 viable options and 3 non viable options (as per the NIH picture above) I think the answer is: there will be a 2/3 chance that the future child will be phenotypically normal.

you are exactly correct

Same Q in BRS path (genetics chapter, p 62, number 2). The answer is 1/3 that child will have disease (answer from BRS: theoretically a person who carriers a robertsonian translocation with chromosome 21 and a second acrocentric chromosome has a 1/3 chance of having a child with trisomy 21...)