Genetics vs Physics II

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Quester

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm sorta stumped on what courses I should take for next term. Here's the scenario: I'm in sophomore and I still have to take full year of english, o-chem, half of math, and physics II. I'm not in any rush to take english or o-chem right now, but I am for physics II and genetics. For both of these courses the profs are apparently amazing, but there's no guarantee that they'll be teaching the same courses next year. So in your opinion, which course is harder, and more useful for MCAT? Btw, I'll be writing my MCAT next year summer so I'll have o-chem covered.

Members don't see this ad.

To me, Physics is both harder and more crucial for the MCAT. I'd definitely take that with the amazing prof. if you can. Everything you learn in Physics II is fair game for the MCAT. Genetics is covered a little bit on the MCAT but not to the extent that you'll learn it in class, so it's def. not as essential to do well.

*sigh* If you're really married to the taking the MCAT in the summer after sophomore year (something I would never recommend; if you really must be ahead of the game, take the January MCAT), then take Physics II. There is a reason it is a pre-med pre-req and Genetics is not; Physics II is much more highly tested on the MCAT than Genetics. Yes, Genetics is becoming more and more tested on the MCAT, but it's all stuff you should have had at least in some capacity in Bio I and II and the full-on Genetics course should only solidify those concepts, as opposed to stuff like electromagnetism which should be new to you in Physics II. Assuming you understand Punnet squares, dominant/recessive, and other basic concepts like that, you should be fine on Genetics for the MCAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
There's a ton of stuff from physics II that is on the mcat (electricity, sound, magnetism, circuits, etc)...you don't want to be without that class before taking the exam.

*sigh* If you're really married to the taking the MCAT in the summer after sophomore year (something I would never recommend; if you really must be ahead of the game, take the January MCAT), then take Physics II. There is a reason it is a pre-med pre-req and Genetics is not; Physics II is much more highly tested on the MCAT than Genetics. Yes, Genetics is becoming more and more tested on the MCAT, but it's all stuff you should have had at least in some capacity in Bio I and II and the full-on Genetics course should only solidify those concepts, as opposed to stuff like electromagnetism which should be new to you in Physics II. Assuming you understand Punnet squares, dominant/recessive, and other basic concepts like that, you should be fine on Genetics for the MCAT.

Nah...I'm taking the MCAT the next summer--after my junior year (although all my friends are taking it this summer)

Nah...I'm taking the MCAT the next summer--after my junior year (although all my friends are taking it this summer)

Ah OK, gotcha. Try and aim for an April date if you can so that you can submit on June 1st (assuming you're applying that same summer). Applying early is extremely important; those last couple weeks of O-Chem that you will have not covered yet isn't completely crucial for the MCAT and you can self-teach any of the important stuff.

Hey guys,

I'm sorta stumped on what courses I should take for next term. Here's the scenario: I'm in sophomore and I still have to take full year of english, o-chem, half of math, and physics II. I'm not in any rush to take english or o-chem right now, but I am for physics II and genetics. For both of these courses the profs are apparently amazing, but there's no guarantee that they'll be teaching the same courses next year. So in your opinion, which course is harder, and more useful for MCAT? Btw, I'll be writing my MCAT next year summer so I'll have o-chem covered.

Physics II, hands down. These are very difficult concepts and there's no way you can teach it to yourself with just physics I knowledge.

I understand why you may not want to take the MCAT after sophomore year, but that's what I did and it personally turned out really well for me. But then again, I had finished all the prereqs and then some.

Regarding Physics II vs. Genetics, I vote Physics II.

Physics II. Get the annoying pre-reqs over and done with, then move on to some electives.

I understand why you may not want to take the MCAT after sophomore year, but that's what I did and it personally turned out really well for me. But then again, I had finished all the prereqs and then some.

Regarding Physics II vs. Genetics, I vote Physics II.

He says he's just taking O Chem starting in the fall, so he can't take the MCAT this summer anyways.

He says he's just taking O Chem starting in the fall, so he can't take the MCAT this summer anyways.

Well, O-Chem this summer and math in the fall. English...not too sure yet. But as of now, I don't feel prepared to take the MCAT for this summer anyways.

Oh, I understand that. I was mostly referring to your overall comment on taking the MCAT after sophomore year. I'm arguing that if you had the prereqs and you felt comfortable, then there's no reason not to. In this case the OP should clearly wait.

Physics II, hands down. These are very difficult concepts and there's no way you can teach it to yourself with just physics I knowledge.

I have to disagree inregards to there being no way to teach yourself physic II, as I have done it myself ( and again in physics III) by just learning off the book and coming in to do the labs and exam. Also the labs were very easy, with step by step instruction on how to do the experiment, no real benefit in learning the concept. If you can visually understand the concepts, you can learn it yourself.

With that being said, you should take physics II, as it is a large part of the mcat. It would also benefit you more if the instructor is amazing, as the more into a class you, the better you are likely to do. It would do you good to focus on the why and how things occur, the concepts, rather then how to solve certain problems. If you can understand why something happens, the math will just follow along.

opps, double post

Last edited:
Gotcha. Thanks everyone. Hopefully it won't bring down my GPA... My premed courses in freshmen year weren't too "hot".