genomic imprinting/ epigenesis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dl9006

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
could someone help me understand this?

is genomic imprinting when a particular gene is only expressed when it comes from a certain parent?

Members don't see this ad.

could someone help me understand this?

is genomic imprinting when a particular gene is only expressed when it comes from a certain parent?

Yup. A small number of genes only need/want one functional copy for some reason or another. Gene imprinting comes in by deactivating one copy of the gene. I think the critical period is during gametogenesis. The genes are "wiped clean" and then imprinted. In humans, genes are imprinted by base methylation. Some genes are preferrentially imprinted in the male contribution, other genes preferrentially imprinted in the female oocyte. Once the zygote forms, the offspring will have one normal, active copy of the gene, and the other imprinted and deactivated.

If a gene is preferrentially deactivated on the male-contributed chromosome, only the allele coming from the maternal gene is expressed.

Yup. A small number of genes only need/want one functional copy for some reason or another. Gene imprinting comes in by deactivating one copy of the gene. I think the critical period is during gametogenesis. The genes are "wiped clean" and then imprinted. In humans, genes are imprinted by base methylation. Some genes are preferrentially imprinted in the male contribution, other genes preferrentially imprinted in the female oocyte. Once the zygote forms, the offspring will have one normal, active copy of the gene, and the other imprinted and deactivated.

If a gene is preferrentially deactivated on the male-contributed chromosome, only the allele coming from the maternal gene is expressed.

oh ok thanks for the explanation!

always so helpful :D

cheers