docscience

AZCOM (Junior Member)
10+ Year Member
Jan 9, 2008
AZ
Status
Medical Student
How many of you have prioritized location at the top of the list? (Geography, family, outdoor activities, etc)

I am a bit obsessed with the Bay Area...perfect weather...perfect geography....perfect vegetation...SF is one of the greatest cities in the US/World (dining, culture, diversity)...Oakland would be fine with me also.

My goal is to be a outpatient doc, hospitalist, or perhaps a fellowship in pulm/cc or neph. I do not care about prestige.
I think I would eventually want to practice in the Bay Area (though I am from Nigeria, grew up in the Northeast, and go to school in the southwest).

Would it be easier to land a gig in the Bay Area with having done a residency there? At a community program? Or would it be wiser to go to a University program, build my career (university programs more respected/well known, more opportunity for a fellowship) and then move out the Bay Area?

Thanks for the advice.

If there is one thing I have learned about med school/residency/career, I always seem to be one step behind! LOLz.
So I thought I would think ahead.

P.S. I only have one interview in the Bay Area...my scores are weak!

Last edited:
OP
docscience

docscience

AZCOM (Junior Member)
10+ Year Member
Jan 9, 2008
AZ
Status
Medical Student
bump

anyone? would appreciate the info

Sep 24, 2010
Status
Medical Student
I agree with most of what you said about the bay area except the weather! It does get pretty cold in winter and rains a lot too. IMHO, perfect weather would be SoCal:)

For residency I think if you have the opportunity to go to a good university program, I would go with a university program. If you come from a good uni program you can get a job anywhere, not just the bay area, which might not be the case if you go to a community program that a potential employer has not heard about.

Bay area is not only very competitive for residency but also for jobs. So you will obviously have better chances if you do your residency there but it is by no means a given.

Also, the pay-scales are lower in the bay area compared to other states and parts of California. For example, rural Cali or places like Fresno pay more than what you earn in the bay area. Personally, I do not care about that as long as I can do what I love in a place that I love and can pay off my debt within a reasonable amount of time!

OP
docscience

docscience

AZCOM (Junior Member)
10+ Year Member
Jan 9, 2008
AZ
Status
Medical Student
For residency I think if you have the opportunity to go to a good university program, I would go with a university program. If you come from a good uni program you can get a job anywhere, not just the bay area, which might not be the case if you go to a community program that a potential employer has not heard about.

Bay area is not only very competitive for residency but also for jobs. So you will obviously have better chances if you do your residency there but it is by no means a given.
Thanks for the reply lordjesus! How do you know this as a medical student? Been looking at the job openings and such?

Any fellows/hospitalists care to shed some more info on the subject?

I would like to follow family that is moving to the Bay Area but wouldn't be able to get into UCSF to say the least, and my PD has told me that I will have a hard time matching into the community programs also. Any advice? Should I take a good university program that I can match into and then move to the Bay Area after 3 years of residency? Give a struggling medical student some perspectives!!

Thanks!!

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2010
Status
Medical Student
Thanks for the reply lordjesus! How do you know this as a medical student? Been looking at the job openings and such?

By talking to people I know, friends in residencies, my med school faculty, doing my own research, etc

Any fellows/hospitalists care to shed some more info on the subject?

I would like to follow family that is moving to the Bay Area but wouldn't be able to get into UCSF to say the least, and my PD has told me that I will have a hard time matching into the community programs also. Any advice? Should I take a good university program that I can match into and then move to the Bay Area after 3 years of residency? Give a struggling medical student some perspectives!!

If you have invites from good university programs and the bay area interview is from an average community program with poor fellowship placement, I would go with the good university programs. Remember, there is no guarantee that you will get a job in the bay area just because you completed your residency there.

Thanks!!

OP
docscience

docscience

AZCOM (Junior Member)
10+ Year Member
Jan 9, 2008
AZ
Status
Medical Student
If you have invites from good university programs and the bay area interview is from an average community program with poor fellowship placement, I would go with the good university programs. Remember, there is no guarantee that you will get a job in the bay area just because you completed your residency there.

Thanks!!
So what do employers look for?