George Mason University Undergraduates

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Aerodynamics

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm a 2nd (2nd year will be at GMU) year undergraduate student attending Christopher Newport University. I went there originally because I needed to commute (couldn't afford to live on-campus). However, after a year of working hard, I've been offered a very generous scholarship at George Mason University (one of the four universities that I applied to; ironically enough no love from VCU or JMU, both of which are more poorly ranked than GMU!)

I'm pretty ecstatic about my scholarship, however, I am in the need of some advice.

I plan on majoring in Microbiology at GMU, does anyone have experience with it?

Also, I haven't heard of, well, anyone who has gone to Medical School from George Mason. WIll my chances of attending Medical School be lesser because of the fact that I am attending GEorge Mason University?

Also, any input on rigor would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers!
Aero

Members don't see this ad.

A lot of students get accepted to medical school from GMU. The majority of their accepted applicants seem to get into med schools in the area such as UVA, VCU, EVMS, Georgetown, GW, and Howard but a there are a few each year that get into some not-so-local and prestigous medical schools as well.

As a matter of fact, one of my friends at GMU this year managed to pull acceptances to Hopkins, Darthmouth, Georgetown, and UVA. He also had interviews at several other schools that he declined after getting some acceptances, so its definitely possible. I think the MCAT definitely seems to be the difference however, the students with better (30+) MCAT scores seem to do really well. My friend had a 37 MCAT. The average MCAT that the prehealth committee publishes for Mason applicants is around a 24 I believe.

A lot of students get accepted to medical school from GMU. The majority of their accepted applicants seem to get into med schools in the area such as UVA, VCU, EVMS, Georgetown, GW, and Howard but a there are a few each year that get into some not-so-local and prestigous medical schools as well.

As a matter of fact, one of my friends at GMU this year managed to pull acceptances to Hopkins, Darthmouth, Georgetown, and UVA. He also had interviews at several other schools that he declined after getting some acceptances, so its definitely possible. I think the MCAT definitely seems to be the difference however, the students with better (30+) MCAT scores seem to do really well. My friend had a 37 MCAT. The average MCAT that the prehealth committee publishes for Mason applicants is around a 24 I believe.

I believe in 2006 or 2007, only four Mason students were accepted to Med schools. It might have gotten a little better since then.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does any one have a working link for GMU matriculation statistics?