George Washington vs. Temple

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bloosecloose

Reaction score
GW
Pros
  • Nice clean city, feels safe. Never lie away from home and could enjoy it.
  • Systems-based curriculum, more step oriented
  • 10 weeks dedicated step
  • No internal rank
  • NIH opportunities available.
Cons
  • Increased COL and tuition
  • 2.5 hours from home

Temple
Pros
  • Lower COL and tuition
  • Close to home
  • Culture is more aligned to social justice.
Cons
  • The area is unsafe. I went to Temple for Undergrad and got jumped twice, this is a big factor for me.
  • 6 weeks dedicated step
  • Anatomy is done all at the beginning, and the curriculum is less step oriented.
  • Internal rank
Summary: I'd like to go to GW for a new (likely safe) experience and for possibly better opportunities, but the low cost of Temple and Temple being close to home is making me wonder if GW is worth it.

Members don't see this ad.

A ~$10k/year tuition difference really isn’t that bad at the end of the day, and it sounds like you’d really prefer to go to GW, so I say do it! It’s still not too far from home (~2 hours, right?) and it can be nice to explore a new city for a few years.

Would you live with family while at Temple? In that case the difference in cost could be more substantial. But as long as the total COA difference is within $100k, I would just go to the school you really want to go to.

Reactions: 1 user
There is currently a "Name and Shame" thread for GW on r/medicalschool, just fyi: Link

Reactions: 1 user