Georgetown interview-Student interviewer a bad sign?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

minnie2240

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys- I had an interview at Georgetown and I was the only person that whole day whose interview was with a trained 4th yr medical student.

I know they say that it doesn't mean anything but I'm really nervous about it. Does it mean that they didn't think I was qualified or going to get it so they stuck me with a student?

Did anyone else have a student interviewer at Georgetown and have any thoughts??

Members don't see this ad.

minnie2240 said:
Hi guys- I had an interview at Georgetown and I was the only person that whole day whose interview was with a trained 4th yr medical student.

I know they say that it doesn't mean anything but I'm really nervous about it. Does it mean that they didn't think I was qualified or going to get it so they stuck me with a student?

Did anyone else have a student interviewer at Georgetown and have any thoughts??

If they thought that u werent qualified, then you wouldn't be at the interview in the first place. I think it's all random, Someone would have to wind up with the student. Just be glad it's you. Maybe you'll have more in common and talk up a storm.

Relax my man, you had an inexperienced interviewer and IMHO this can really be an advantage. The older docs probably can sniff out BS better than the rookies. How did it go?

Members don't see this ad :)
I had a 4th year student interview me last year. I don't think it was a disadvantage in any way. One other person in my group also had a student interviewer. I did feel that I would've done better if I had a faculty interviewer. This studnet was in the midst of his residency apps and telling me all the programs he's interviewing at for ortho. He seemed to be a bit arrogant and did not really try to sell the school to me. I got waitlisted and eventually withdrew from the school. I didn't even write that one page letter that Georgina said will almost definitely get you in. I think teh student interviewer really ruined the experience for me. That was just one aspect of it though. I also didn't write that letter becuase I got in elsewhere.

well i had the dean of admissions when i interviewed there... he kicked my butt. most (and only) hostile interview i had out of 10. i guess it's not always good to get the higher-ups. it's probably just random, i'm not sure if the students have as much sway on an admissions board but that varies by school and is only a guess...

It's funny, because at my Georgetown interview I had a rookie faculty member. Clearly, this prof hadn't ever been on the adcom before. She didn't read my file before hand, I waited for her to get settled in her office (she wasn't there when I showed up, on time). Her phone went off multiple times, and she actually answered it on one occasion.

I could tell she was actually spending time trying to think up questions to ask me (they were really standard) and I didn't feel it was a particularly effective interview. I tried to prod the conversation in my direction and to get what I wanted to say across, but I don't know if she was listening.

So, rookies, in my opinion, aren't the best. I like student interviewers - at least you can find out some more hard facts and the realities of studying at x medical school.

CTSballer11 said:
Relax my man, you had an inexperienced interviewer and IMHO this can really be an advantage. The older docs probably can sniff out BS better than the rookies. How did it go?

I think pretty well. He definately had a list of pre-written questions but it really seemed like he had read over my application and remembered things to ask about more than other doctors at other interviews. He also seemed to really listen to my responses and probe to get more information instead of glossing over the topics.

The only thing was on some tough questions, I hesitated more than I had in the past. It was strange for me because I had to balance between being formal and also trying to gain a better rapport with him because he was a student. Overall, I don't think I messed up but I thought it would have been more conversational. But i guess he was just trying to be professional. Thanks for the input!