Georgetown Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

italianlove

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm going up to G-town on Tuesday and was wondering if any of you who have interviewed there had any advice/comments about the school. How was your interview? What was your general impression of the school/students? I was already at interviewfeedback but was wondering if you all had anything to add? Your help is greatly appreciated! Thanks and good luck to everyone. Ciao.

Members don't see this ad.

I just interviewed there a week and a half ago, I really liked it. Read up a little on health policy if you haven't recently because they like to ask people questions about health care and ethics. Overall, the interview isn't bad though, mine was with a fourth year. PM me if you have any specific questions.
-Jacob

i interviewed there in early January and loved it. on interviewfeedback.com there is a lot of gripe about mrs. sullivan but i thought she was absolutely eloquent and offered some sage advice, which i would have liked earlier on in the process but appreciated nevertheless.

i didn't get probed with health policy questions but that seems to be a theme there.

also, i didn't have much down time throughout the day, esp bc i had the 2:00 interview but just be aware of that... i needed to confirm my ride to the airport and didn't really have time to until AFTER my interview. so if there's something you are planning to get done during the day, don't expect a whole lot of sitting around...

good luck!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I was at Georgetown last week and I loved the school. My interview was pretty laid back, and I don't think they mean for their interviews to be stressful. But they are a Jesuit school with a specific philosophy and whatnot..so the school isn't for anyone. But there really isn't need to do research on whether it is for you, because your interview day and Mrs. Sullivan's talk will tell you most everything you need to know. Their program isn't for everyone, but if it's for you, let them know, because they want people that want them!
Good luck!

i was at georgetown back in Oct. and totally agree with Goose, et al. Georgetown definitely isn't for everyone, and you don't need to research the school all that much before hand; they tell you everything you need to know during the day and their interview packet is fairly extensive as well (in terms of detail, etc.)
My interview was really laid back (with a female pediatrician). It was closed-file, which may be important for you to know. I was asked questions like What do you do in your spare time, etc...I find that the ethical questions come during open-file interviews where they already know the basics about you (this has been my experience anyway). At closed-files, they ask more generic interview questions, like where are you from...

i had an open file interview. just one with faculty. georgetown is pretty cool. they have a good philosophy and dr. sullivan's talk is one that you have probably never heard in your life. have fun.

I actually had a very different impression of Georgetown. I enjoyed Ms. Sullivan's talk, but I did not see the essence of what she discussed in the students I met. Just keep in mind that Georgetown is NOT FOR EVERYBODY. Dont worry, Ms. Sullivan makes this PERFECTLY clear in the info session.

I also found the dean of admissions (my interviewer) quite difficult to talk to. He DID NOT ONCE make eye contact during the entire 45 minute "talk" in which he asked me prescribed questions and scribbled down my answers. All in all, I just left the place unimpressed with any aspect of the program. On top of that, there is VERY LITTLE research going on there, so if research is something that interests you, that might be a consideration. While the NIH and other government organizations are closeby, there is little on-campus research going on.

Keep an open mind, but I left with a really bad taste in my mouth.