Georgetown or Wake Forest?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

boogah

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi ya'll, just discovered this site recently, and have a question on how to choose between wake forest and georgetown. wake forest was great and cheaper, but its kinda boring. georgetown is in DC which is awesome, but costs almost 70k (including housing etc). what is you guys' sentiment? your input is appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I would save the money and attend Wake, unless you think you will be MUCH happier in DC or will be able to perform better in school because of the environment at Georgetown.

winstonsalem is pretty sorry and boring, that's coming from friends i have who are doing their undergrad. there. the med school is supposedly like a 10 min drive from the main campus so it's still in winstonsalem. D.C. sounds like it'd be pretty badass...i'd choose location over money issues. you're gonna be able to pay back your loans no prob when you become a doctor anyway.

$70k/yr is crazy tho...haha so idk. keep in mind wake isn't considered cheap either. they're both expensive schools but georgetown is apparently just ridiculous haha

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd holla at Gtizzle. But it's really a personal decision.

georgetown...and i say that even while i'm breathing into a paper bag over my neuro midterm on monday. :laugh:

thanks for your input guys. wake is much cheaper, about 50k including housing, so its a 20k difference from georgetown. this is definitely something i need to think about! any other input related to curriculum differences, facilities, etc?

Facilities:
I worked at Georgetown a few years back, and I can speak from experience that the facilities are subpar at best. Most of the medical center looks like it hasn't been renovated since the 80's. Some of the small classrooms have been redone, and they are continuing to do work around the place, but the lecture halls, the library, anatomy labs, etc. are all underwhelming.
Facilities: Wake Forrest (big time)

I don't know about Winston-Salem, I'm in Chapel Hill right now, but I miss DC. It is a really great city with a lot of unique opportunities because it is the nation's capital. Then again, will you really have time to take advantage of those opportunities during the academic year while studying medicine? DC is definitely a better city, but I doubt you'll get enough out of it to justify the tuition. DC is best experienced as a summer intern IMO.

Academics:
I don't know much about either school's academics. Three of my friends while I worked at GU were medical students and they seemed neither thrilled nor disgusted by the curriculum. It is very traditional (read lecture based) from what I heard, which I suppose is good or bad depending upon what type of learner you are.
Academics: Wake Forrest (by a little)

Wake Forrest is definitely a better bang for your buck, but if money isn't a question than perhaps you won't mind shelling out for the chance to live in an exciting urban environment. Good luck with your decision.

Facilities:
I worked at Georgetown a few years back, and I can speak from experience that the facilities are subpar at best. Most of the medical center looks like it hasn't been renovated since the 80's. Some of the small classrooms have been redone, and they are continuing to do work around the place, but the lecture halls, the library, anatomy labs, etc. are all underwhelming.
Facilities: Wake Forrest (big time)

I don't know about Winston-Salem, I'm in Chapel Hill right now, but I miss DC. It is a really great city with a lot of unique opportunities because it is the nation's capital. Then again, will you really have time to take advantage of those opportunities during the academic year while studying medicine? DC is definitely a better city, but I doubt you'll get enough out of it to justify the tuition. DC is best experienced as a summer intern IMO.

Academics:
I don't know much about either school's academics. Three of my friends while I worked at GU were medical students and they seemed neither thrilled nor disgusted by the curriculum. It is very traditional (read lecture based) from what I heard, which I suppose is good or bad depending upon what type of learner you are.
Academics: Wake Forrest (by a little)

Wake Forrest is definitely a better bang for your buck, but if money isn't a question than perhaps you won't mind shelling out for the chance to live in an exciting urban environment. Good luck with your decision.

Georgetown did a big overhaul in the curriculum. Also, a nice looking lecture hall doesn't translate to a better physician. As for clinical experience, Georgetown has affiliations with Washington Hospital Center, Childen's National Medical Center, and a bunch of hospitals in the MD/VA area that can give you a lot of experience that Winston-Salem probably can't offer. Research wise Georgetown is better than it gets credit for.

My daughter went to Wake for UG and will be returning for residency this summer. Winston Salem has 220,000 people in its metro area and is an hour from Chapel Hill, Greensboro, Durham, and Raleigh.

The Wake Forest Medical Center is a level 1 trauma center and there are other smaller hospitals in the area.

Basically, you are looking at an urban setting (Georgetown) with everything that gives and takes away from you in that setting. The Winston Salem area is less crowded, easier to get around, but does not offer a night life that would be available in DC.

The money may or may not be an issue but I don't know how you will have money to enjoy a night life that you do not have the time for if you go to Georgetown. Medical school will keep you busy.

You are lucky if you have these choices. Good luck.

Georgetown for the following reasons:
1. Location.
2. Reputation.
3. Campus/facilities.
4. Network.
5. Diversity.

If you are planning on staying in DC or around this area, it would be great because you can start building your network there. I have been to Georgetown. A bit pricey, especially if you are on a student budget, but I love it regardless.

My daughter went to Wake for UG and will be returning for residency this summer. Winston Salem has 220,000 people in its metro area and is an hour from Chapel Hill, Greensboro, Durham, and Raleigh.

The Wake Forest Medical Center is a level 1 trauma center and there are other smaller hospitals in the area.

Basically, you are looking at an urban setting (Georgetown) with everything that gives and takes away from you in that setting. The Winston Salem area is less crowded, easier to get around, but does not offer a night life that would be available in DC.

The money may or may not be an issue but I don't know how you will have money to enjoy a night life that you do not have the time for if you go to Georgetown. Medical school will keep you busy.

You are lucky if you have these choices. Good luck.

some parts of DC are urban, for sure. the part that georgetown is in by and large looks pretty suburban in places. and since the first 2 years you live and die in the med/dent building, it isnt a hugely overwhelmingly urban experience.

i'll write more tomorrow presuming i'm not preparing to take M1 over again after this neuro midterm. so wish me some luck! ;)

Georgetown for the following reasons:
1. Location.
2. Reputation.
3. Campus/facilities.
4. Network.
5. Diversity.

If you are planning on staying in DC or around this area, it would be great because you can start building your network there. I have been to Georgetown. A bit pricey, especially if you are on a student budget, but I love it regardless.
ummm I think Wake might have GT in reputation and campus/facilities

Well comparing the cost of attendance provided by each school for the upcoming school year shows the cost difference is around 12k if I remember correctly (I don't have the financial aid stuff with me here). While that still is a fair amount of cash, I wouldn't use the cost difference as that big of a deciding factor. At the end of the day they are both expensive but you'll still be able to pay the debt off without a problem.

I'd try to judge reputation based on match lists. From what I can see, if you do well at either school you can end up in anything you want, but Gtown seems to always do at least a little bit better year to year. Obviously just my opinion and I really don't think you could go wrong with choosing either. Ask yourself where'd you be happiest and just go with it and don't look back.

ok...here we go:

dont make your decision based on match lists or "facilities"

-a match list can't tell you the difference between what people were "qualified" for and what people simply wanted to do. if 100 people want to do internal medicine, it doesnt mean they werent "good enough" to do surgery, it means they *wanted* to do internal medicine.

-as for facilities, i will grant you that the outside of georgetown hospital does look a bit outdated, and our lecture halls arent uber-modern. the med school is slowly undergoing an overhaul inside as we speak, but there is only so much money for doing these sorts of things. i dont think how attractive my lecture hall is detracts from my education one iota. and, the inside of the hospital is top notch, and frankly that's what counts anyway. no patient at G'town hospital thinks less of the care they recieve because the outside of the building is still made of the original brick. go look up the cyber knife. we have two of them :D.

what you *should* be choosing your school based on is the kind of educational and life experiences you want to have in medical school. i dont know anything about wake forest so i wont comment on it, but i can tell you a bit about my experience at georgetown. a few comments:

-the education style is mostly lecture based although i believe with the new curriculum coming in next year, there will be more small group and case based learning in addition to the traditional style lectures. there is a lot of enthusiasm coming from the faculty for the new curriculum. the deans and faculty are very receptive to student concerns and input (we have "deans lunches" every month or two), and i'm sure there will be changes made next year based on the suggestions from my class. in general, i enjoy the academics here very much, and i have liked the vast majority of my classes. we have a very open and friendly atmosphere amongst all the students, and despite the curved grading scale, there is no shortage of people sharing review materials and working together.

-DC is a great place to be a student. when you get the time to go out, you will never be short of things to do or places to go. it is, of course, probably more expensive than north carolina. the cost of living in the immediate G'town area is double what I would have paid to stay in NJ.

-Georgetown's philosophy of Cura Personalis; and serving the underserved. you wouldnt have been accepted if they didnt think you had something to offer in this department. you will be expected to fulfill a 20hr service requirement before graduation, and there is heavy emphasis on social justice. be prepared to roll up your sleeves and get involved. (sooner or later everyone catches on ;)). in this vein, G'town has the first and only student run free clinic in the city, the HOYA clinic. it's a great way to serve the community, and to boot, we get mega hands on time with real patients, and the Dr's that run the clinic are great teachers and wonderful people.

-Hoya basketball. 'nuff said :D [this was more impressive last season, i know ;)]. it's still a fun afternoon out anyway, and we get discounted tickets.

-Great patient contact/clinical opportunities at any of the MedStar hospitals that are affiliated with Gtown, throughout DC and in nearby areas of VA and MD.

-opportunities to lobby on Capitol Hill for medical legislation. this got spouted at me non stop when i got here and i didnt really see what all the fuss was about...and what on earth was i going to do as a first year anyway? two weeks from now i'm going up to Capitol Hill to lobby for better legislation for children with Fetal Alcohol Syndrome, as part of an elective i'm taking. you wont be doing this sort of thing at many other schools. there is also an M4 elective on medical legislation/healthcare bill writing sort of stuff, if this is something you get excited about.

-finally, you should be aware that we have a research paper requirement for graduation. the good part is that it doesnt have to be bench research. the bad part is, i guess, that you have to do one. however, to be competitive for residency the odd paper or two certainly wouldnt hurt, so think of it as enforced resume building.

i could probably go on, but i think you get the point. dont discount Gtown because of the price. take some time objectively with what both schools have to offer before you make a choice. feel free to PM me or reply if you have any questions.

in a word, wake forest. oh wait - that was 2 words. everyone has their biases as to what would make a school "good." i wouldn't even have to think about this choice though....