Wake Forest Winston-Salem vs. Wake Forest Charlotte

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

sharpincapacity10

Full Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone, I'm really happy to be accepted into Wake Forest and I'm trying to decide between campuses. Since the Charlotte campus is so new, they don't have any match data that would help my decision. I'm not sure what I want to do, but I want to keep my options open for competitive specialties. With Charlotte being such a new campus, I'm worried that they won't have the research infrastructure in place. Any advice on going to a newer campus vs an older one?
 
I’m not sure if you toured both campuses but it helped me make my decision so just thought I would share.

At both WS and CLT it seems like they have plenty of opportunities for research. Several students I’ve spoken to have shared that they have received more opportunities than they have time for. They mentioned that even if something isn’t at the CLT campus, they’re establishing it and that being able to play a part in founding initiatives has been a unique experience since they have frameworks from the WS campus to use which has helped eliminate a lot of the stress associated with building something from scratch. They said some students are commuting to WS for things like the wildness medicine certificate since it’s not really suited for the CLT area.

Simply considering the number of home residency programs for each campus, WS wins out. But I was told that students from both campuses will have the flexibility to rotate at both campuses. Paired with the ~1 hour commute between campuses, it seemed to me that most people decided based on the differences in location (city vs suburban), curriculum (required faculty led small group vs optional traditional lectures) and anatomy (virtual/plastinated throughout preclinical vs traditional cadaver block).