Georgetown Post-bacc 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shuff89

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey SDN!

I will be attending Georgetown for their postbacc program starting in the fall of 2012, and was wondering who else will be? I'd love to see if anyone else on here is going, so respond here or PM me and we can probably even get a facebook group going :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi im actually waiting to hear back from them! I hope i get in also!

How did they notify you? by mail? and what was the turnaround time? (time you submitted your app vs when they notified you)

Hey SDN!

I will be attending Georgetown for their postbacc program starting in the fall of 2012, and was wondering who else will be? I'd love to see if anyone else on here is going, so respond here or PM me and we can probably even get a facebook group going :)

Hey Shuff, what program did you get accepted to? The SMP? ABS? Just wondering :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied to the Georgetown PBPM program, but they are waiting for my grades from the classes I'm currently taking before they decide to offer acceptance. I'm guessing it will be no problem as I'm getting A's in both of the classes, but I won't know officially until mid-May. I've got Harvard Extension School as my backup though.

SwanksButler: It took them about a week to get back to me via email after my application was received in full.

Hey! I got into the postbac program, and I applied the beginning of January and heard back around the third week in January. They let me know by email. I was accepted for the fall semester, and am currently waiting to hear if I can switch to the summer start date instead, so I can do the program in one year. However, they've been pretty quick about getting back to me so good luck!

I am going to be starting the Georgetown Post Bacc this summer, cant wait!

Does anyone here know if Georgetown has any linkages?

It has no linkages.
I thought it had automatic interviews at Georgetown for the top 50% of the SMP class? at least that's what I was told on the phone today.

I'm going too! Is there a facebook group? I'd like to start getting housing etc. set up.

There are two programs at Georgetown. There is the Postbaccalaureate Program and there is the SMP. They are completely different.

Hey! I just got in and I was wondering how you liked the program. Was it worth it?
Congratulations! I applied a few days before the deadline. How long did it take for you to hear back?

As a current student at Georgetown (2015), I wanted to write a post with some information I wish I had had prior to enrolling here. Here goes!

-Advising
The program website touts “one-on-one advising” and other academic support.
Nope. You can ask the undergraduate pre med advisor for advice, but advising is definitely not built into the program. In short, if you need some serious advice and counseling, you’re going to have to look elsewhere (friends, colleagues, or the advising system at your undergraduate campus)

-Classes
You’re in georgetown undergraduate classes, so the academic standard is up to snuff. Some professors (especially in the chem and physics department) are amazing and take a special interest in post bacc’s- offering some extra support. The classes were similar to those I experienced as an undergraduate - definitely challenging but doable with hard work.

one MAJOR issue with classes however, is registration. More often than not, there are not enough post bacc seats in the classes or lab sections and students are wait listed (for instance, there are 6 spots in Mammalian Physiology… and over 60 total post baccs). This is particularly shocking in a post bacc pre med program, where the whole point is that students are there specifically to take a set list of classes with little to no flexibility. Not being able to register has been a point of serious frustration every term. Its possible to get off the wait list, but either way its a huge headache and frankly goes to show how little Georgetown cares about its post baccs.
-Volunteer and seminar opportunities and information in the health field.
This is another claim made on the program website. Totally false, disregard this claim altogether. However, there is obviously a huge amount of opportunity to volunteer or work in the DC metropolitan area. You just have to find it on your own!

These are the major issues I’ve experienced with the program. In general, its very much a “do it yourself” situation. If you have specific advising or classroom needs, I wouldn’t recommend it. But if you are a capable person well on your way to med school but just need the classes under your belt, Georgetown has got what you need. Its realistic to get a solid GPA and find some opportunities that interest you in the area. Unlike the intensive programs (think Bryn Mawr, Goucher) you will have extra time on your hands to get some extracurricular experiences in if you are needing in that area. But be wise and don’t believe everything the program website says!

Good luck!

Last edited: