Georgetown Post Bacc -- Thoughts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sladkfjaslk

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am considering the Georgetown Post-Bacc Pre-Med program on my route to dental school. I have read everything that I can find on this message board about the program, and I've only really seen negative things.

I've had a discussion with the director, Mark Esrick, and he is really unimpressive. He seems incredibly disorganized. Also, I heard from him that students in the post-bacc program usually have to take their labs on the weekends.

I would be interested in hearing thoughts, particularly from anyone currently or formerly enrolled in the program. I am currently living in the DC area, so relocation is not a consideration.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Dr. Esrick is actually more helpful than he appears. I've talked to a few current and past students from the program, and everyone seems to love it. It's really flexible (you can get into labs during the weekdays), the school has a solid reputation, and everyone I've spoken with is sitting on 4+ acceptances into choice schools. I've been accepted at a number of post-bacs (NYU, UPenn, etc.), but am attending Georgetown in June because I'm from DC and impressed with what they have to offer. PM me if you want further insight.

I'm thinking about Georgetown too and have similar concerns. I've emailed Dr. Esrick twice but haven't heard back; how did you reach him? I'm looking at Hopkins as well, but it seems like such a stressful place...

Sorry I don't have more to say about Georgetown...

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I had an interview with him last year and was similarly not impressed. He comes across as somewhat gone-to-seed and scattered when you converse with him, and his cluttered little hole of an office does not help matters.

In part because of that meeting, I felt as though Georgetown's program was not particularly structured or carefully thought through, and ended up going elsewhere.

I went through GU's post-bacc program and had a very successful application cycle. I'm currently a first-year at Georgetown.

The chair of the post-bacc program gets passed between the bio, chem, and physics departments every four years. By my count, Dr. Esrick (a biophysicist in the physics department at Georgetown) is in his third year. I wouldn't call him absolutely organized, but he is actually a good person and helpful when you have his attention. I can see, however, why someone might not be so impressed by the program just from speaking with him.

The bottom line at Georgetown is that you get to take the pre-req classes as if you were a regular undergrad student, in the regular undergrad lectures with the same professors. Your grades are therefore indicative of your performance relative to the entire undergrad class, and your pre-med committee letter will also reflect your standing among all of Georgetown's undergrad pre-meds. A good showing in the program is therefore a good indicator that you are well qualified for med school; combine that with a good MCAT score and the usual applicant points (personal statement, clinical exposure, etc.) and you have a great shot when you apply. I contrast this with programs like Harvard's, which is well regarded but has its own separate post-bacc classes and grades.

I can see why someone people might not like the program, but it really played to my desires and strengths. I'm certain that I would never have gotten into medical school without it. I've posted before in support of the program, but if you have specific questions feel free to PM me or post here. (You may have to wait a day or two for a reply, sorry about that.)

for those of you that have been accepted to georgetown post-bacc premed, how long did it take them to make a decision about your status? did you need an interview? did they let you know by e-mail/snail mail, etc.? they didn't really have in depth admissions requirements on their website, so if some of you don't mind answering this, what kind of a student were you before you entered the program?

I was accepted and am planning to attend the gtown smp this fall. I submitted my application online jan 1st, it was processed jan 3rd, i was emailed that it was 'complete' and under review on jan 31st, then on feb 8th i was emailed with a congratulatory acceptance. it is just about all through email, but they also sent a paper-mail acceptance to go along with it a few weeks later after they inspect your credentials. ive heard of them interviewing some borderline candidates, but like I said, I did it all electronically.

I graduated uc santa barbara in fall of 06 3.39 (3.21 bcpm) b.s. biological sciences, mcat 29R (b10 p10 v9) plenty of extracurriculars and experiences, I applied to 18 allopathic schools across the country, 0 interviews, still waiting on 4 east coast schools for a response. the program is great if your academics need a little help, b/c they kinda make you re-take the mcat before you get there and give you great adviser help through the process. if you need to boost your extracurriculars dont do it here cause you wont have time, hope this helps

good luck

DocBez, I think the question was regarding the pre-med postbacc program, not SMP.

I can't remember exactly how I was admitted, but overall I wouldn't say that it's really hard to get in. You do need to show some minimum GPA IIRC. The details are certainly vague on the website, and I can tell you that the admissions criteria are also not cast in stone. Granted, someone with a GPA of 1.5 may not get in, but someone with a borderline case may stand a chance after speaking with the program director.

I spent several years between getting my B.A. and going back to school, but I was a pretty lousy undergrad student. In fact, my GPA was not high enough to get into the PBPM program right away. I ended up getting in after taking gen chem just as a regular continuing education student and doing very well in it.

thanks guys! blee, did they e-mail you and let you know that they received your application? how long before you got an acceptance letter and did they ask for an interview?

thanks guys! blee, did they e-mail you and let you know that they received your application? how long before you got an acceptance letter and did they ask for an interview?
Honestly, I can't remember how it all happened. Sorry about that. If you're unsure of your status, try emailing or calling the program director. I know he can be a little hard to contact at times, but he's actually helpful when you can get hold of him.

I applied to the Georgetown PBPM program last summer and mailed in my application end of August. There is no interview, though I talked to the program director a few times and even visited the school to meet him and discuss the program. I received an acceptance packet in Mid-February of this year even though they say they'll get back to you within 6 weeks. I sent them a letter saying that I was going to a different program and 3 weeks later I received a letter with IT info like my email address, signing into their computer system, etc. On the whole I was pretty disappointed in my experience communicating with the program. In any case, some people will have good experiences with the program, others less good and at least from the administrative side that I experienced, I wasn't too impressed. I have an all right GPA (not high from an applying to med school standpoint) from a great university after studying mechanical engineering.

I applied to the Georgetown PBPM program last summer and mailed in my application end of August. There is no interview, though I talked to the program director a few times and even visited the school to meet him and discuss the program. I received an acceptance packet in Mid-February of this year even though they say they'll get back to you within 6 weeks. I sent them a letter saying that I was going to a different program and 3 weeks later I received a letter with IT info like my email address, signing into their computer system, etc. On the whole I was pretty disappointed in my experience communicating with the program. In any case, some people will have good experiences with the program, others less good and at least from the administrative side that I experienced, I wasn't too impressed. I have an all right GPA (not high from an applying to med school standpoint) from a great university after studying mechanical engineering.
Well, to be fair, you applied in August of 2006 for a program you intended to start in June or August 2007. And once they decided in February to accept you, your info was probably sent straight to IS to set up your netID. They were probably not made aware of your decision not to attend. Don't get me wrong, I definitely agree that the current program director is at times not as responsive as he should be. And if they say six weeks, they should honor six weeks.

At any rate, the administrative side notwithstanding, the academics at Georgetown are excellent. The teaching was good and the competition was strong enough to make the grades mean something. I doubt Georgetown has the monopoly on that sort of thing, but someone looking for a good rigorous post-bacc won't be disappointed once they arrive.

Thanks for all the replies. The administration at Georgetown seems really bad. I applied to start in the summer, and I have not heard back yet. I have a very high GPA from a top 10 school, so I can't imagine that I wouldn't be qualified enough. I've been waiting at least 2 months for a response from them. What is the typical turnaround time for them?

Thanks for all the replies. The administration at Georgetown seems really bad. I applied to start in the summer, and I have not heard back yet. I have a very high GPA from a top 10 school, so I can't imagine that I wouldn't be qualified enough. I've been waiting at least 2 months for a response from them. What is the typical turnaround time for them?
I'm surprised that you haven't heard back. You ought to give them a call.

i sent in my app over two months ago for summer start. i hadnt heard a word from them and just got an acceptance letter in the mail on monday. seems like there is no rhyme or reaosn to their timing :)

Does it matter what undergrad instutition you come from? I go to a state school but it's not that well known.

I am trying to decide if I want to attend the Georgetown PBPM program too. The admissions process did seem very disorganized, yet I believe it was due to a change in which office sent the acceptance/rejection letters.

Similar to the original post, I am nervous about the number of negative comments about the Georgetown program on this website. No matter what program I attend I will take an MCAT review course, so I am disappointed that they do not have one. I am disappointed that they do not have linkages as well. The lack of information provided on the program and the lack of an MCAT prep course makes me feel that the post-bacc students will end up being treated like any other pre-med undergraduate student. Therefore, I am nervous that it will be difficult to find friends and study partners for the year since it seems we will have little to no formal contact with the other post-baccs.

If anyone has information on what it's like as a student in the program, such as "in the life of a GPBPM coming from outside DC" that would be very helpful.

Also, what is the best way to find housing? I am disappointed that they don't help the post-bacc students live close to each other.

I am trying to decide if I want to attend the Georgetown PBPM program too. The admissions process did seem very disorganized, yet I believe it was due to a change in which office sent the acceptance/rejection letters.

Similar to the original post, I am nervous about the number of negative comments about the Georgetown program on this website. No matter what program I attend I will take an MCAT review course, so I am disappointed that they do not have one. I am disappointed that they do not have linkages as well. The lack of information provided on the program and the lack of an MCAT prep course makes me feel that the post-bacc students will end up being treated like any other pre-med undergraduate student. Therefore, I am nervous that it will be difficult to find friends and study partners for the year since it seems we will have little to no formal contact with the other post-baccs.

If anyone has information on what it's like as a student in the program, such as "in the life of a GPBPM coming from outside DC" that would be very helpful.

Also, what is the best way to find housing? I am disappointed that they don't help the post-bacc students live close to each other.
I don't mean this in an offensive way, but how much hand-holding do you want? I will readily agree with anyone who says that Georgetown's PBPM program requires its students to do some of their own legwork when it comes to the business of preparing for med school. I personally saw this as a benefit, not a drawback. I didn't want special treatment from the rest of the undergrads. I didn't want to be coddled into a program-specific MCAT prep course, or post-bacc-only classes, or post-bacc-specific advising. Linkage might have been nice, but even there I didn't want to make that sort of commitment so early in the process.

You will, for the most part, be treated like any other pre-med undergraduate student. This is a GOOD thing. Your grades will mean something, and your pre-med committe letter will mean something. You will be expected to show some independence, which is not to say that you will be alone -- it isn't hard to find friends.

On that note, I did have some concerns about meeting up with other post-baccs, but it turned out not to be much of a problem. As a somewhat older student, I naturally gravitated toward other PBPM students. At the same time, however, it was easy for me to talk to and study with anyone else in the class; for example, I would occasionally find a spot at a table in the science library with a few other students to go over something. If you take a summer course, you might find it easier to find post-baccs before starting the school year; otherwise, you'll still have plenty of chances to find study partners with similar backgrounds to yours. For one, the PBPM program director always hosts a (rather boring) informational meeting at the beginning of the fall semester.

I would never consider Georgetown if I didn't already live in NoVA. I'm choosing between Tufts, Georgetown, and alacarte classes at UVA. I can't imagine someone moving here for the Georgetown program. Without linkages, why would anyone move to DC and pay for such an expensive program? The Georgetown name isn't all that impressive. You're better off finding an in-state tuition option. That's why I'm leaning towards UVA.

for the georgetown program, is it mandatory to apply for the 2008 Amcas?

for the georgetown program, is it mandatory to apply for the 2008 Amcas?
Not for the post-bacc pre-med program. IIRC, you do have to have a current AMCAS application for the SMP.

Some of this info above is a little out of date (early 2000's). Im a current student (2015) with some more recent info- hopefully this helps!

-Advising
The program website touts “one-on-one advising” and other academic support.
Nope. You can ask the undergraduate pre med advisor for advice, but advising is definitely not built into the program. In short, if you need some serious advice and counseling, you’re going to have to look elsewhere (friends, colleagues, or the advising system at your undergraduate campus)

-Classes
You’re in georgetown undergraduate classes, so the academic standard is up to snuff. Some professors (especially in the chem and physics department) are amazing and take a special interest in post bacc’s- offering some extra support. The classes were similar to those I experienced as an undergraduate - definitely challenging but doable with hard work.

one MAJOR issue with classes however, is registration. More often than not, there are not enough post bacc seats in the classes or lab sections and students are wait listed (for instance, there are 6 spots in Mammalian Physiology… and over 60 total post baccs). This is particularly shocking in a post bacc pre med program, where the whole point is that students are there specifically to take a set list of classes with little to no flexibility. Not being able to register has been a point of serious frustration every term. Its possible to get off the wait list, but either way its a huge headache and frankly goes to show how little Georgetown cares about its post baccs.
-Volunteer and seminar opportunities and information in the health field.
This is another claim made on the program website. Totally false, disregard this claim altogether. However, there is obviously a huge amount of opportunity to volunteer or work in the DC metropolitan area. You just have to find it on your own!

These are the major issues I’ve experienced with the program. In general, its very much a “do it yourself” situation. If you have specific advising or classroom needs, I wouldn’t recommend it. But if you are a capable person well on your way to med school but just need the classes under your belt, Georgetown has got what you need. Its realistic to get a solid GPA and find some opportunities that interest you in the area. Unlike the intensive programs (think Bryn Mawr, Goucher) you will have extra time on your hands to get some extracurricular experiences in if you are needing in that area. But be wise and don’t believe everything the program website says!

Good luck!

Last edited: