Georgetown Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hoping!

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys:

So I got invited for an interview at Georgetown that would fall in the middle of February and I'm wondering whether I should make the trip out there or not. I am already holding acceptances at a couple of other schools, one being one of my top choices. Do you think the Georgetown interview would be for a wait list spot?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hoping! said:
Hey Guys:

So I got invited for an interview at Georgetown that would fall in the middle of February and I'm wondering whether I should make the trip out there or not. I am already holding acceptances at a couple of other schools, one being one of my top choices. Do you think the Georgetown interview would be for a wait list spot?

Thanks!

If you've gotten in to one of your top choices why even bother. I'd say save yourself the money. Just my opinion though.

Do you really think you might go to Georgetown over the other top school you were accepted to? If yes, then go for it and visit. But if you're in at one of your top choices and don't think there's much chance for Georgetown, then cancel. I was debating this same decision and just decided to cancel the Georgetown interview. The cost is just too much.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hoping! said:
Do you think the Georgetown interview would be for a wait list spot?

if this is part of your decision, I wouldn't worry about it. I don't think Georgetown is anywhere close to filling their class yet.

anyway, I agree with bkflaneur, if you are still considering attending Georgetown you should go to the interview, otherwise you're probably wasting your time and money ;)

Hoping! said:
Hey Guys:

Thanks!

I'm kind of in the same position. I don't think I'm going to go to anymore interviews because they just cost too much. A hundred bucks here and a hundred bucks there really starts to add up quickly. I just don't think I can afford it anymore.

where else did you get in? that would help

SpeedRacer said:
where else did you get in? that would help

UW Madison and MCW...leaning toward Madison right now.

Hoping! said:
UW Madison and MCW...leaning toward Madison right now.

definitely madison. well, that's at least what i'd pick. and if you're a wisconsin resident even better, right?

SpeedRacer said:
definitely madison. well, that's at least what i'd pick. and if you're a wisconsin resident even better, right?

Would you pick it over Georgetown? I think Madison is ranked a lot higher as far as I know....

Hoping! said:
Would you pick it over Georgetown? I think Madison is ranked a lot higher as far as I know....

i personally would pick anything over georgetown. but if i wasn't so biased, i'd still pick madison over georgetown.

SpeedRacer said:
i personally would pick anything over georgetown. but if i wasn't so biased, i'd still pick madison over georgetown.

Just out of curiosity, what's your bias against Georgetown? I don't know too much about the school...

there is SUCH a strong bias against Georgetown on this board. I really don't understand it...

PM me if you want info about the GT interview day. I had a good time, but I can understand why you would want to stay in state over a private school. congrats again :)

Members don't see this ad :)
anystream said:
there is SUCH a strong bias against Georgetown on this board. I really don't understand it...

yeah, ive noticed that too...personally, i love georgetown!

gintien said:
yeah, ive noticed that too...personally, i love georgetown!

me too - i had a great time at the interview and it seemed like a wonderful school. is there something i missed?

bug22catch said:
me too - i had a great time at the interview and it seemed like a wonderful school. is there something i missed?
did you miss the decrepit facilities and aloof administration?

exmike said:
did you miss the decrepit facilities and aloof administration?

i got a totally different impression. as for the facilities, i liked the practice exam rooms and classrooms, and everything that was in that area of the med school. that part looked pretty nice to me. i also stayed in the hotel attached to the school so I was able to wander around the night before, nice conference hall, gym, coffee shops within the undergrad complex. Can elaborate on what you saw? I went on about 15 interviews, and everything looked about average to me compared to the other schools I visited. If I missed something though, I wanna know!

I can understand if people don't like their philosophy (not for everyone) or the way they conduct the interview day (that waiting room was pretty stressful), but other than that I thought it was fine.

I feel like G'Town has a really distinct curriculum that you either love or hate. Personally I liked the ethics classes, the classes on alternative medicine and the emphasis on clinical training but I can see why someone who is really into research might not love the school. I feel like it is a great school for some people and not a good fit for others. That's my impression and that's essentially what Mrs. Sullivan said outright. They have a pretty amazing match list I thought so obviously they are doing something right

What I really like about GT is the fact that they have lecture notes you can buy so if you miss a class or two, no biggy...I also like the city itself and how much clinical exposure you get as a 1st and 2nd year. Yeah, the buildings are kind of old but I dont really mind that...plus the campus is next to the undergrad campus which is a huge plus for me...as for the aloof administration exmike, maybe it was different when you were there...I thought the admin was great :)

anystream said:

PM me if you want info about the GT interview day. I had a good time, but I can understand why you would want to stay in state over a private school. congrats again :)

about the bias - i think there will always be people with biases toward certain schools. if you loved the school, then ignore it! if i fell in love with a school i wouldn't give a **** what anyone else thought about it.

just because some people think gtown sucks is no reason not to go.

congratulations and just ATTEND!

Speed, I'm curious to know why G'Town seems to have to put you off.

I did my masters work at Georgetown (not SMP, but still in the dept of medicine), and to some extent, I feel that I should defend my alma mater (of sorts...I will always be a Wolverine first :D ). I thought that the interview was fantastic - parts of it seemed a bit long-winded, but in all fairness it was one of the most thought-provoking and memorable that I've had so far. I believe that the administration really does want you to understand what their curriculum and philosophies are all about, and they truly encourage you to think long and hard about your choice(s). I know that the facilities are outdated, but, then again, so are the facilities at many other schools (yes, even other private institutions...two that I can think of right off the bat).

But it is the faculty at Georgetown that is truly phenomenal. And no, they are not a research giant, but there is more interesting stuff going on in their science buildings (hell, on my floor in the med/dent building!) than you can shake a stick at. If you are interested in research, I think that Georgetown would be a wonderful place to go. In some ways, I think the smaller setting is more ideal. You interact with more departments (many of the classes and research tends to be interdisciplinary) and you don't get lost in the fray like at massive research institutes. It's a matter of quality over quantity. I can think of 4 or 5 labs in my department alone that I would have been absolutely thrilled to be in as a graduate student. And that's just basic research; I haven't even scratched the surface of their clinical research opportunities.

So, yes, there are definite downsides - most notably the cost and outdated facilities (except for the Integrated Learning Center - I thought that was rather unique!), but there is no lack of research opportunities, and the curriculum is quite appealing. There is so much going on at Georgetown...they have a great emerging infectious disease program, health & science policy, CAM, just to name a few. As I said, Georgetown is, by nature, very interdisciplinary. But take it from me, someone who has spent the past year taking in the department of medicine, taking grad and med classes, Georgetown is a great institution and would be a kicka$$ place to spend 4 years.

Go to the damn interview and decide for yourself.

(PS and the lecture note set for Physiology is FANTASTIC!!! You hardly even need a textbook!)

it's a great school. i just wouldn't go there. i think everyone else should go. there's always someone who's not gonna like a school. doesn't mean anything. i didn't even apply there so this doesn't really concern me anyway.

i'm sorry i said anything - i was just saying the person should go to madison over georgetown.

gintien said:
What I really like about GT is the fact that they have lecture notes you can buy so if you miss a class or two, no biggy...I also like the city itself and how much clinical exposure you get as a 1st and 2nd year. Yeah, the buildings are kind of old but I dont really mind that...plus the campus is next to the undergrad campus which is a huge plus for me...as for the aloof administration exmike, maybe it was different when you were there...I thought the admin was great :)

Notes are student run, almost every school has them. You know whats better than notes? Video streamed lectures that are synchronized with powerpoints. Several schools have that system now. Clinical experience? eh.. i dont know, most school have decent clincal experiences for M1/M2s now. The ultra traditional curriculum (non organ based) with the tremendous amount of redudancy is frustrating. Being underground all day is depressing, as is the fact that the library isnt soundproof, and if you go to the undergrad library you have to jostle for study carrels with undergrads. And dont get me started on diversity at GU..

I'm not saying that GU is a bad place to go to medical school. Actually I think its is a pretty good medical school. I think they teach their students very well, and DC is an awesome city. It just has some warts (as all schools do) that I find off putting enough that I wouldnt choose it.