Georgetown Reputation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MakeItRain2007

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have heard from the grapevine that Georgetown School of Medicine is not a very good medical school, and that its reputation in the medical community is not highly regarded. Is there any truth to this? I have heard this from multiple unrelated sources. Is this just bad information or could this be related to Georgetown going bankrupt in the early 2000's and being bought by a company?

Your thoughts please.

PS: Anyone know Georgetown's Match results?

Members don't see this ad.

I have heard from the grapevine that Georgetown School of Medicine is not a very good medical school, and that its reputation in the medical community is not highly regarded. Is there any truth to this? I have heard this from multiple unrelated sources. Is this just bad information or could this be related to Georgetown going bankrupt in the early 2000's and being bought by a company?

Your thoughts please.

PS: Anyone know Georgetown's Match results?

Any reputation is good reputation in my book. You just need a publicist to spin it.

It's fairly well-ranked (if you buy into those rankings as a measure of how good of an education you'll receive), but I think some would say that the medical school's reputation is just riding on the coattails of the Georgetown name.

Who cares so much about reputations though? If you liked the school and think you'd do well there, forget what everyone else says. At the end of the day, you still get the same M.D. regardless of what U.S. allopathic school you go to.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you do care about a reputation, though, I think Georgetown does have a pretty good reputation. I would definitely apply there, then go check it out for yourself and see how you like it.

How about Georgetown medical students' success on Match? Do they do well? I cannot find anything (numbers/stats)...anyone want to point me in the right direction?

Were these sources of yours studentdoctor.net members? It seems as though Georgetown Med gets a bad rap on these boards for one reason or another. I do not attend Georgetown Med. I went to Georgetown for undergrad and currently work in the Lombardi Cancer Center in Georgetown's Medical Center. From what I can tell, people on this board have this idea that Georgetown Med was about to close due to financial issues. This was never the case. Yes, they were in the hole, but many hospitals find it hard to turn a decent profit. I don't think the education ever suffered through those years of financial trouble, and now that the hospital has been bought by a non-profit, the money situation there has improved quite a bit. New administration is also planning on rectifying all of the financial problems. Another thing people harp on Georgetown is its Catholic heritage. If you knew anyone from Georgetown Undergrad, or any of its Graduate schools, they will tell you that Georgetown is as catholic is as you want it to be. The religous presence here must be one of the smallest of any well known catholic schools.

I know that in my class of undergrad biology majors, some of our best and brightest went on to Georgetown Med. I work with the teachers and scientists here each day, and can attest that the ones I have met are very friendly and knowledgeable. It is still ranked in the top 50 on the US News rankings, and you will see that the match list is also quite good. Yes the facilities aren't stupendous, but I have learned to deal with it. Georgetown is not a science power house, we are more for Humanities, Internation Relations, and Law. But our sciences are strong nonetheless. Don't let others on here persuade you with hearsay and rumors.

You can't exactly compare it with hopkins, but then again rankings really don't matter and neither does the school you attend. its about what you DO at that school. Georgetown is a good school, and it still has a very good household name that will catch the eye of whoever is looking at your app. It was their stupid secondary app, their crazy high 2ndary app fee, and their amazingly high tuition that kept me from applying there.

You can't exactly compare it with hopkins, but then again rankings really don't matter and neither does the school you attend. its about what you DO at that school. Georgetown is a good school, and it still has a very good household name that will catch the eye of whoever is looking at your app. It was their stupid secondary app, their crazy high 2ndary app fee, and their amazingly high tuition that kept me from applying there.

Me as well. I am sure there are MANY others too. They want such a rediculous amount of cash! And then their essay...