Georgetown SMP Application Thread for 2015-2016 Class

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
would you mind posting exam dates for the SMP/M1 shared modules ?
Based on the google calendar we got:

MCP: Aug 21, Sep 3
MNE: Sep 21, Oct 5
CP: Dec 17, Jan 14
GI: Feb 2
RNL: Feb 19
SDR: Mar 11

From Jan 14th and onward, those days consist of two exams: lecture exam in the morning and gross anatomy practical after lunch.

Members don't see this ad.

Based on the google calendar we got:

MCP: Aug 21, Sep 3
MNE: Sep 21, Oct 5
CP: Dec 17, Jan 14
GI: Feb 2
RNL: Feb 19
SDR: Mar 11

From Jan 14th and onward, those days consist of two exams: lecture exam in the morning and gross anatomy practical after lunch.
thank you !

This maybe a little late, but are people still hearing back from admissions? I applied really late and am having bad feelings about my application. I think I have pretty standard stats:

GPA: 3.25 (with upward trend)
MCAT: 32

Letters of rec from Vice-Chairmen of Research at medical school, Chief of a Department at a Hospital, and current Professor I am researching with. I have clinical volunteer experience in Africa as well as some experience doing EMT work. Do I still have a chance?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
This maybe a little late, but are people still hearing back from admissions? I applied really late and am having bad feelings about my application. I think I have pretty standard stats:

Letters of rec from Vice-Chairmen of Research at medical school, Chief of a Department at a Hospital, and current Professor I am researching with. I have clinical volunteer experience in Africa as well as some experience doing EMT work. Do I still have a chance?
I think you definitely have a chance.

Your numbers are competitive. Consider writing a letter of intent to express your continued interest in attending the SMP. At this point they'll be most interested in accepting people who will definitely attend. If you applied this year and were unsuccessful, that would be a good point to mention.

How likely is it to get in if I submitted my app but they are just waiting for my MCAT preliminary score (1-2 weeks)? is the class full? will i go straight to wait list. I will definitely go if I get in and get financial aid.

Has anyone heard about financial aid yet?
I just got off the phone with financial aid advisers:
  • Apparently they should send out awards in the next couple of weeks (I was told that 3 months ago)
  • Here is an estimate for the amount that will be awarded: https://finaid.georgetown.edu/cost-of-attendance/SMP
  • If you accept the entire amount, you cannot receive any additional private educational loans (you can receive personal loans, just not educational ones
How are people planning on covering costs of living? $22,000-24,000 seems like very little for DC.

I just got off the phone with financial aid advisers:
  • Apparently they should send out awards in the next couple of weeks (I was told that 3 months ago)
  • Here is an estimate for the amount that will be awarded: https://finaid.georgetown.edu/cost-of-attendance/SMP
  • If you accept the entire amount, you cannot receive any additional private educational loans (you can receive personal loans, just not educational ones
How are people planning on covering costs of living? $22,000-24,000 seems like very little for DC.
I heard people can get by through accepting all of the loans without having to get additional private loans.

I just got accepted on Friday, got off the waitlist. Applied around January/ February, got onto the waitlist in March, and accepted in June. I'm super late to the game, so any tips/advice would be much appreciated.

In terms of financial aid, do you guys think there's a chance at all to try to get some before the school year begins? Does it just consist of loans anyways?

Just finished undergrad at Georgetown and attending SMP next year. I've lived in DC for 3 years and 20k is more than enough to live comfortably. The most expensive cost of living would be housing (over 1k/month just about anywhere in DC), but you can get by spending less than $1000/semester on food if you're smart about it.

Kaj, Georgetown is a tad stingy with financial aid so I doubt they will dish it out before the year starts. I would typically get a few emails saying I owed money before the payments to the University hit and my account was credited.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I know this is super late, but I just got in off the waitlist and am trying to decide between two programs: Tulane Masters of Pharmacology and the Georgetown SMP. A little background about me, I went to Northwestern, cGPA 3.1, MCAT 32. I think I've gone back and forth between the two programs 20 times already and just need to decide already :p

I understand that the program is going to be the most difficult year of my life so far, but I was wondering if anyone had any advice to offer.

I know this is super late, but I just got in off the waitlist and am trying to decide between two programs: Tulane Masters of Pharmacology and the Georgetown SMP. A little background about me, I went to Northwestern, cGPA 3.1, MCAT 32. I think I've gone back and forth between the two programs 20 times already and just need to decide already :p

I understand that the program is going to be the most difficult year of my life so far, but I was wondering if anyone had any advice to offer.
Isn't Tulane an almost guaranteed acceptance to Tulane med?
I would take that over Georgetown SMP tbh.

I think the biggest things to consider are what you're learning and where it's getting you. You'll be spending a year on a 2nd year course at Tulane, which is absolutely useful, whereas at Georgetown you're doing multiple organ systems in different disciplines that cover the 1st year of medical school. I just started doing crazy STEP 1 research because my sig other is taking it next spring/summer, and since that exam is super super super important once you get into medical school (because high STEP usually = great residency, which is even more important than where you go to med school according to many), one of the reasons why I'd consider GU over Tulane's Pharm masters is the breakdown of the test:

"20%–30% Normal structure and function
40%–50% Abnormal processes
15%–25% Principles of therapeutics
10%–20% Psychosocial, cultural, occupational, and environmental considerations"

^ With physiology and pathophysiology being anywhere from 60-80% of the STEP 1 questions, vs. 15-25% pharm and related, I think the greatest long-term success is in GU's curriculum.

For where the programs get their students, GU has ~50% year-of and 80% within a couple years success rates for *medical* school, generally. A fair number of that extra 20% do decide that they do not want to pursue medical school while in the program. For Tulane's, I could only find ~2/3 to medical, dental, and graduate/doctoral schools, with no time range. You may want to compare the school lists (you can see by class year for GU) and see what makes the most sense for you in this part.

Of course, Georgetown is anything but cheap. :p There are many other factors to consider for you, I'm sure, but these are probably the most standout to me. Hope that helps!

Reactions: 1 users
Hi, I'm very new here but I am interested in your input on this important decision! I was recently accepted and having a very hard time with my decision (that I'd like to make ASAP for all those waiting!). I have 3.7cGPA 3.5sGPA and and a 30-31 MCAT2015 but switched my major later in undergrad and used AP credits for many of my med school prerequisites (which is why I felt an SMP would be a good opportunity to prove myself for any doubts). However I'm concerned with the potential for this to hurt me more than help me if I do not perform near a 4.0. Any current SMPers in or know of someone that was in a similar situation as me?

Edit: Also, I understand this program will hurt anyone that performs poorly. I'm more concerned that because I still do satisfy most medical schools' requirements (and have taken upper level coursework), I'd be making a poor, expensive, decision to attend.

Last edited:
Hi, I'm very new here but I am interested in your input on this important decision! I was recently accepted and having a very hard time with my decision (that I'd like to make ASAP for all those waiting!). I have 3.7cGPA 3.5sGPA and and a 30-31 MCAT2015 but switched my major later in undergrad and used AP credits for many of my med school prerequisites (which is why I felt an SMP would be a good opportunity to prove myself for any doubts). However I'm concerned with the potential for this to hurt me more than help me if I do not perform near a 4.0. Any current SMPers in or know of someone that was in a similar situation as me?

Edit: Also, I understand this program will hurt anyone that performs poorly. I'm more concerned that because I still do satisfy most medical schools' requirements (and have taken upper level coursework), I'd be making a poor, expensive, decision to attend.

I think you should apply early and broadly and skip the SMP.

Reactions: 2 users

Given your numbers, this program is way too expensive and dangerous for you. A poor performance will absolutely sink your application, a mediocre performance will hurt you as well. This program does not benefit you enough to take on that risk.
The problem that you are trying to correct for "I switched my major later in undergrad and used AP credits to meet med school prereqs" is an imaginary one.
I concur with the previous poster in suggesting applying early and broadly.
If you really want to "prove yourself for any doubts", you are much better off taking upper divisional undergraduate coursework. That would be the cheaper and much smarter decision IMO.
There are many cautionary tales of people with your numbers having their applications damaged by doing SMPs unnecessarily. Doing any one of the following: working a clinical job, doing research, taking undergrad upper division science classes, volunteering, doing a regular nonSMP Masters program, working a random nonmedical job, possibly retaking MCAT if you come from a difficult state (CA), would all be better options than doing this program. Literally anything, any other option would be a better idea for you than this program.

Edit: Wait, you mentioned that you've already taken upper level coursework? Yeah don't do this program. Instead just get your applications in for medical school and do any of the suggestions during your gap year.

Last edited:
Given your numbers, this program is way too expensive and dangerous for you. A poor performance will absolutely sink your application, a mediocre performance will hurt you as well. This program does not benefit you enough to take on that risk.
The problem that you are trying to correct for "I switched my major later in undergrad and used AP credits to meet med school prereqs" is an imaginary one.
I concur with the previous poster in suggesting applying early and broadly.
If you really want to "prove yourself for any doubts", you are much better off taking upper divisional undergraduate coursework. That would be the cheaper and much smarter decision IMO.
There are many cautionary tales of people with your numbers having their applications damaged by doing SMPs unnecessarily. Doing any one of the following: working a clinical job, doing research, taking undergrad upper division science classes, volunteering, doing a regular nonSMP Masters program, working a random nonmedical job, possibly retaking MCAT if you come from a difficult state (CA), would all be better options than doing this program. Literally anything, any other option would be a better idea for you than this program.

Edit: Wait, you mentioned that you've already taken upper level coursework? Yeah don't do this program. Instead just get your applications in for medical school and do any of the suggestions during your gap year.

Thank you and @BurntFlower for your input! I think I was extremely attracted to the new GTDT incorporation of clinical/volunteer experiences within the curriculum in my decision to apply at first. But it seems to me in my situation, despite my extreme interest in that, I may be taking a HUGE gamble.

Question about applying to AMCAS from the program:

If you already submitted your AMCAS application before an acceptance to the SMP, and did not list your SMP classes, would that be looked down upon?
What do you think?

I was annoyed by this, since I got into the program pretty late in the summer, and had already submitted my AMCAS application without the SMP courses. I was wondering because when we do submit the SMP letters/transcripts, I did not know how much it mattered if I listed the future courses or not.

Input from any of you is appreciated.

Question about applying to AMCAS from the program:

If you already submitted your AMCAS application before an acceptance to the SMP, and did not list your SMP classes, would that be looked down upon?
What do you think?

I was annoyed by this, since I got into the program pretty late in the summer, and had already submitted my AMCAS application without the SMP courses. I was wondering because when we do submit the SMP letters/transcripts, I did not know how much it mattered if I listed the future courses or not.

Input from any of you is appreciated.

It shouldn't make a difference - take it as an opportunity to reach out to the schools and thus indicating continued interest in them. ;) Include the list of classes in the email.

It shouldn't make a difference - take it as an opportunity to reach out to the schools and thus indicating continued interest in them. ;) Include the list of classes in the email.

Thank you for the reply. That sounds great, I will do exactly that. I hope medical school is going well/will go well for you. :thumbup:

Thank you for the reply. That sounds great, I will do exactly that. I hope medical school is going well/will go well for you. :thumbup:

And best wishes to (all of) you in the SMP! :D

Reactions: 1 users
I'm currently applying to the SMP. I've uploaded my AMCAS application and for the written sections I know it says to upload a document that reads 'See AMCAS statement' if it's covered in there, but do I need to upload my resume in the 'Work experience/resume' section or do I upload that document again that says to refer to my AMCAS app? Everything is covered in there so I'm not really sure what to do. Thanks!!