Georgetown SMP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

femme

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Whats the info on the Georgetown SMP? I read in the RFU and BU threads that G-town is the best bet for the one year plan...what, in particular, does GU do for their students to ensure their success? How is it geared in that direction? Any info will help. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

femme said:
Whats the info on the Georgetown SMP? I read in the RFU and BU threads that G-town is the best bet for the one year plan...what, in particular, does GU do for their students to ensure their success? How is it geared in that direction? Any info will help. Thanks!

I am applying to Georgetown's SMP program too (unless of course a medical school comes through at the last minute with an interview and acceptance).

Their website has lots of information about the program: http://smp.georgetown.edu/index.htm

It looks like a great program to me. You take actual medical school classes with the current first year Georgetown School of Medicine students. It basically allows you to prove yourself, and if you do well enough they will likely admit you the next year at Georgetown or at another medical school. If you get mostly A's against actual medical students, how can they turn you down?

You can read all about the program on their website.

is there a website where you can do a nationwide search for SMP programs. There is a link in one of the past threads but that only gives you only like 6 schools, there has to be many more than just 6. So if anyone has the website, could you please post it. Thanks.

Akshat

Members don't see this ad :)
Akshat said:
is there a website where you can do a nationwide search for SMP programs. There is a link in one of the past threads but that only gives you only like 6 schools, there has to be many more than just 6. So if anyone has the website, could you please post it. Thanks.

Akshat

The AAMC website has a search engine for post bacc programs..
here's the link:
http://services.aamc.org/postbac/

Akshat said:
Akshat

My advice is to go to each medical schools website and see if they have a program. I have a list of over twenty programs. Not all are masters some only offer certificate for the one year and a masters after two. Most are structured to help you get into a profesional program allo, osteo, dental. My question would be where do you want to live/go to school. I know of only a few in the west most are east coast. Almost every osteopathic school has a program if you are so inclinded to go that route. Also money should be a concern since the most well known programs are very expensive. Finch 50k BU about that, GT a little cheaper but not much. Tulene is much cheaper 14k for one year. They have a couple of different programs if you want to live in the big easy. Colorado State has one. They list you get from the AMA is not complete nor up to date. There are more then double the amount of programs that it lists but its a good start.

Just remember that its not as straightforward as they make it seem to gain admission into GU med from the SMP program. Despite what they say, if you are in the "gray area" for acceptance (e.g. 3.5-8ish) there is a lot of non objective stuff going on.

exmike said:
if you are in the "gray area" for acceptance (e.g. 3.5-8ish) there is a lot of non objective stuff going on.

is that "gray area" your SMP gpa or overall?

femme said:
is that "gray area" your SMP gpa or overall?

Im talking about yoru SMP gpa. thats the main factor in gaining admission to GU Med. Get a 4.0 and you're virtually gauranteed admission.

exmike said:
Im talking about yoru SMP gpa. thats the main factor in gaining admission to GU Med. Get a 4.0 and you're virtually gauranteed admission.

3.8 isn't good enough? :confused: Their website says that the top 10% gets A's and the next 10% gets A-'s. Being in the top 20% of their medical school class (who you're competing against in most of the classes) is a "gray" area?

tacrum43 said:
3.8 isn't good enough? :confused: Their website says that the top 10% gets A's and the next 10% gets A-'s. Being in the top 20% of their medical school class (who you're competing against in most of the classes) is a "gray" area?

Yes, I agree with ex-mike. I had a friend who finished the program with a 3.8GPA. He had a 3.0 undergrad and 31 MCATs, didnt get in. Retook his MCATs, got a 38, applied again to GU and STILL didnt get in. Ended up going to his state school thou, Medical College of Virgina.... so........ if your getting a 3.5-3.8 at GU, I think you'll get in somewhere else if not GU

Wow, okay then. 4.0 at Georgetown's SMP? How hard is that to come by? It says they usually accept about 20% of SMP people who apply and interview about 50%? Do all 20% have 4.0s?

tacrum43 said:
Wow, okay then. 4.0 at Georgetown's SMP? How hard is that to come by? It says they usually accept about 20% of SMP people who apply and interview about 50%? Do all 20% have 4.0s?

I am currently in the SMP program, and this is the breakdown as I have been told by former SMP students and the faculty. About half of the class interviews at Georgetown. You do this by maintaining at least a 3.5 in the program throughout the year (both graduate and medical school classes, the graduate courses are relatively easier than the medical school courses). The big decision maker is a medical school physiology course which is a 7 unit, VERY rigorous class. This is the equivalent of the undergraduate weeder courses (ie. organic chemistry) that separates the class. You basically need an A, sometimes an A- in this class to get accepted to Georgetown. This means that you score in the top 10% of the MEDICAL SCHOOL class, by no means an easy task.

Other factors go into whether or not you interview/get accepted at Georgetown. It is considered a year-long interview, what you do in the community also is looked at. I have heard of past students who got a 4.0 in the program but were known amongst the class (and administrators) as "not so friendly" and did not get an interview whereas there are a few people with lower GPA's that get in. Word gets around, even though there are 150 people, it is a close group. Those are the exceptions though; there are no set cut-offs so the "extras" that you do mean a lot. Also, interviews for the SMP class do not occur until April, so they see a lot of your grades for the semester before evaluating you. It's a tough program, but a good way to test your readiness for medical school and prove your abilities.

Thats what i mean. I didnt want to say it outright but you've brought it up so I will. "Year long interview" means they can play favorites with the students. It was VERY EASY to tell by the beginning of the second semester who would have the advantage getting in. We had informal "bets" on who would get in and it turned out right most of the time. They might tell you that kissing ass and brown nosing is useless, but its not true. Not everyone has a fair shot at getting in all things equal. I'd rather not elaborate on what my classmates and I observed in this forums, but just remember that as you go through the year. For the record, I DID get an A in physiology, and I DID NOT submit a secondary to GU for the above reasons and others.

I am a current student in the program too and, while i agree with all the things that have been said, i kind of wonder just how important these "extras" can be in terms of admissions. when the program first started, i was very intent on trying to find some volunteer work around the area because it seemed like the schedule permitted it. however, the program administrators who i contacted told me to forget about the volunteering and extra-curriculars and to focus solely on academic studies. also, i may not know as much about the goings-on as other people in the program, but i don't think i could pick out many individual students about whom i could say "oh, i bet he/she's definitely going to get in to gu." anyway, from what i can gather, i agree that it's mostly contingent on your grades in the smp whether or not you are accepted and even more so as to whether or not you are invited for an interview. and, with that, i'll agree that it's really difficult. that physiology exam we had today... damn, it was really difficult. we'll see how it goes! good luck to you guys who are thinking about applying to the program and for those who took that hellish exam today.