PDsquash83

Member
10+ Year Member
Jul 13, 2005
150
0
Status
Reading a post on the interview feedback for Georgetown SOM and they said that grading is done on a bell-curve where a set percentage are failed each class. Anybody confirm this? I will try to find the post.

Ex-Hoya
 

crosswords

New Member
10+ Year Member
Jul 12, 2006
2
0
Status
Pre-Medical
PDsquash83 said:
Reading a post on the interview feedback for Georgetown SOM and they said that grading is done on a bell-curve where a set percentage are failed each class. Anybody confirm this? I will try to find the post.

Ex-Hoya
I can confirm that they grade on a strict bell curve, which means that a certain small percentage at the bottom of the scale will fail. It's possible that this percentage varies, but I know all the others (LP, P, HP, H) are definitely set percentages.

Keep in mind you'll also be taking many of your M1 lecture classes with the SMP students and a couple of much smaller programs, but they're graded against your curve, not as a part of it. It's a little disconcerting the first few weeks to realize the extra 150-200 students in the lecture hall have nothing to do with you except to take the gunner front-row seats.
 

PhillyGrrl

Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 18, 2003
54
0
Visit site
Status
PDsquash83 said:
Reading a post on the interview feedback for Georgetown SOM and they said that grading is done on a bell-curve where a set percentage are failed each class. Anybody confirm this? I will try to find the post.

Ex-Hoya
Not true at all. We've had courses this past year that no one has failed.
 

Vizsla

in a lucid interval
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 26, 2005
945
0
Status
Medical Student
crosswords said:
I can confirm that they grade on a strict bell curve, which means that a certain small percentage at the bottom of the scale will fail. It's possible that this percentage varies, but I know all the others (LP, P, HP, H) are definitely set percentages.

Keep in mind you'll also be taking many of your M1 lecture classes with the SMP students and a couple of much smaller programs, but they're graded against your curve, not as a part of it. It's a little disconcerting the first few weeks to realize the extra 150-200 students in the lecture hall have nothing to do with you except to take the gunner front-row seats.
the gtown grading system works out so that only a smal percentage of students will be able to honor a class unlike other schools where if every students gets above a certain number, all students will honor that class..this is why I think thier class is regarded as competitive...i guess it kinda forces you to be.....and Crosswords, I was a physio and I didnt see many of us taking the "gunner front row seats". Also if you dont like the fact that for most M1 classes there will be an extra 150-200 students, then you need to take that into consideration before you decide to matriculate there...blame the school for being greedy but dont blame the masters students who just want to get in to a med school
 

Zoom-Zoom

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 14, 2005
2,008
6
California
Status
Medical Student
Vizsla said:
the gtown grading system works out so that only a smal percentage of students will be able to honor a class unlike other schools where if every students gets above a certain number, all students will honor that class..this is why I think thier class is regarded as competitive...i guess it kinda forces you to be.....and Crosswords, I was a physio and I didnt see many of us taking the "gunner front row seats". Also if you dont like the fact that for most M1 classes there will be an extra 150-200 students, then you need to take that into consideration before you decide to matriculate there...blame the school for being greedy but dont blame the masters students who just want to get in to a med school
Weird, I'm surprised so many schools don't use the bell curve. Most of my undergrad course do, is this standard?