Georgetown University Medicine Residency AMA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GTownIM

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey SDN!

I remember wishing there were more threads like this when I was applying for residency. I've got some free time at the moment, and thought I'd help out if I could.

I am a current categorical resident at the Georgetown University Internal Medicine Program in Washington DC. I'd prefer to remain anonymous but I will say that I am not an intern (I mention this only to emphasize that I do have a fair amount of experience within the program). I'm happy to honestly answer any questions you might have!

Basics:
  • ~30 Categorical spots per year
  • ~3 Prelim spots per year (plus I think 7 more that are dedicated to neuro prelim)
  • Main hospital is MedStar Georgetown Univ Hospital, with other sites including the Washington VA, Virginia Hospital Center, and Washington Hospital Center
  • EMR is mixed at the moment, but the main program is Cerner/MedConnect, with several other accessory programs as well as paper (not great)
  • Overall I feel this is a good program, lots of fantastic people who genuinely care, residents are listened-to and generally treated fairly, good amount of vacation/time off, and solid in-house fellowship availability with good fellowship match lists (at or near 100% for years).

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Some Q's:

- Any push to change the EMR? Not a deal breaker by any means but I'm just curious.
- When you rotate through WHC, which has a residency program in its own right, how is the work split?
- Attitude toward IMG applicants? I see several St Georges matches every year on your roster but none from other US-IMG programs, and few elsewhere. (If I could PM you about this that'd be great)
- How's the patient diversity in regards to pathology vs GWU? Is there a DC program considered the "inner city" hospital and if so where does GT fall. Ie bunch of private patients, uninsured, gomers, etc.
- Be real with me - how friggin expensive is DC to live in on a residents salary?

Sorry to bombard you with a bunch of questions! Thanks in advance

Any push to change the EMR?
Yeah, I mean everyone knows it's crap and we are "currently undergoing a transition" to get everything under the same EMR (Cerner), but it's been extremely slow going. At the moment they are prioritizing merger of the outpatient EMR, with plans to merge the inpatient EMR after that. Based on the rate of current progress I'd expect it'll at least be another full year or (more likely) two before things are close to fully integrated. This is a constant frustration, probably one of the worst aspects of this program, but I agree with you in that it's not a deal breaker. The worst of it is when you're an intern and you have to learn silly things like "oh that order can only be done on paper, and has to be actually faxed - using a fax machine - to the pharmacy, because this type of order is special for some reason." That kind of thing. But we're immersed in this system so, crap or not, we learn quickly.

When you rotate through WHC, which has a residency program in its own right, how is the work split?
So we only go there for certain things like the cardiac ICU and (sometimes) the CHF service. The reason for this is because since the merger with MedStar, the majority of the cardiac care (including all of the interventional stuff) has been moved over to WHC. I felt it was a good experience when I rotated there. We're treated like any other resident, and it isn't entirely a foreign world because the EMR is the same and the cardiology fellows work both hospitals so we tend to see a lot of familiar faces. I didn't see any territorial behavior or uneven distribution of work if that's what you're asking. We also rotate with residents from other programs at the VA (GW, Walter Reed, and WHC), and the situation is similar there. We're all residents doing the same job.

Attitude toward IMG applicants? I see several St Georges matches every year on your roster but none from other US-IMG programs, and few elsewhere.
We have a couple each year so obviously the program is open to matching applicants from those schools, but beyond that I'm not sure I can comment further on what the attitude is from the admissions perspective. From the day-to-day resident perspective, there is no discrimination or anything like that. Once you're part of the program, you're part of the program, and that's all there is to it. Feel free to PM if you like.

How's the patient diversity in regards to pathology vs GWU? Is there a DC program considered the "inner city" hospital and if so where does GT fall. Ie bunch of private patients, uninsured, gomers, etc.
I've never worked at GW so I don't have any direct experience with their patient population. Among the three hospitals in the city (WHC, GW, GT), I'd say that WHC is probably carries the most "inner city" reputation, whatever that means, just by virtue of the fact that they have the largest and most prominent ED. In regard to diversity of pathology, I think GT gets its fair share compared to the other hospitals. We certainly get plenty of sick patients and there is no shortage of comorbidities. I think all three hospitals share the uninsured population roughly equally (maybe slanted slightly towards WHC, but not enough to matter), though there are some areas of disproportion. As I mentioned above, WHC is the "cardiac center," so the good heart stuff tends to go there. Likewise, Georgetown is the "liver center," so we see LOTS of liver disease and its complications, as well as transplant stuff that the other hospitals don't see (GT is huge on transplants, and is one of only a few places in the country where some of these complex multiviceral transplants are done). We also rotate at several other hospitals which have different mixes of patients, so overall I think we get a pretty good breadth of both population and pathology.

Be real with me - how friggin expensive is DC to live in on a residents salary?

It's bonkers expensive. The decision you'll have to make is whether you want to spend less (live with a roommate or travel from a distance through notoriously awful DC traffic), or just suck it up and pay through the nose to live close to work/in the city. The upside is DC is a fantastic city with lots of stuff going on all the time and living in the city (as I do) is a really amazing experience. Depends on what your priorities are, I suppose. I'm living beyond my means and racking up some credit card debt to close the loop on some things, but I love living here and I guess medical school was bonkers expensive also so why stop there. YOLO?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd love to go to Georgetown :) I'm a DO though. How friendly are they towards DOs and COMLEX?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I'd love to go to Georgetown :) I'm a DO though. How friendly are they towards DOs and COMLEX?
Similar answer to that I gave above about IMGs. Our program seems to match a couple DOs every year, so obviously our administrators are interested in DO's to some degree as applicants, but as far as actual match/application dynamics I really have no idea. We tend to have at least one DO as chief each year as well (which is more frequent than expected just from a statistical perspective given the smaller population of DO residents in the program). Beyond that though, I just don't know. On the program's website it says that they do not accept the COMLEX, only the USMLE.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Hey SDN!

I remember wishing there were more threads like this when I was applying for residency. I've got some free time at the moment, and thought I'd help out if I could.

I am a current categorical resident at the Georgetown University Internal Medicine Program in Washington DC. I'd prefer to remain anonymous but I will say that I am not an intern (I mention this only to emphasize that I do have a fair amount of experience within the program). I'm happy to honestly answer any questions you might have!

Basics:
-- ~30 Categorical spots per year
-- ~3 Prelim spots per year (plus I think 7 more that are dedicated to neuro prelim)
-- Main hospital is MedStar Georgetown Univ Hospital, with other sites including the Washington VA, Virginia Hospital Center, and Washington Hospital Center
-- EMR is mixed at the moment, but the main program is Cerner/MedConnect, with several other accessory programs as well as paper (not great)
-- Overall I feel this is a good program, lots of fantastic people who genuinely care, residents are listened-to and generally treated fairly, good amount of vacation/time off, and solid in-house fellowship availability with good fellowship match lists (at or near 100% for years).

Thanks for putting together this helpful thread! We like to reward members who make helpful contributions to the SDN community. Take a look in your PM inbox for an Amazon gift card. :)

Reactions: 1 user
Woah, thanks!! Totally unexpected!

And btw, def still happy to any other questions that might be out there.

Woah, thanks!! Totally unexpected!

And btw, def still happy to any other questions that might be out there.

How is the GI department at Georgetown. Do the fellows seem happy? Are they overworked? Do they get consulted a lot?

How is the GI department at Georgetown. Do the fellows seem happy? Are they overworked? Do they get consulted a lot?
I can only comment about that department as an outside observer being that I'm just a medicine resident, not a GI fellow, but overall I think it is a good department and the fellows do seem happy. I know that the fellowship is very competitive and there are always multiple residents from each medicine class interested in matching here for GI, which I think speaks volumes about the department. A significant number of the current GI fellows are previous Georgetown medicine residents and chiefs. To answer the other part of your question, I wouldn't say "overworked" (then again I'm not sure I would really know), but as I mentioned earlier - Georgetown is something of a center for liver care, and as a result the GI/hepatology department definitely stays busy.

Reactions: 1 user
Hypothetically say I am interested in pursuing a cards fellowship after residency, how much is a disadvantage given that Georgetown doesn't have a cardiac cath lab and most of the complex cardiac pathology are transferred out rather than in. thanks!

Yeah, I mean everyone knows it's crap and we are "currently undergoing a transition" to get everything under the same EMR (Cerner), but it's been extremely slow going. At the moment they are prioritizing merger of the outpatient EMR, with plans to merge the inpatient EMR after that. Based on the rate of current progress I'd expect it'll at least be another full year or (more likely) two before things are close to fully integrated. This is a constant frustration, probably one of the worst aspects of this program, but I agree with you in that it's not a deal breaker. The worst of it is when you're an intern and you have to learn silly things like "oh that order can only be done on paper, and has to be actually faxed - using a fax machine - to the pharmacy, because this type of order is special for some reason." That kind of thing. But we're immersed in this system so, crap or not, we learn quickly.

Don't mean to pile on but this is absolutely ridiculous. I remember when I was interviewing 4 years ago I was told that they were working on getting the EMR up to date, especially with the new requirements in 2015. For me it was a deal breaker. It was unacceptable in 2012 and it's even more unacceptable in 2016.

Thanks for putting together this helpful thread! We like to reward members who make helpful contributions to the SDN community. Take a look in your PM inbox for an Amazon gift card. :)

Whaaaat? How do I get a piece of that action?

This sounds like a huge pain in the ass. Paper orders that need to be faxed? What is this, 1954? Sorry but I have enough doctor things to do without doing more secretarial bs

Thanks for answering our questions!

Can you comment on Georgetown being Catholic and whether that affects institutional culture, the patient population and your daily practice on medicine? Specific examples I'm picturing are contraceptive prescriptions and end-of-life conversations. On a spectrum of 1-10, how Catholic is Georgetown?

Hypothetically say I am interested in pursuing a cards fellowship after residency, how much is a disadvantage given that Georgetown doesn't have a cardiac cath lab and most of the complex cardiac pathology are transferred out rather than in. thanks!
I would say borderline no disadvantage, which is based on the fact that the cardiology fellowship is very tightly integrated with Georgetown. Fellows from that program come to Georgetown very frequently for rotations, and as such we have an ongoing relationship such that the distinction between the two programs (from my outsiders perspective) seems to be pretty minimal. There are multiple Georgetown grads in the WHC cards fellowship program currently, and I'd expect that trend to continue.

I remember when I was interviewing 4 years ago I was told that they were working on getting the EMR up to date, especially with the new requirements in 2015. For me it was a deal breaker. It was unacceptable in 2012 and it's even more unacceptable in 2016.
Agreed it's ridiculous. As far as being an actual deal breaker, I guess that's more of a personal decision. Personally I feel like there are other facets to a program that should matter more, and at this point I'm more or less used to this system, but at the same time I wouldn't blame anyone for calling this a major problem and making it part of their residency match decision.

This sounds like a huge pain in the ass. Paper orders that need to be faxed? What is this, 1954? Sorry but I have enough doctor things to do without doing more secretarial bs
Agreed. To be fair, the orders that need to be actually faxed are fairly few and far between, but they do still exist and I agree that it's ridiculous in this day and age. Don't fool yourself though, no matter where you go for residency - PLENTY of what you do as an intern and resident could easily be categorized as "secretarial bs." Despite the faxing and the at-times dysfunctional medical records system, I'm not sure I would agree that Georgetown medicine residents are treated more like secretaries than anywhere else.

Can you comment on Georgetown being Catholic and whether that affects institutional culture, the patient population and your daily practice on medicine? Specific examples I'm picturing are contraceptive prescriptions and end-of-life conversations. On a spectrum of 1-10, how Catholic is Georgetown?
I'd rank it maybe a 2? That's a fairly arbitrary number, but basically the only reason I'm not saying zero is because we don't do abortive services here. The residents who have clinic at Georgetown proper (my clinic happens to be elsewhere) prescribe contraceptives regularly, and there is absolutely no religious influence on end-of-life conversations in the MICU or elsewhere.

I don't know how well you can answer this, but what are your thoughts on the Medstar Washington Hospital Center IM Residency program? From your interaction with the residents, do they seem happy with the program or are they overworked? How's the teaching faculty at WHC? Do you think they get to see enough diverse pathology or is it more run-of-the-mill sort of cases? Is there any impact of MedStar taking over the hospital system?

Thanks!

I don't know how well you can answer this, but what are your thoughts on the Medstar Washington Hospital Center IM Residency program?
I'm sorry, but my knowledge about other residency programs is pretty limited and I don't think it would be appropriate for me to attempt any sort of review of them.

How heavy would you say research is weighed on the application? I have no med school research, so I'm wondering how bad that would hurt me?
Thanks!

I heard that commuting between all of the hospitals is terrible and that private ownership by MedStar has made things less resident friendly(unless it helps profits), just from what I've heard about people there vs GW. GT does have good fellowship matches, however. I rotated through GW in medschool and thought that the hospital is tiny, no idea how they support so many residents or why anyone would want to live in DC if they had an option not to.

I heard that commuting between all of the hospitals is terrible and that private ownership by MedStar has made things less resident friendly(unless it helps profits), just from what I've heard about people there vs GW. GT does have good fellowship matches, however. I rotated through GW in medschool and thought that the hospital is tiny, no idea how they support so many residents or why anyone would want to live in DC if they had an option not to.

Also was wondering how annoying it is commuting between the hospitals?