I do a lot of work in the regulatory space in my current role and some of that has to do with AI. For the foreseeable future, the government, the hospital, and lawyers will want someone that is putting their signature behind the AI. To me this will likely go from human-in-the-loop decisions to human-on-the-loop decisions(see 1 below). I think slowly over time as more and more payer contracts get tied to up side and down side risk (2), hospital systems are going to want to reduce non-value added variation in order to raise the floor of care. I think this can be done through protocolized and checkbox medicine with AI as oversight. Having physicians employed just to diagnose the one out of a hundred case is probably not that useful, to be honest, in an economic sense.especially in the inpt setting where care is expensive. I can see a future that is closer to an anesthesia model where one hospitalist will oversee several APPs that are playing hospitalist. Furthermore some specialties are already experiencing certain cuts for efficiency payments(3). I can easily see CMS saying that the average doctor can now see a hundred patients at a time and so a 99233 Will only be worth one RVU instead. that is, more patients + less time = less pay. buckle up
Furthermore I think it is a negative value proposition for physicians as well. My system already allows physicians to use the Epic AI patient summary feature. What does this mean in practice? I get tons of AI-slop discharge summaries that should be shortened down by 80%. They occasionally have hallucinations as well, though I have not uncovered anything major. Docs already don't read their own notes...you think theyre gonna read some AI DC slop?
Finally I do want to comment on what I think is true but may just be a personal bias. I am a huge believer in an adapt or die mentality. With upcoming issues like the Medicaid cliff, CMS trust fund insolvency, or God knows what else will come up, it is clear to me that physicians are going to have to have more skin in the game. We got into this quagmire by not having physician representation and instead allowing MBAs and other suits to make decisions for us. I think horse is out of the barn and now we are in the position of taking up all the risk but only a fraction of the spoils. On the hospitalist subreddit I see all the time "Don't take that job. Know your worth." Au contraire mon ami... you need to prove your worth. remaining old school and just ordering lasix 20 mg IV bId for a HF patient that is going to stay in the hospital for 5 days does not place you in a position of power.
1) "humans in the loop" refers to systems that require direct human involvement in making or approving decisions. "humans on the loop" approach positions humans as supervisors of automated systems. Instead of being directly involved in every decision, humans monitor processes and intervene only when necessary—typically when anomalies or edge cases arise.
2) this is happening more and more as we speak. I'm not sure how much the average hospitalist knows...Medicare Advantage is getting rolled into original Medicare risk contracts. Measuring period has already started and mid-2027 is when payment structures will go into effect. I've heard of similar risk structures being developed for Medicaid if that is even around in a few years. Inpatient only list is going away- that will be a hit to the bottom line too. Medicare is using AI too to eval claims and it sucks. rampant concerns regarding underpayment.
3)
CMS Modernizes Payment Accuracy and Significantly Cuts Spending Waste | CMS