Georgetown Versus Oklahoma

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorDreamer

In a far away land...
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I posted about this about a week ago, but alost all of the responses were speculation of finance differences.

I have been considering this decision for a week with no change... I am completely torn.

With scholarships/grants, GTown is $17K more expensive total this year, but that could change in other years, since I have $13K in scholarships from Oklahoma that may nto be here every year. Also, I'm still waiting to hear from GTown's finaid office about possibly raising their offer, so that gap may possibly close, but it's not likely.

Here are the things I've considered so far:

Location: Oklahoma is close to my family and friends (I'm a very relationship-grounded person). BUT Georgetown has the exciting DC atmosphere (I thrive on change). Oklahoma has horrible weather, but I think DC may, too. Oklahoma isn't as exciting as GTown, but I may never actually spend time in DC since I'll be so busy. Also the facilities seemed run down and limited at GTown, and they're pretty nice at Oklahoma. Then you have to factor in travel... If I live close to campus, walking at GTown would be nice (saves on gas mileage and car expenses, and I love exercize), but driving in DC would be an astronomical pain. OKC is easy to navigate and traffic is almost non-existent, but it's a commuter city, and walking is not an option.

Cost: Yes, GTown is ore expensive, but scholarships/grant money have the possibility to change every year, Oklahoma's not exactly cheap itself, and Oklahoma has raised it's tuition by almost 10% (the legal limit) in like 3 out of the last 4 years.

Prestige: Oklahoma is a US allo school, so I know it will provide a good education, but I have heard more than it's share of bad things. GTown has a stinkin good name... I don't know if it is actually a better school, but it certainly has more prestige, and whether I like it or not, that will play a role in residency matches. A few people from Oklahoma match incredibly well every year, but there's no guarantee that will be me. Many more match competively at GTown.

Teaching: I have heard mediocre things about GTown's curriculum, and less-than-mediocre things about Oklahoma's. Oklahoma either has students score exceptionally well on the boards, or they bomb it, or so it seems. Oklahoma's curriculum is very outdated, but GTown's is new, and may not work well.

Opportunities: GTown has the opportunity to study complementary and alternative health, which I really like, but I doubt I could afford the extra year to study it, anyway. Oklahoma isn't very flexible in terms of opportunity (no room for anything but core clinical rotations in yoru third year), but they may let me pursue outside interests my fourth year (work in South America, study in the East, etc).

Student Body: I am super-conservative, but I have friends of every imaginable background. I may have a harder time finding people similar to myself at GTown, but I also haven't been blown away by the students at Oklahoma. I felt that the GTown students were more laid-back, diverse, and fun. The Oklahoma students seem more uptight and closed-off. Also, most students seem to be 22 with no or little life experience (and tons of them are married/engaged, which I am nowhere close to). I am 25, highly-motivated, I have lots of life experience, and I don't believe in sitting around studying all the time, or planting myself in front of a television or a bar for fun. I don't know any GTown students weel, but I also am not connected to the Oklahoma students, and I feel that more of them will already come in connected from the big state schools.

Grading Systems: They are both pretty much the same as undergrad, and they both seem to have a LOT of competition.

Start-Up Costs: GTown is a $100 deposit refundable by May 15th, and an additional $900 deposit refundable by July 2nd. If I remember correctly (it's been a long time), is also $100 refundable by May 15th. GTown will also cost me abotu $1000 more in moving costs.

What makes this decision even more complicated:

1. I've only had a week to make this decision.
2. I'm in South America, so I cannot just call up the schools to chat about this stuff (and my mom will have to handle paperwork).
3. I'm on 4 waitlists, 3 of which I would sell significant body parts to come off of.

I am terrified to go to Oklahoma, miss out on new cool experiences, be bored out of my mind, work my tail off, and then end up not matching like I want to. But I am equally scared to go to GTown, pay a bunch of extra money, miss my family, be miserable in DC, and always wonder if I could have matched just as well in Oklahoma... Or worse, match badly from GTown and have paid that extra money for nothing.

Please, please, please, if you have any ideas, other criterion, experience, insider information, etc... Lend me a hand. I know I'm blessed to be making this decision, but it feels like a curse.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not trying to tell you where to go. Oklahoma is the perfect fit for me, but you seem to be leaning towards GTown. If you don't like DC, you could always come back to OK for residency.

You are working overtime to say that $17k a year more for Georgetown is no big deal.

To me, it would be a huge deal and a deal breaker. To you, apparently not.

Do not try to justify the extra cost for a "better" school - Georgetown is NOT a better school - it is just a different school. Don't drink the KoolAid on match list voodoo - Georgetown will not yield you any "better" of a match than Oklahoma.

Are you sure you really understand how expensive it is to live in DC? Is the $17k reflective of diff in total COA, or just the diff in tuition and fees? This is critical - rentals in DC are exorbitant, probably 3 to 4 times what you would find in Oklahoma. Just be honest with yourself about the cost differential...don't lowball it...$ matters (but if for some reason it really doesn't matter to you, then go wherever your "heart" takes you).

Members don't see this ad :)
I gotta say that I know it's difficult to decide between amazing schools. What made me finally decide to give up the other schools over OU was my personal situation and cultural opportunity here. Nowhere else has the exposure to my tribe that I want. Call it a second education. The personal benefits of going to OU outweigh the benefits I think I'll get at the other schools. I just wished this had dawned on me before the application process! What an expensive epiphany!

Now, if I didn't have this stuff in the way, I could easily see myself choosing to go to another school. Not b/c OU is bad in any way... But I've been here all my life. It really does matter to go out and get new experiences. For me, my new experiences will be with my tribe. I've been away for so long that I feel it would only be harder to return if I went away. Unless you have something that you specifically can't get elsewhere and that won't be here for you when you return... girl, go for Gtown!! OK will always be here for you!! It sounds like Gtown would be a better personality fit. Money is a factor, but I think it's important you go where you'll be the happiest!! :luck: Good luck with your decision!!! You'll do great no matter where you go. But you want to be happy doing it. :)

You are working overtime to say that $17k a year more for Georgetown is no big deal.

To me, it would be a huge deal and a deal breaker. To you, apparently not.

Do not try to justify the extra cost for a "better" school - Georgetown is NOT a better school - it is just a different school. Don't drink the KoolAid on match list voodoo - Georgetown will not yield you any "better" of a match than Oklahoma.

Are you sure you really understand how expensive it is to live in DC? Is the $17k reflective of diff in total COA, or just the diff in tuition and fees? This is critical - rentals in DC are exorbitant, probably 3 to 4 times what you would find in Oklahoma. Just be honest with yourself about the cost differential...don't lowball it...$ matters (but if for some reason it really doesn't matter to you, then go wherever your "heart" takes you).

That's total COA, and it's actually high-balled a bit. And Oklahoma generally has greater tuition raises, and my scholarship money there is not guaranteed to be renewed. I know GTown is more expensive, but I'm looking at a difference of $200K versus $280K worst scenario... When you're that far in debt, I'm screwed either way. Optimistic, I know...

Also, speaking with students from both schools, name does play a role, and I have explicitly been told that it will be much harder to get a really competitive residency coming from Oklahoma... Even from Oklahoma students.

Not that I'm saying GTown is better, but I am saying it has it's perks... And it's downsides.

I gotta say that I know it's difficult to decide between amazing schools. What made me finally decide to give up the other schools over OU was my personal situation and cultural opportunity here. Nowhere else has the exposure to my tribe that I want. Call it a second education. The personal benefits of going to OU outweigh the benefits I think I'll get at the other schools. I just wished this had dawned on me before the application process! What an expensive epiphany!

Now, if I didn't have this stuff in the way, I could easily see myself choosing to go to another school. Not b/c OU is bad in any way... But I've been here all my life. It really does matter to go out and get new experiences. For me, my new experiences will be with my tribe. I've been away for so long that I feel it would only be harder to return if I went away. Unless you have something that you specifically can't get elsewhere and that won't be here for you when you return... girl, go for Gtown!! OK will always be here for you!! It sounds like Gtown would be a better personality fit. Money is a factor, but I think it's important you go where you'll be the happiest!! :luck: Good luck with your decision!!! You'll do great no matter where you go. But you want to be happy doing it. :)

Oh, I completely agree in your situation! My only two location perks for Oklahoma are proximity to my family and the fact that the idea of living in DC scares me a bit. BUT, will I actually have time to spend with my family... Enough extra time to justify Oklahoma? And the whole scare thing just motivates em to get over it and be excited instead...

I'm not trying to tell you where to go. Oklahoma is the perfect fit for me, but you seem to be leaning towards GTown. If you don't like DC, you could always come back to OK for residency.

Yeah, I think each school has students who fit really well there. Honestly, I unfortunately don't feel a really strong it with either school, even though they're both great. I wish I was crazy in love with one, but I'm just not, and I have a hard time getting really excited abotu either one, and that scares me.

And one of my biggest things is that I do NOT want to do my residency in Oklahoma, and I am afraid going to Oklahoma would give me a much greater possibility of matching in Oklahoma... I need new experiences. I don't have to leave Oklahoma for med school, but I don't want to go to med school there only to find myself with an Oklahoma residency, too.

I've lived in both OKC and the Georgetown area. What is it that you don't like about the weather in Oklahoma? Summers in DC are unbearable. I used to walk literally one block to the Foggy Bottom metro stop in July and all my make-up would completely sweat up and my hair was one frizzy mess. The winters are awful also. Very, very cold and icy. It's also hard to get around Georgetown b/c of the lack of the underground train access and it's hard to drive around and expensive to park. Walking and bussing takes a lot of time from the Georgetown campus. However, you can't beat the atmosphere in Georgetown. I know if I was going to medical school there, I would be very destracted with everything going on in that area. There are tons of great places to hang out and go shopping in Georgetown and, of course, so much going on in all the other locations of DC too. The area is nothing like what's around the Oklahoma campus. You are right about the facilities at Georgetown also. The campus is old and when I toured the medical school and visted friends who showed me around their buildings, I was not impressed. They do not seem to be up-to-date and I have wondered if you'd really be getting what you're paying for. Anyways, I hope that helps a little. Good luck!

Yeah, I think each school has students who fit really well there. Honestly, I unfortunately don't feel a really strong it with either school, even though they're both great. I wish I was crazy in love with one, but I'm just not, and I have a hard time getting really excited abotu either one, and that scares me.

And one of my biggest things is that I do NOT want to do my residency in Oklahoma, and I am afraid going to Oklahoma would give me a much greater possibility of matching in Oklahoma... I need new experiences. I don't have to leave Oklahoma for med school, but I don't want to go to med school there only to find myself with an Oklahoma residency, too.

I understand that completely. I plan to stay in OK for residency and even for my practice, so I don't feel the need to go somewhere else. This is home for me, and I love it here. If you want out of here, then go. Don't let fear get in your way. I'm sorry your not head-over-heels for either school, so here's to getting in where you DO want to be. Good luck to you.

I've lived in both OKC and the Georgetown area. What is it that you don't like about the weather in Oklahoma? Summers in DC are unbearable. I used to walk literally one block to the Foggy Bottom metro stop in July and all my make-up would completely sweat up and my hair was one frizzy mess. The winters are awful also. Very, very cold and icy. It's also hard to get around Georgetown b/c of the lack of the underground train access and it's hard to drive around and expensive to park. Walking and bussing takes a lot of time from the Georgetown campus. However, you can't beat the atmosphere in Georgetown. I know if I was going to medical school there, I would be very destracted with everything going on in that area. There are tons of great places to hang out and go shopping in Georgetown and, of course, so much going on in all the other locations of DC too. The area is nothing like what's around the Oklahoma campus. You are right about the facilities at Georgetown also. The campus is old and when I toured the medical school and visted friends who showed me around their buildings, I was not impressed. They do not seem to be up-to-date and I have wondered if you'd really be getting what you're paying for. Anyways, I hope that helps a little. Good luck!

not that you need me to point this out since you're from OK and should already have an idea, but there's no way DC could get hotter in the summer than OK. i go to school in OK and this place is the most humid place EVER. i haven't spent a summer here yet but this summer i'll actually be here. i only have an idea of how humid it can get here and there's no way DC could be WORSE. OK is more south than DC, so OK is going to be worse in terms of heat. OK's love for humidity makes it even worse, ehhh i'm gonna sweat away this summer!

OK i'm sure has better winters than DC, though. this year we didn't get much snow but tons of rain instead since the temp always hovered just at or barely above 32F :thumbup:

not that you need me to point this out since you're from OK and should already have an idea, but there's no way DC could get hotter in the summer than OK. i go to school in OK and this place is the most humid place EVER. i haven't spent a summer here yet but this summer i'll actually be here. i only have an idea of how humid it can get here and there's no way DC could be WORSE. OK is more south than DC, so OK is going to be worse in terms of heat. OK's love for humidity makes it even worse, ehhh i'm gonna sweat away this summer!

not to be contentious, but you've never lived in Houston or New Orleans. those ARE the most humid places ever.

i'd say DC could quite possibly be super humid in the summer considering its proximity to the coast and we all know that humidity makes a fairly warm day a million times worse.

That's total COA, and it's actually high-balled a bit. And Oklahoma generally has greater tuition raises, and my scholarship money there is not guaranteed to be renewed. I know GTown is more expensive, but I'm looking at a difference of $200K versus $280K worst scenario... When you're that far in debt, I'm screwed either way. Optimistic, I know...

Also, speaking with students from both schools, name does play a role, and I have explicitly been told that it will be much harder to get a really competitive residency coming from Oklahoma... Even from Oklahoma students.

Not that I'm saying GTown is better, but I am saying it has it's perks... And it's downsides.

I won't tell you which school to go to (I know nothing about OK), but I wanted to take the time to tell you that your attitude towards money is very self-destructive. 80k+interest is ALOT of money. If you start out your career thinking "I'm already 200k in debt, what's a few more k here and there?", you'll quickly justify it to yourself to rent a more expensive place, eat out a little more, and take a few vactions. DO NOT BORROW MORE THAN YOU ABSOLUTELY NEED. 6 out of 10 americans are in debt for that exact mind-set.

not to be contentious, but you've never lived in Houston or New Orleans. those ARE the most humid places ever.

i'd say DC could quite possibly be super humid in the summer considering its proximity to the coast. we all know that humidity makes a fairly warm day a million times worse.

I have lived in all 3...NO is hands down the worst, followed closely by Houston...DC can be miserable in July and August...I have also lived in Austin, TX, and assume a fair comparison to OK can be made here, and I will say it this way - I would take the heat and moderate humidity in Austin anyday over the heat and high humidity in DC...

Members don't see this ad :)

OK i'm sure has better winters than DC, though. this year we didn't get much snow but tons of rain instead since the temp always hovered just at or barely above 32F :thumbup:

Actually, since much of DC was constructed on what used to be a swamp and is surrounded by and in closer proximity to more water than any place in Oklahoma, it is, indeed, much more humid. I did not say it got hotter, I said it was unbearable. DC's humidity is hard to even breath in. Trust me, if you haven't experienced it, you wouldn't know.

Oklahoma gets more tornados per square mile than any other state in the country. Who cares about humidity?

I won't tell you which school to go to (I know nothing about OK), but I wanted to take the time to tell you that your attitude towards money is very self-destructive. 80k+interest is ALOT of money. If you start out your career thinking "I'm already 200k in debt, what's a few more k here and there?", you'll quickly justify it to yourself to rent a more expensive place, eat out a little more, and take a few vactions. DO NOT BORROW MORE THAN YOU ABSOLUTELY NEED. 6 out of 10 americans are in debt for that exact mind-set.

I am well aware of this, thank you. I don't spend excessively. I rent cheap, I eat cheap, and I live cheap. But if you honestly believe no one should ever borrow more than they absolutely need, we should all live in the ghetto, none of us should own cars, and all students accepted to their state schools should imemdiately give up spots at schools they fit with better and preferred... Simply on the base of money.

I understand that my cavalier comment seemed perhaps uneducated in finances, but it was simply meant to say that the two are close enough to me that finances will not be the end-all-be-all in my decision. I can evaluate finaces on my own, but it is the other aspects I am looking for input on.

Also, I have been in Oklahoma and DC for summer... They both suck, and I'm going to want to die no matter where I am. I love cold, though.

I am well aware of this, thank you. I don't spend excessively. I rent cheap, I eat cheap, and I live cheap. But if you honestly believe no one should ever borrow more than they absolutely need, we should all live in the ghetto, none of us should own cars, and all students accepted to their state schools should imemdiately give up spots at schools they fit with better and preferred... Simply on the base of money.

I understand that my cavalier comment seemed perhaps uneducated in finances, but it was simply meant to say that the two are close enough to me that finances will not be the end-all-be-all in my decision. I can evaluate finaces on my own, but it is the other aspects I am looking for input on.

Also, I have been in Oklahoma and DC for summer... They both suck, and I'm going to want to die no matter where I am. I love cold, though.

Sorry if I came off too self-righteous- I'm sure you're perfectly educated in financial basics.

With that being said, you're mixing up necessities with luxuries. I don't believe everyone should live in the ghetto or relinquish their cars. I do believe you should live in a decent place and split the cost with a roomate, and drive the cheapest reliable car you can find. As far as getting into your state school and giving up your other acceptances- you got me there, I really do think that's the right thing to do.

Too many people are penny-wise and pound-foolish. If you rent cheap,live cheap, and eat cheap, it's only right to study cheap as well. I guess my comment was directed at other people in your position rather than you. Too many people here seem to be mesmorized by the promise of glamorous city life, seeminlgy at any cost.

Sorry if I came off too self-righteous- I'm sure you're perfectly educated in financial basics.

With that being said, you're mixing up necessities with luxuries. I don't believe everyone should live in the ghetto or not drive cars. I do believe you should live in a decent place and split the cost with a roomate, and drive the cheapest reliable car you can find. As far as getting into your state school and giving up your other acceptances- you got me there, I really do think that's the right thing to do.

Too many people are penny-wise and pound-foolish. If you rent cheap,live cheap, and eat cheap, it's only right to study cheap as well. I guess my comment was directed at other people in your position rather than you. Too many people here seem to be mesmorized by by the promise of glamorous city life, seeminlgy at any cost.

Many of these people sound more like dreamy eyed pre-college teens than college grads - the comments about the "fabulous shopping" in such and such a city always strike me as silly.

People on SDN seem to have no problem "spending" other people's money in these "A vs B" threads...

With that being said, you're mixing up necessities with luxuries. I don't believe everyone should live in the ghetto or relinquish their cars. I do believe you should live in a decent place and split the cost with a roomate, and drive the cheapest reliable car you can find. As far as getting into your state school and giving up your other acceptances- you got me there, I really do think that's the right thing to do.

Too many people are penny-wise and pound-foolish. If you rent cheap,live cheap, and eat cheap, it's only right to study cheap as well. I guess my comment was directed at other people in your position rather than you. Too many people here seem to be mesmorized by the promise of glamorous city life, seeminlgy at any cost.

I understand and agree for the most part. Let me assure you that I in no way think life in DC would be glamorous, and to me, the location is a bit of a turn-off. BUT, I am willing to pay more for better opportunities and a better fit. It's just about determining what works for me.

Also, if those who got state acceptances should release all others, Harvard, Hopkins, WashU, etc, would all be filled with students who couldn't get into their state school... This seems more than a little backward to me. I'm not saying that those schools are any better than state schools, but there is a reason they can charge more, and a reason they should, in my opinion.

I understand and agree for the most part. Let me assure you that I in no way think life in DC would be glamorous, and to me, the location is a bit of a turn-off. BUT, I am willing to pay more for better opportunities and a better fit. It's just about determining what works for me.

Also, if those who got state acceptances should release all others, Harvard, Hopkins, WashU, etc, would all be filled with students who couldn't get into their state school... This seems more than a little backward to me. I'm not saying that those schools are any better than state schools, but there is a reason they can charge more, and a reason they should, in my opinion.

Gtown is no Harvard, and for that matter, OU is no Baylor. Some schools carry such prestige and name recognition that some people believe they warrant a premium. I'm not one of those people, and there's a growing movement of students realizing what a tremendous value state schools offer. My state school, infact, has gotten harder to get into specifically because more people than ever are turning down ivys to attend it. As far as opportunities, it's a not so well kept secret that allopathic schools offer an extremely standardized experience. I do agree that 'fit' is that one completely subjective aspect that only you (and none of us) can ascertain. Still, you'll have to weigh your priorities. 80k+interest can kick start your retirment savings, pay for a kid's college education, or be used for a down payment on a home. Seems silly to me, especially in uncertain economic times, to put so much weight on a subjective quality that is almost entirely in people's heads.

The choice is simple. Georgetown if you are a basketball fan. Oklahoma if you're a football fan.

On a more serious note, I don't know much about either schools but I think DC is great. Maybe you got a bad impression during your time here, but it'll definitely grow on you. Also unless you live right on the west coast or Florida, there will always be hot summers and cold (relative) winters wherever you are. DC is not as humid as south GA, which I think would top the list.

I just wanted to let you know that I understand exactly how you feel and recently had to make a very similar decision. I was accepted to Texas A&M (in-state) and Penn State. I posted on here about where I should go and mostly received replies that emphasized the financial differences of attending each school. However, I was more concerned about the quality of education and other aspects of the schools.

I am very close with my family as well, and this is what made the decision so difficult. However, A&M does not have very much flexibility in 3rd year rotations and not as high board scores or residency match results as Penn State. On the other hand, I was scared of going all the way to Pennsylvania and being miserable for 4 years. After spending weeks agonizing over this decision and talking to med students at both schools, I ultimately chose Penn State because it was where I had been leaning the whole time and for some reason it just felt like the best fit for me. In the end, it is better to go with where your gut tells you and where you think you will be happiest, even if it will cost a little bit more. You will be less likely to regret your decision or to wonder what it would have been like at the other school.

Send me a message if you need any other information about how I made my decision, and best of luck choosing a school. :)

Oh, I completely agree in your situation! My only two location perks for Oklahoma are proximity to my family and the fact that the idea of living in DC scares me a bit. BUT, will I actually have time to spend with my family... Enough extra time to justify Oklahoma? And the whole scare thing just motivates em to get over it and be excited instead...

It sounds like Gtown is where it's at then! How many times in life do you get a chance like this? Go ahead and branch out, you'll never know how things will be like in the future. Right now you know you can go either way, so why not take a chance and go somewhere you're leaning toward? I'm not about prestige or about money. I was for a while very concerned about the financial situation (Brown is offering me a $56K scholarship), but the value of staying here is more important to me than money. I was raised poor and I know how to live being poor. I figure with the IHS scholarship, I'm just as good staying here. At the same time, I'm all about jumping at the opportunities available to you. Like I said those opportunities for me are surrounded by my community. But if you feel like there will be unique opportunities for you at Gtown that you really want to explore... Go for it! If there are unique opportunities for you here in OK... Stay! Just don't regret your decision. Know that you're in control of your life. You'll do great at both schools. Soak in the whole package and feel out what you think is the best fit for you. From your reply it sounds like Gtown has some edge to it. :) Only you can really answer where to go. The rest of us can only tell you what is important from our perspective. True that about the fear. Don't let fear keep you away. Change is not always bad.

i'd be happy to talk to you about G'town - feel free to post questions or PM me.

and for what its worth, i'm going to be in 2x as much debt when i finish here compared to my state schools.

I have heard mediocre things about GTown's curriculum, and less-than-mediocre things about Oklahoma's. Oklahoma either has students score exceptionally well on the boards, or they bomb it, or so it seems. Oklahoma's curriculum is very outdated, but GTown's is new, and may not work well.

I am terrified to go to Oklahoma, miss out on new cool experiences, be bored out of my mind, work my tail off, and then end up not matching like I want to.
What is outdated about OU's curriculum? And what does matching mean?

I know this is an old thread, so if other people could help me out, I'd appreciate it!

ok DC isn't THAT bad weather wise. Yes, its humid... but only for a few months a year, months you might not even be in DC for assuming Gtown has some form of summer breaks.

personally, I think the area of Gtown is unbeatable if you can live near there. Its the super rich part of DC... reminds me of Palo Alto actually

can't speak for the cirriculums or anythign else

Right...

Anyway, repeating:

I know this is an old thread, so if other people could help me out, I'd appreciate it!

Right...

Anyway, repeating:

Upon completion of medical school you must MATCH into a residency program. The more sought after the program, the more competition. Meaning you must have better USMLE board scores to get matched into a "good" residency program. Also, OU has updated and changed their curriculum for the 2010 entering class, visit their website for details.

Upon completion of medical school you must MATCH into a residency program. The more sought after the program, the more competition. Meaning you must have better USMLE board scores to get matched into a "good" residency program. Also, OU has updated and changed their curriculum for the 2010 entering class, visit their website for details.
Thanks! Does that mean you don't get to choose your specialty? You get matched into one? Or do you get matched to a school (if any) after choosing one?

The new curriculum sounds nice. I hadn't look much into the old one, but the thought of having a new one is comforting :).

Thanks! Does that mean you don't get to choose your specialty? You get matched into one? Or do you get matched to a school (if any) after choosing one?

The new curriculum sounds nice. I hadn't look much into the old one, but the thought of having a new one is comforting :).

My understanding is that most of the time it just means that you might match somewhere that you may have to move to. Now don't expect to finish last in your class and match to the most competitive specialty