Georgetown vs. UVM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mitochondria_power_plant

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Georgetown:

Pros:
  • More diverse *local* clinical experience. I like that all clerkships can be completed in D.C. instead of throughout the country
  • I'm from a rural area, and looking to branch out, so location is a positive
  • Pass/fail (huge bonus)
  • MD/MPH program (GUSOM is partnered with Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health)
  • 18 month curriculum
Cons:
  • This is GUSOM's first year with an 18 month preclinical. Slightly worried about being a guinea pig
  • Higher average CoL
  • No family nearby

UVM

Pros:
  • Vermont Integrated Curriculum: They've been doing 18 month preclinicals for at least 10 years (I work with a young Dr that went to UVM and they were in the second round of the curriculum shift.)
  • Family nearby/ free living situation
  • Skiing and rock climbing are accessible
Cons:
  • Traveling to clinical sites in FL, CT, and ME for 2 1/2 years
  • Requires a car
  • Not truly Pass/Fail (at my interview the students said it's still HP/P/LP/F... so essentially A/B/C/F)
  • MPH program is brand new and online. Most likely would not pursue.
  • I'm from rural New England and I have never left. I'm worried that going here will limit my opportunities in the future because I will have never seen anything different.

At this point, CoA is similar for both schools. GUSOM's tuition is about 5K less, but the CoL will even out the total costs between the two schools. I'm leaning towards Georgetown at the moment, but I have some concerns. Mostly, I'm worried about being the first cohort for their new curriculum. Secondly, I'm curious to see what people have to say about the reputation of both schools. Both match lists seem equivalent. While GUSOM has a more recognizable name for the general public, I don't think it has much of a leg up on UVM in the medical world. Any thoughts are welcome. Rambling over.

Members don't see this ad.

Just to add on - at my UVM interview, I believe they said they *just* voted to switch to P/F, so the incoming class would be all P/F

UVM! Georgetown hospital is not a good, and life in Burlington, I can assure you, is 10x better.