Georgetown Waitlist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JayMiranti

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How much movement is there?

I was looking at the stats from last year,

1200 int.
25% accepted. 50%waitlisted. 25% rejected.
And 400 acceptances for 180 spots. (all roughly).

so 300 people get accepted outright initially.

so it seems like they take 100 people off of the waitlist of 600. Seems like a pretty slim chance right?

Members don't see this ad.

if you break it down - the numbers aren't that cut and dry.

cause they will ONLY consider accepting waitlisted people who write a letter of intent. they literally put them in 2 piles and toss the people who don't show interest. Since a number of people may be turned off by what they learn on interview day and decide they don't care to go to gtown and others might just drop the ball on writing the letter - the odds start looking better.

if you are waitlisted and really want to go, you can significantly increase your odds by some follow through, ex an updated letter, LOI and some new recommendations (if you are a non-trad).

Illy

there is a lot of movement for gtown. a friend of mine got waitlisted in december and then got in in early february. send them a letter if you're really interested.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I would imagine that there is a lot of movement, cuz I bet a lot of people get accepted then choose to go somewhere cheaper, but the numbers dont lie so i dont know what to think.

As for a LOI, im not sure if the I means interest, or intent. I have sent a letter of interest, but not one of intent. I already sent a letter of intent out to my state school (on waitlist too), only cuz i think that is where i have the best chance of getting in (im on the bubble you could say) So that rules out sending one to georgetown right?

I mean if I send out two, and georgetown accepts me, i withdraw from the state school, and vice versa. Then, the other one can't "accept" me once ive withdrawn, and the "if accepted i will enroll" agreement is meaningless right? they didnt accept me right i withdrew?

I feel the only trouble is if they both accept me at the same time, and are the odds of that worth not writing a letter for? Tough decisions, advice appreciated.

Georgetowns admissions office was extremely unprofessional to me 2 years ago, so I would say just send to Letter of intents. Screw the admin people over there. Basically, they gave me an interview, and I asked if I could do it later on in the year because I was TAing a class at UCLA, they told me no and I would automatically be rejected. When I freed up a day earlier to go, they told me they already took me off the list of people who was offered an interview.