Georgetown

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gary5

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do you think of Georgetown? I know they've been reviewed as having poor facilities. However, they're having their facilities redone this spring/summer. Any other thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Great training for clinicians and they match REAL well into Ortho. Their third year is very hard, and I hear all the students dress nice. Some people don't like the fact that the Post-bac take some classes with the regular students. And I personally hate their dean of admissions (not the other people though. Just him)

does anyone know till when they send out interviews? i haven't heard anything from them post secondary

Members don't see this ad :)
i hated georgetown. the admissions people were nice and the philosophy was fine, but i didn't like the students i encountered there.

Here is the lowdown on GTown

Yes, the facilities are sub-par. Thats the truth. You might have heard how there are all these improvements that are going to be completed soon. Thats a load of bull b/c they've been saying that for how many years now?!? If you noticed next to the library there is a blueprint for a remodeling. That thing has been up there forever! What school uses sandbags to keep water out of the first floor? Seriously, the facilities leave much to be desired.

If you are looking for diversity, look elsewhere. You stick out unless you're a preppy all-american jock type. Thats probably the reason they match so well in ortho. Sometimes I feel like I'm walking in a living Abercrombie and Fitch catalog. The only shot of diversity in the program are students that get in from the GEMS program. Otherwise the school is mostly white.

The curriculum is very very traditional, if that is to your liking. Living in DC is damn expensive, and living anywhere decent entails a horrendous commute.

Anyhow, thats my put. Take it for what its worth.

Wow, these are really glowing reviews. :)

ill second the georgetown opionions. the facilities are the worst ive seen, the weather is awful, and its way too expensive to live in a gross place. that being said, dc is a really cool city, and there are lots of opportunities to do neat things here. the med school rides the coat tails of the law school and the undergrad. i think that because the education here doesnt seem too great. its really disjointed. maybe thats because im a postbacc student here, and i dont get to take all of the classes. theres really no diversity in the class whatsoever. it all comes from the postbacc students and the gems students. most of the meds are pretty nerdy, but what do you expect? its med school. id definitely pick any state school over it, but if you dont have that choice, it still matches well. bring your checkbook...

I interviewed at Georgetown a few weeks ago and I did not think that the facillities were as bad as everyone says. No, they were not state of the art, but I believe that the great faculty that they have more than makes up for this short coming. I looked at their match list for the past three years and I must say that it was quite impressive (especially in ortho which is what I want to do).

Originally posted by lsutiger
I interviewed at Georgetown a few weeks ago and I did not think that the facillities were as bad as everyone says. No, they were not state of the art, but I believe that the great faculty that they have more than makes up for this short coming. I looked at their match list for the past three years and I must say that it was quite impressive (especially in ortho which is what I want to do).

of course they dont show you the crappy parts on the tour. :rolleyes:

Since you want to do ortho, maybe you're the "type" that fits in perfectly. In that case it might be a great school for you.

I interviewed at Georgetown and i loved it. I have heard from others (and from the admissions people themselves) that you either love the school or you hate it. They are in the middle of remodeling some of their facilities so things should be getting better, but in my humble, and probably not very well informed opinion, things didn't look that bad.

If Georgetown would even take me as a student (which I doubt), I would love to attend their school. I visited DC as an 8th grader and loved the city...specifically..the Hill. I've been told that it's one of the more dangerous cities in the country and has a higher average crime rate....but I'm sure the vicinity around the G-town campus can't be all that bad. And even if it is...I'd be used to it by now since I go to Berkeley...which is a filthy, disgusting, 3rd world hellhole in the middle of CA. The only redeeming quality of the City of Berkeley is that it's home to a great university.

I have been at Georgetown U for the past eight years and I will be attending the medical school this fall. If anyone wants a real, experienced opinion about the med school, feel free to pm me.

In respose to the two previos posts.

Highclass: if you're an upcoming GTown med student, then how do you have any idea what the medical school is like? You havent even started yet.

Cather: If you go to GTown you'll soon realize that the classroom is populated with the post-bacc students because the meds go to far fewer classes. There are 120+ post-baccs, so that would account for 80% of th students you saw.

You should check out the labs on the first floor. They have a mishmash of stools of 1960's vintage, half of which dont work. I think that qualifies at "terrible". Sitting on those things for more than 10 minutes makes my ass hurt like a mother.

Originally posted by eyeful
In respose to the two previos posts.

Highclass: if you're an upcoming GTown med student, then how do you have any idea what the medical school is like? You havent even started yet.

Just for your info. I went to Georgetown undergrad and grad and I work in the med center. I have many friends that are med students and I have had classes with the faculty and I have sat in on med school classes. I am not saying that I know everything about the med school, but I have been in close contact with the school for 8 years. Maybe that doesn't qualify me to say what it is like to be a med student at Georgetown yet, but I definatley know a lot about the school and have had many experiences with it.

in terms of facilities: the library isn't soundproof
if you need to do some literature research; gtown doesn't have much; i was an SMP student last year and we had to do a research paper and review a bunch of journal articles; i had to trek out to the NIH and was told to go to GW to find my journals because gtown's med library didn't subscribe to the journals i needed, either in print or online!!

in terms of crime; the neighborhood of georgetown doesn't mean that it is crime free; there is a bit less crime because gtown has no subway stop; so that helps

but we were sent email warnings from the school to be cautious several times last year as students in our neighborhood were mugged, often at gunpoint and even in groups. people say its safer; but i guess its relative

in terms of faculty; just like the other poster said; a few people are great others are less than perfect; i guess you get that at all schools; but gtown's faculty is not completely glowing in excellence.

Hello,

So if you all had to choose between GW and G-town, which would you choose and why? I have trouble distinguishing between the schools: Both private, high priced, D.C. schools, with a emphasis mostly on good clinical training but not many research opportunities for medical students.

Comments?

tpf

"I never thought I'd hear myself say this but I'd pick GW over Georgetown." - Trusted Professor of Mine

Why doesn't Howard get any play? If you want a well-rounded education with a diverse student body go to Howard. Or just hang out with a bunch of rich kids who couldn't get in at better chools at GW. But you don't have to take my word for it.

Originally posted by BerkeleyPremed
I'd be used to it by now since I go to Berkeley...which is a filthy, disgusting, 3rd world hellhole in the middle of CA. The only redeeming quality of the City of Berkeley is that it's home to a great university.

Wow, if that isn't berkely in a nutshell. LoL. But come on it's not THAT bad.