Georgetown

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shirazsyrah

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

Can anybody tell me what they think about GT? I'll admit I wasnt impressed w/ the rooms or facilities. Also, when I looked at the match list I didnt see any residencies like CHOPS, Childrens Hospital of Boston, or Sinai, etc (can you tell i want to be a pediatrician?). If the school is that great why doesnt it have equally great residencies.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there,
The medical school is not responsible for residency selections or preparation, the individual students are. Where you match in residency is a very individual matter. If you have a specific residency program in mind, you should 1. Make contact with someone in the residency program that interests you. 2. Make sure that you grades in medical school(especially third year clerkships) are very high 3. Make sure that your USMLE Step I and Step II scores match what the program demands. 4. Make sure that you match what the program demands. I don't care what your scores and grades are, if you don't interview well, you are not going to be ranked by a good program. 5.Be sure to write a good personal statement and have a good CV 6. Make sure that you have a strong department chairman that has some contacts at said program. Your medical school is not a guarantee that you will match at any particular program but having and presenting a good package will greatly improve your chances. :cool:

Where did you get the match list for Georgetown? I heard they have a strong reputation with residency directors as well. I think I'm going to go there, but would really like to see the match list first. I also have an interest in pediatrics and general surgery.

Members don't see this ad :)
does georgetown really have a strong rep with residency directors??

To say a school doesn't have anything to do is totally wrong. I've talked to the admin director at Cedar Sinai, and they say that if they have had an exceptional student from X school, and another applicant from X school comes along, it helps a lot.
Therefore, if you go to a good school with good students, you are better off than otherwise.

Originally posted by surfdevl02
does georgetown really have a strong rep with residency directors??
Georgetown is known for producing great clinicians (As I'm sure they told you in their interview.) So if you are interested in being a primary care person, georgetown is great. (not going to mention the converse)