MedStar Health/Georgetown ERAS Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DocRock19

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I noticed that there were two different codes for the MedStar Health/Georgetown Internal Medicine residency programs: One titled "MedStar Health/Georgetown University Hospital Program" and the other "MedStar Health/Georgetown-Washington Hospital Center Program." I am having trouble discerning what the difference is between the two? Are they both University Programs? Is one a community-based program affiliated with Georgetown University?

Thanks for any and all info!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,
I noticed that there were two different codes for the MedStar Health/Georgetown Internal Medicine residency programs: One titled "MedStar Health/Georgetown University Hospital Program" and the other "MedStar Health/Georgetown-Washington Hospital Center Program." I am having trouble discerning what the difference is between the two? Are they both University Programs? Is one a community-based program affiliated with Georgetown University?

I'm not IM, but I'm a Georgetown resident.

Both are "affiliated" with Georgetown, but the Georgetown University Hospital (GUH) program is the one that you're thinking about. Both are university programs in the sense that they are tertiary centers affiliated with a medical school and will have many medical students. GUH is not a trauma center, so you'll have less ED patients, and the population (many mid-upper class) is different from Washington Hospital Center (WHC), where it's more low-income. GUH is known as a transplant center with very good GI service, while WHC is a level 1 trauma center with a wide range of specialties and better cardiovascular care. WHC has more services in general.

GUH is where the medical school is, but you'll have students everywhere at WHC as well. If you are applying to fellowship programs, GUH generally has the bigger name and will likely help you more, although I've heard WHC has the better cardiology service.

Hi all,

Georgetown University Hospital = academic program, fairly competitive, mostly USMDs and some DOs.
Washington Hospital Center = university affiliated program, not competitive, almost all IMGs.

Note this is for IM specifically.