PMinty44

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 8, 2005
171
0
Status
I'm trying to decide whether to re-visit Georgetown and continue to consider them as a possible place at which to matriculate next school year.

I spent about a day and a night at G-town and, unfortunately, I was negatively impressed by the following factors:

1. When I requested a list of women of color that would be willing to host me, I was given the names of only 2 women (who ended up living together) and was told that the opportunity to stay with ANY student was valuable so that I should stay with anyone if I couldn't coordinate with these two women (I totally agree with this. However, as a woman of color, it is important to me to see what other women of colors' experiences are like.)

2. I stayed with these 2 fabulous women of color (they were hospitable, friendly, all around great). They informed me that most of the body of students of color at G-Town are people who were not accepted the first time they applied to G-town, but showed plenty of promise and went through this super-rigorous post-bac program before re-applying and being admitted. As a result, some of the few (1 or 2 per class, according to them) who were accepted NOT through the post-bac program have felt that everyone (faculty and other students) assume that if they are of color, they, too, must have come through the post-bac program. This did not leave a good taste in my mouth.

3. I also got the feeling that G-Town students have a HUGE load of work: classes from 8 - 4 or 5 p.m. and little time to get out of G-Town area (which is homogenous and over-priviliged) to work with the underserved communities in DC.

What I'm wondering is: am I crazy? Is G-town different from how I experenced it? Is it worth it to send them the $100 deposit (due tomorrow) and re-visit them (note: they do NOT have a second-look weekend, so I would have to do this on my own and pay fotr it, etc). My top-choice is Cornell, but I have been waitlisted there. I'm seriously considering Pitt, Case and UMass. So, do I continue to consider G-Town or do I drop it and make room for someone off the waitlist?

Thanks for your help.
 

highclass

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 15, 2003
139
1
DC
Visit site
Status
A few things.

I am a student at Gtown. I have a friend in my class who is a very cool woman of color who got into gtown on her own merit straight from undergrad. I met her in during a community service project organized by the school in which we were helping to serve a minority community.

I had class until 12:00 for 3 out of 5 days last week.

Good luck
























PMinty44 said:
I'm trying to decide whether to re-visit Georgetown and continue to consider them as a possible place at which to matriculate next school year.

I spent about a day and a night at G-town and, unfortunately, I was negatively impressed by the following factors:

1. When I requested a list of women of color that would be willing to host me, I was given the names of only 2 women (who ended up living together) and was told that the opportunity to stay with ANY student was valuable so that I should stay with anyone if I couldn't coordinate with these two women (I totally agree with this. However, as a woman of color, it is important to me to see what other women of colors' experiences are like.)

2. I stayed with these 2 fabulous women of color (they were hospitable, friendly, all around great). They informed me that most of the body of students of color at G-Town are people who were not accepted the first time they applied to G-town, but showed plenty of promise and went through this super-rigorous post-bac program before re-applying and being admitted. As a result, some of the few (1 or 2 per class, according to them) who were accepted NOT through the post-bac program have felt that everyone (faculty and other students) assume that if they are of color, they, too, must have come through the post-bac program. This did not leave a good taste in my mouth.

3. I also got the feeling that G-Town students have a HUGE load of work: classes from 8 - 4 or 5 p.m. and little time to get out of G-Town area (which is homogenous and over-priviliged) to work with the underserved communities in DC.

What I'm wondering is: am I crazy? Is G-town different from how I experenced it? Is it worth it to send them the $100 deposit (due tomorrow) and re-visit them (note: they do NOT have a second-look weekend, so I would have to do this on my own and pay fotr it, etc). My top-choice is Cornell, but I have been waitlisted there. I'm seriously considering Pitt, Case and UMass. So, do I continue to consider G-Town or do I drop it and make room for someone off the waitlist?

Thanks for your help.
 

Jaded Knight

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
Mar 10, 2005
9
0
Status
1. When I requested a list of women of color that would be willing to host me, I was given the names of only 2 women (who ended up living together)
I didn't apply to Georgetown, but I also ran into trouble when I made this request to the schools that I did apply to. Heck, you got a better response than I ever did. Of course it didn't help that I'm a skinny chinese dude... :p
 
OP
P

PMinty44

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 8, 2005
171
0
Status
highclass said:
A few things.

I am a student at Gtown. I have a friend in my class who is a very cool woman of color who got into gtown on her own merit straight from undergrad. I met her in during a community service project organized by the school in which we were helping to serve a minority community.

I had class until 12:00 for 3 out of 5 days last week.

Good luck
Are you a first year? Can you tell me a bit more about your schedule? Do you feel like URMs are stigmatized at G-Town? What other schools were you considering before matriculatin at G-town and why did you choose G-town? If you feel more comfortable answering this questions by PMing me, that's cool, too. Either way is fine for me.

I hope you don't think I was insulting your school. I just want to figure out if G-town and I are a good fit.
 

medguy47

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
May 31, 2004
18
0
Status
I believe that posting may have been in error. gtown classes are about 9-5 everyday. with anatomy lab 3 times a week. you can check their schedule which is mapped out for everyone to see on their website.

PMinty44 said:
Are you a first year? Can you tell me a bit more about your schedule? Do you feel like URMs are stigmatized at G-Town? What other schools were you considering before matriculatin at G-town and why did you choose G-town? If you feel more comfortable answering this questions by PMing me, that's cool, too. Either way is fine for me.

I hope you don't think I was insulting your school. I just want to figure out if G-town and I are a good fit.
 

gschl1234

Senior Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 8, 2003
1,014
13
Status
Attending Physician
PMinty44 said:
What I'm wondering is: am I crazy? Is G-town different from how I experenced it? Is it worth it to send them the $100 deposit (due tomorrow) and re-visit them (note: they do NOT have a second-look weekend, so I would have to do this on my own and pay fotr it, etc). My top-choice is Cornell, but I have been waitlisted there. I'm seriously considering Pitt, Case and UMass. So, do I continue to consider G-Town or do I drop it and make room for someone off the waitlist?

Thanks for your help.
Why not put the deposit down and put off your decision for another couple of weeks. You'll still get it back as long as you withdraw before May 1st (as I recall), right?