Georgia State DPT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

redrose424

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have an interview for GA State coming up in November and was hoping to hear some opinions about the program from current/past students and people who have interviewed there. This forum surprisingly doesn't seem to have too much info about GA State, I can't tell if this is good or bad haha.

Also welcome are any interview tips specifically for State (what the interview format was, types of questions, etc). Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Redrose! I'm also applying to GA State for their DPT program. My PTCAS was verified 4 days after their priority deadline, so I haven't heard anything back yet. When did you have everything completed, and when did you hear you were invited for an interview? It's my first choice, so I'm hoping I hear something soon!

Hi Redrose! I'm also applying to GA State for their DPT program. My PTCAS was verified 4 days after their priority deadline, so I haven't heard anything back yet. When did you have everything completed, and when did you hear you were invited for an interview? It's my first choice, so I'm hoping I hear something soon!

I had everything completed late June. I was invited for an interview a few weeks ago, not sure what day but if you look at my post in the GPA's, GRE's, XTRA's, ACCEPTANCES thread (stickied at the top) I have it updated with specific dates that I had everything completed and was invited for an interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had everything completed late June. I was invited for an interview a few weeks ago, not sure what day but if you look at my post in the GPA's, GRE's, XTRA's, ACCEPTANCES thread (stickied at the top) I have it updated with specific dates that I had everything completed and was invited for an interview.

So they are indeed doing it in waves. Did they send you an email, or notify you via the application status page. I've heard several things about the GA State interview, but I also know they're changing every year.

It was an email, I'm not aware of the application status page. What have you heard?

This is how I've been checking https://app.gsu.edu/applicantstatus/. I've heard they asked bizarre questions that had nothing to do with standard "why PT" or "why should we pick you". It was random things last year like "if you were an animal, what would you be?"

Reactions: 1 users
Hello Redrose, I am currently a 1st year in the GSU program. So far, I feel the staff here will do anything they can to help you succeed. It is a very demanding curriculum though. The facility is very nice and only a few years old. The DPT program here has it's own cadaver lab that is not shared. This is a nice perk as many schools share cadaver labs. Not really sure what else you might want to know about the program, feel free to ask further questions. As far as the interview in concerned, KNOW the APTA Goal statement. Go ahead and look up the history of the physical therapist profession. It is on the APTA website. Also, Look up the HB505 Bill that give physical therapist direct access. You will probably be asked a question on this. Also, if you get wait listed, don't give up. I was 21 on the wait list for GSU and was still admitted. Remember, with PTCAS, everyone is applying to every school. Many that are accepted are also accepted to all the other schools. So don't be to discouraged if you are put on a wait list. My undergraduate information:
Armstrong State University: Major- Rehabilitation Science Minor- Neuroscience
GPA:3.74
GRE: 150 verbal 150 quantitative
123 hours of observation total
50- SNF
45- OP
28- Acute
Hope this helps!

This is how I've been checking https://app.gsu.edu/applicantstatus/. I've heard they asked bizarre questions that had nothing to do with standard "why PT" or "why should we pick you". It was random things last year like "if you were an animal, what would you be?"

Oh god I hope so! Those are my kind of questions. Hmm, I logged on and it says they haven't received my prerequisite form... interesting considering I mailed and emailed it. Guess I shouldn't worry though if they've already offered me an interview.

Hello Redrose, I am currently a 1st year in the GSU program. So far, I feel the staff here will do anything they can to help you succeed. It is a very demanding curriculum though. The facility is very nice and only a few years old. The DPT program here has it's own cadaver lab that is not shared. This is a nice perk as many schools share cadaver labs. Not really sure what else you might want to know about the program, feel free to ask further questions. As far as the interview in concerned, KNOW the APTA Goal statement. Go ahead and look up the history of the physical therapist profession. It is on the APTA website. Also, Look up the HB505 Bill that give physical therapist direct access. You will probably be asked a question on this. Also, if you get wait listed, don't give up. I was 21 on the wait list for GSU and was still admitted. Remember, with PTCAS, everyone is applying to every school. Many that are accepted are also accepted to all the other schools. So don't be to discouraged if you are put on a wait list. My undergraduate information:
50- SNF
45- OP
28- Acute
Hope this helps!

Thank you for the help! What are some things you dislike about the program? How do you feel the teaching style is, I have heard of "problem based" at UNG and "learner-centered" at GRU, but not much about the style at GA State. Have you done any clinicals yet and where do they have most of their affiliations? Was the interview process fairly laid back and one-on-one or was it a group interview?

Reactions: 1 user
Oh god I hope so! Those are my kind of questions. Hmm, I logged on and it says they haven't received my prerequisite form... interesting considering I mailed and emailed it. Guess I shouldn't worry though if they've already offered me an interview.

Thank you for the help! What are some things you dislike about the program? How do you feel the teaching style is, I have heard of "problem based" at UNG and "learner-centered" at GRU, but not much about the style at GA State. Have you done any clinicals yet and where do they have most of their affiliations? Was the interview process fairly laid back and one-on-one or was it a group interview?
that's a great question! I'm curious, too.

50- SNF
45- OP
28- Acute
Hope this helps!
say hi to ben chong for me!

50- SNF
45- OP
28- Acute
Hope this helps!

Thank you for your advice! GA State is my first choice, and I'm looking to do anything and everything I can to prepare for interviews (if I'm offered an interview). I have a semester off before PT school starts, is there anything I can/should do to get ahead with preparation? Or should I enjoy the time off while I have it?

I have an interview for GA State coming up in November and was hoping to hear some opinions about the program from current/past students and people who have interviewed there. This forum surprisingly doesn't seem to have too much info about GA State, I can't tell if this is good or bad haha.

Also welcome are any interview tips specifically for State (what the interview format was, types of questions, etc). Thanks!
Redrose, have you had an interview yet? How did it go? What did they ask? I'm still waiting to hear if I received an interview.

The interview process: I felt this was fairly laid back. It's one on one which is nice to me. As far as things i don't like about the program, So far has been nothing. I know it sounds cliche to say that, but the staff has been amazing. For example- Movement Science is a relatively hard course, but the teacher is willing to staff after class often over an hour to help students understand. The staff is available pretty much 24/7 through e-mail, phone, or office hours. One thing i like, is the class that comes in is the same class you will graduate with. I'm am told this is not the same at every school. Probably my only complaint is, we spend so much time in class and studying at home that it's hard to find time to exercise. Yet, that is something you will have to do. You will spend so much time sitting in a chair you will probably go crazy if you don't get exercise. I'm sure this is the same for all programs though. As far as the teaching style, I'm not really sure what they mean by problem based, but you learn the knowledge and are then asked to put that knowledge into real life application pretty much immediately. Clinical's are ever changing. They have contracts all over the U.S.A., one in Italy, and a few other foreign countries if you are real adventurous. Dr. Huggin's tries hard to place you where you want to go, but they have to have a contract with the school on file. I know they have over 150 hospitals and clinics in Ga to pick from when you combine all clinical environments. Another things i am not a fan of is the urban campus. While the campus itself is fine, Atlanta is not cheap to live in and traffic is terrible on a good day. If city life does not bother you, you will probably love it.
Hope that helps. Sorry for any typo's this is just suppose to be a quick response

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your advice! GA State is my first choice, and I'm looking to do anything and everything I can to prepare for interviews (if I'm offered an interview). I have a semester off before PT school starts, is there anything I can/should do to get ahead with preparation? Or should I enjoy the time off while I have it?

Enjoy your time off! Maybe brush up on anatomy and possibly medical terminology? If you are just leaving a challenging undergrad, the summer semester is overly to challenging. If you have not been in school for a while or didn't have a hard undergraduate degree just be ready to be busy. It's only 4 days a week. 3 days a week for studying makes it relatively easy transition with moving. Fall semester will be pretty jam packed, but definitely manageable. Best thing to remember, You do NOT have to be a straight A student anymore! You are in Graduate school! No one cares if you were a straight A student when hiring you. They just want to know you passed your boards, are licensed, and can work/communicate well with others.
Summer semester consisted of
Lifespan
Pathophysiology
Medical terminology
Professional practice

I can not guarantee this will be your schedule, but I feel confident it will be the same for next years class.
Hope this helps some

The interview process: I felt this was fairly laid back. It's one on one which is nice to me. As far as things i don't like about the program, So far has been nothing. I know it sounds cliche to say that, but the staff has been amazing. For example- Movement Science is a relatively hard course, but the teacher is willing to staff after class often over an hour to help students understand. The staff is available pretty much 24/7 through e-mail, phone, or office hours. One thing i like, is the class that comes in is the same class you will graduate with. I'm am told this is not the same at every school. Probably my only complaint is, we spend so much time in class and studying at home that it's hard to find time to exercise. Yet, that is something you will have to do. You will spend so much time sitting in a chair you will probably go crazy if you don't get exercise. I'm sure this is the same for all programs though. As far as the teaching style, I'm not really sure what they mean by problem based, but you learn the knowledge and are then asked to put that knowledge into real life application pretty much immediately. Clinical's are ever changing. They have contracts all over the U.S.A., one in Italy, and a few other foreign countries if you are real adventurous. Dr. Huggin's tries hard to place you where you want to go, but they have to have a contract with the school on file. I know they have over 150 hospitals and clinics in Ga to pick from when you combine all clinical environments. Another things i am not a fan of is the urban campus. While the campus itself is fine, Atlanta is not cheap to live in and traffic is terrible on a good day. If city life does not bother you, you will probably love it.
Hope that helps. Sorry for any typo's this is just suppose to be a quick response

Did you have more of the typical questions you'd expect, or the random questions that make you think? Everything I hear about the program is nothing but good news! Do you live on campus, or do you commute?

Did you have more of the typical questions you'd expect, or the random questions that make you think? Everything I hear about the program is nothing but good news! Do you live on campus, or do you commute?

Agreed that it was more laid back. Its one-on-one. They asked fairly normal questions I think, the only one that stood out to me was which animal would you be and why.

Agreed that it was more laid back. Its one-on-one. They asked fairly normal questions I think, the only one that stood out to me was which animal would you be and why.
Redrose have you heard anything yet?

Congratulations! I'm still waiting to hear about an interview!

Thank you! This may be completely wrong, so don't quote me, but one of the other interviewees when I went mentioned that the professor who interviewed her said they typically accept half their class from the first round of interviews (which I attended) and then have a second interview in January and accept the rest and rank a waitlist. If this is true then I would think they would send out interview invitations in December sometime.

Hope this helps, I hate playing the waiting game.

Thank you! This may be completely wrong, so don't quote me, but one of the other interviewees when I went mentioned that the professor who interviewed her said they typically accept half their class from the first round of interviews (which I attended) and then have a second interview in January and accept the rest and rank a waitlist. If this is true then I would think they would send out interview invitations in December sometime.

Hope this helps, I hate playing the waiting game.

From what I've heard, that is correct. They said they'd begin sending out the second round of interview notifications starting the 18th of November. I'm still incredibly nervous. Waiting really is the worst part. Any advice for the interview process?

From what I've heard, that is correct. They said they'd begin sending out the second round of interview notifications starting the 18th of November. I'm still incredibly nervous. Waiting really is the worst part. Any advice for the interview process?

Its one-on-one but pretty laid back. They will give you the name of the person you're interviewing with before so make sure you pay attention when they introduce all the staff.

Adcom is meeting next week to decide who will be interviewed in January. Brace yourselves!

Has anyone heard from GA State about interviews this week?

Has anyone heard from GA State about interviews this week?
Misha emailed and said we should hear by the end of this week. If not, you can start panicking. Not quite yet.

What exactly does yours say? Mine just says application complete - ready for review

Mine says I've been admitted. Maybe they are still looking at applications and haven't made a decision on yours yet?

I've seen your stats on some other thread, I think. I have no clue why you got denied :( i'm sorry.
It's quite alright! I actually gave a pretty bad interview. GSU was my top choice before, but Mercer and Emory definitely won me over, although I wouldn't know which to pick if I were accepted into Emory.

It's quite alright! I actually gave a pretty bad interview. GSU was my top choice before, but Mercer and Emory definitely won me over, although I wouldn't know which to pick if I were accepted into Emory.

Can I ask what made the interview bad? Nerves? Obviously you didn't give a bad one for Mercer.

Can I ask what made the interview bad? Nerves? Obviously you didn't give a bad one for Mercer.
I think it was a combination of several things, but mostly revolved around how comfortable I felt with the interviewers (Dr. Gore was friendly and nodded along to what I was saying but Dr. Farrell read each question off of a piece of paper and didn't give me much of a response) and also how pressed for time I felt. With 15 or so minutes to answer 5-7 questions, I think I sped through my responses and didn't elaborate as much as I would've wanted to. Dr. Farrell also worded the why PT question in a way that I didn't understand so I tried answering it, but realized too late what he was asking for. One of the difference I've found between programs has also been in the types of questions they ask. I felt that GSU's questions, while valid, didn't touch much upon what you were like as a person whereas GRU asked what you would do if a group partner wasn't pulling his or her weight or Mercer's question on characteristics that PTs should have and which one exemplifies you. It could've also just been a bad day for me, but what I listed above is what I think negatively impacted the interview I gave.

I think it was a combination of several things, but mostly revolved around how comfortable I felt with the interviewers (Dr. Gore was friendly and nodded along to what I was saying but Dr. Farrell read each question off of a piece of paper and didn't give me much of a response) and also how pressed for time I felt. With 15 or so minutes to answer 5-7 questions, I think I sped through my responses and didn't elaborate as much as I would've wanted to. Dr. Farrell also worded the why PT question in a way that I didn't understand so I tried answering it, but realized too late what he was asking for. One of the difference I've found between programs has also been in the types of questions they ask. I felt that GSU's questions, while valid, didn't touch much upon what you were like as a person whereas GRU asked what you would do if a group partner wasn't pulling his or her weight or Mercer's question on characteristics that PTs should have and which one exemplifies you. It could've also just been a bad day for me, but what I listed above is what I think negatively impacted the interview I gave.

Interesting, it is perhaps my memory but I felt GSU's questions were more relaxed than that and asked more about personality. I actually don't remember a "Why PT" question, I remember talking to my interviewer about Blackfish (of all things!). I think towards the end of my interview and after all of the "standard" questions were asked my interviewer conversationally asked me how I managed to decide on PT (a question I've been asked in one form or another at every interview since I'm not a standard major). GRU I was nervous about because after I answered a few of the questions he made it seemed as if I had answered incorrectly or something, but I believe that was just his tactic. I don't remember being pressed for time though despite my little asides that I had with my interviewer (I thought I bombed because I got so off topic).

I'd say that a lot of the difference in our experiences has to do with our interviewers. My GRU interview actually went really well, I had professors that definitely made me feel at ease, but I have heard from others that they didn't have the same experience.

Has anyone been wait listed? Wondering when we can find out our place on the list...

Has anyone from the 1/16 interview been rejected yet?

Has anyone from the 1/16 interview been rejected yet?

I'm wondering about this too. I thought they said we'd know whether we were in/out/waitlisted by the following Friday, but has anyone heard?

50- SNF
45- OP
28- Acute
Hope this helps!
How long was it before you finally got admitted. I've heard stories of people not hearing anything until the last month or so. I'm currently #10 on the waitlist at GSU, so I just wanted to see how the timeline went down even though I know each year is different.