Geriatric Psychiatry elective

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

torontodoc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
At the end of my core psychiatry rotation, I was thinking of doing a 2 week elective in Geriatric Psychiatry. However, I am not very interested in a psych residency position. I am specifically targeting Internal Med or Neurology. I was wondering if a 2-week rotation in Geriatric Psychiatry be beneficial at all? According my school councilor, it's a great elective for someone targeting primary care specialties. Any opinions?

Members don't see this ad.

At the end of my core psychiatry rotation, I was thinking of doing a 2 week elective in Geriatric Psychiatry. However, I am not very interested in a psych residency position. I am specifically targeting Internal Med or Neurology. I was wondering if a 2-week rotation in Geriatric Psychiatry be beneficial at all? According my school councilor, it's a great elective for someone targeting primary care specialties. Any opinions?

If its a third year elective as part of your regular coursework, no one gives a **** one way or another. Do it because you want to, not because it might "look good" on an application.

If its a fourth year elective, then fourth year electives should be of three varieties

(1) Blow offs. Decompress, take some time for yourself. You've earned it.

(2) Interesting stuff you'll never see again. If you're doing IM, you might never learn how to do a proper ortho exam, not the way the ortho guys will want it when you consult them. So you do ortho now to learn those skills.

(3) Personal Enrichment. Some places have "how to teach" or "get ready for internship" courses. Those can be fun, and are usually low stress, meeting blow off criteria.

(4) Auditions. You do these EARLY in your 4th year, so that its an extended 3rd year. Which is why I said there are 3 types of 4th year. You're doing IM. It sounds like primary care. No need to audition for that gig. electives.

Geri psych would be infinitely useful for IM, to learn proper management of derlirium and/or dementia in the elderly (and for those demented patients who present with derlirium). "Proper management" does not mean benzos and/or endless Haldol.