1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

Geriatrics and anesthesiology?

Discussion in 'Anesthesiology' started by flipcyde, Apr 24, 2007.

1. flipcyde

flipcyde New Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Long time lurker here. Been interested in anesthesiology for a couple of years despite the issues that face the specialty. This post is for the veterans out there as well as the residents. I am a third year student in the middle of my medicine clerkship. I’ve been assigned to the geriatrics service for the next two weeks and will need to present a 5-10 minute topic of interest. Thought it would be interesting to talk about the perioperative care of the elderly. So I was wondering if I could pick your collective brains for a bit. What are some of the things you see on a daily basis that are unique to the geriatric population (besides the fact that they're generally a sicker bunch)? Thanks in advance for your help.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. BLADEMDA

BLADEMDA ASA Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    MY biggest concern is memory loss. Yes, the elderly have every problem known to man but currently ALL types of Anesthesia alter memory in the elderly.

I usually choose Regional plus Propofol drip for sedation. Still, no data showing memory is preserved better with Regional. I like to get Grandpa home to Grandma with his faculties fully intact. Now, what was I saying again?:laugh: