SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Geriatrics and anesthesiology?

Discussion in 'Anesthesiology' started by flipcyde, Apr 24, 2007.

1. flipcyde

flipcyde New Member 7+ Year Member

Apr 28, 2006
    Long time lurker here. Been interested in anesthesiology for a couple of years despite the issues that face the specialty. This post is for the veterans out there as well as the residents. I am a third year student in the middle of my medicine clerkship. I’ve been assigned to the geriatrics service for the next two weeks and will need to present a 5-10 minute topic of interest. Thought it would be interesting to talk about the perioperative care of the elderly. So I was wondering if I could pick your collective brains for a bit. What are some of the things you see on a daily basis that are unique to the geriatric population (besides the fact that they're generally a sicker bunch)? Thanks in advance for your help.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. BLADEMDA

BLADEMDA ASA Member 10+ Year Member

Apr 22, 2007
    Southeast
    MY biggest concern is memory loss. Yes, the elderly have every problem known to man but currently ALL types of Anesthesia alter memory in the elderly.

I usually choose Regional plus Propofol drip for sedation. Still, no data showing memory is preserved better with Regional. I like to get Grandpa home to Grandma with his faculties fully intact. Now, what was I saying again?:laugh: