Geriatrics?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hopkins has a very strong program in geriatrics. Rated #1 in US News and World reports. But the real reason why it is rated number one to me is because the people their are dedicated physcians. Check out the students section of the AGS website AFAR offers a program for students interested in the field. It is a great expereince. pm for more info. :p

Members don't see this ad.

Great posts!

And thanks, Brickhouse, it is so much better to hear what's going on from the source.

Like Celestron said, I am curious about strong residency programs in geriatrics. There are residency websites, but geriatrics doesn't seem to be the well defined specialty that psych. and OBGYN are. I've usually seen it as a subset of IM.

About rotations, I haven't seen geriatrics listed as a rotation, per se, but I'm curious about that too.

:luck:

gioia said:
Great posts!

And thanks, Brickhouse, it is so much better to hear what's going on from the source.

Like Celestron said, I am curious about strong residency programs in geriatrics. There are residency websites, but geriatrics doesn't seem to be the well defined specialty that psych. and OBGYN are. I've usually seen it as a subset of IM.

About rotations, I haven't seen geriatrics listed as a rotation, per se, but I'm curious about that too.

:luck:
You don't see residencies in geriatrics because it is done as a fellowship. You can get to it either through IM of family practice, though if you want to do academics, IM is often the better route to take. Most schools have a geriatrics rotation as a selective or an elective (I am assuming this would be true of most schools, it is true of Pitt).

Members don't see this ad :)
Emory has its own Geriatrics Hospital. I don't know if any other schools have one.

Michigan is supposed to be strong in geriatrics, too. According to the ultra-credible and infallible US News and World Report rankings of departments, U Mich is ranked among the top ten in geriatrics (#5 I think). Geriatrics is also fully integrated into the new curriculum at Michigan--I think it's a longitudinal experience that extends through all four years, with the last two years being more clinically oriented.

Thanks!

Hey Elias, Would you happen to know the other top 9 for geriatrics as listed by the ultra-credible and infallible US News and World report?

Rank Hospital U.S. News
1 UCLA Medical Center, Los
2 Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore
3 Mount Sinai Medical Center, New York
4 Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston
5 Duke University Medical Center, Durham, N.C.
6 Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn.
7 Yale-New Haven Hospital, New Haven, Conn.
8 University of Michigan Medical Center, Ann Arbor
9 St. Louis University Hospital
10 Cleveland Clinic

gioia said:
Thanks, Whispers!

Haha....I'm such a dolt - I work at UCLA and there are banners everywhere advertising their #1 rank in geriatrics and I didn't even think of it when you asked what hospitals had strong programs....good to know I've been paying attention. :rolleyes: