This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LNej375

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I've recently become quite interested in primary care, and I'm wondering if anyone could give me some information. I'd like to know which med schools have programs that are primary care focused - for example, they prefer to accept those going into primary care, they only train PC students, they are accelerated/have tuition discounts, or have some other benefit. I'd like to make a comprehensive list: any additional advice on what these schools look for in a candidate (extracurriculars that show them you're committed, for example) would be greatly appreciated as well.

Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

OSU has a 3 year primary care track and Duke has one as well. Those are the only two that come to mind for me out of the ones I applied to but I'm sure there are plenty more.

Hey everyone!

I've recently become quite interested in primary care, and I'm wondering if anyone could give me some information. I'd like to know which med schools have programs that are primary care focused - for example, they prefer to accept those going into primary care, they only train PC students, they are accelerated/have tuition discounts, or have some other benefit. I'd like to make a comprehensive list: any additional advice on what these schools look for in a candidate (extracurriculars that show them you're committed, for example) would be greatly appreciated as well.

Thanks so much!
MCW regional campuses (central WI and Green Bay) are more primary care focused and they have specific tracks for that. University of MN Duluth campus is primary care focused but prefers in state students. University of WI has the WARM program for rural primary care but also prefers in state students. There is a specific section on MSAR on primary care exposure. If you're interested in that, another factor you might want to consider is how active/established the school's associated free clinic is. That would be a great opportunity for additional primary care exposure

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone!

Thanks so much!
All DO schools, for starters.

Many state schools

Hey everyone!

Thanks so much!
What’s your state of residence, and are you near a border at all? That will help with sorting through some of the recommendations (Like UMN-Duluth campus and UW Madison’s WARM).

Texas Tech has a primary care track (one of the two, El Paso or Lubbock, also has a 3 YR if you take a Texas Tech residency after as well)

Columbia Basset is Columbia P&S’ primary care track

NYU has the 3 YR MD track that can be focused on primary care with a residency at NYU.

UT Brownsville is primary care/population health focused.

UWash/UCSF/UCLA have good reputations of being schools with strengths in both preparing students for primary care and/or academic research careers. But all of the UCs to my knowledge have a primary care track (ala PRIME) even if they are very geographically focused.

Loyola Stritch and Rush appear to be the most primary care oriented of the Chicago schools but Pritzker has a reputation for having students interested in health disparities/pop health/primary care as well.

Basically any med school that has to singlehandedly serve a large, diverse and diffuse patient population is going to be receptive to someone interested in primary care, esp if they have ties to the location associated with the med school. Same goes for schools in large urban areas with significant underserved populations.

Most public state schools. Most of which accept primarily in state students. So your state of residence would help.