GERL System

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Yankem

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is the following statement TRUE or FALSE?

The function of the GERL system is the synthesis and degradation of intracellular components

What do y'all think?

Members don't see this ad.

Dr. Yankem said:
Is the following statement TRUE or FALSE?

The function of the GERL system is the synthesis and degradation of intracellular components

What do y'all think?

This is what I found on the internet:

"The internal reticular apparatus of Golgi appears as tortuous anastomosing strands in the light microscope. Located between the nucleus and the cell membrane or at the base of a dendrite, the Golgi apparatus is composed of arrays of closely packed, smooth-surfaced cisternac and numerous associated vacuoles and vesicles. Its curved configuration allows a convex, external forming face and a concave, internal mature face to be distinguished. The internal face of the Golgi apparatus forms an integral part of the GERL system (Golgi apparatus, smooth endo*plasmic reticulum and lysosomes): a spatially closely related group of organelles which is devoted to the synthesising and condensing activity of the Golgi apparatus. ".

But since lysosomes are involved then I would assume that it is partially involved in intracellular digestion.

lintydent said:
This is what I found on the internet:

"The internal reticular apparatus of Golgi appears as tortuous anastomosing strands in the light microscope. Located between the nucleus and the cell membrane or at the base of a dendrite, the Golgi apparatus is composed of arrays of closely packed, smooth-surfaced cisternac and numerous associated vacuoles and vesicles. Its curved configuration allows a convex, external forming face and a concave, internal mature face to be distinguished. The internal face of the Golgi apparatus forms an integral part of the GERL system (Golgi apparatus, smooth endo*plasmic reticulum and lysosomes): a spatially closely related group of organelles which is devoted to the synthesising and condensing activity of the Golgi apparatus. ".

But since lysosomes are involved then I would assume that it is partially involved in intracellular digestion.

Thanks for your answer

Anyone who has taken cell biology and maybe discussed this organellar system in more detail?