Army Germany duty stations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Fried Plantaris

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Looking for more recent knowledge on this subject. How competitive is it nowadays to get stationed in Germany? Which specialties in particular are more likely to have an assignment there (surgical subspecialties vs. IM. vs rads vs. other)?
 
Tagged for interest.

When I was young doc with young kids on AD, I really didn't want to go to Germany. Extended family, etc etc.

Now, as an old reservist? I would trade an adult kid to do 90 days in Germany (post COVID), lol.

Back in the day, Germany was very competitive among a small group that really really wanted to be there vs the larger group that really didn't want to be anywhere overseas. Tripler was kinda like that too.

Now? No idea. Heck, I was amazed when I recently discovered that 03s and 04s can now get Colorado Springs right out of residency! That used to ba a favorite career camping spot for senior 05s and 06s.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
In 2006 my wife and I went to Germany for the World Cup. Saw the USA-Italy game in Kaiserslautern, which is super close to the Ramstein air base and Landstuhl hospital.

I spent the next ~10 years looking for some angle that would get us PCS'd there, but as a Navy guy, wasn't in the cards. Then I got distracted by fellowship and after that, too late. Would've been cool.
 
Well, I can’t say for certain as I was never there and don’t know how other specialties treat the issue. My assumption would be, based purely upon statistics, that specialties which field more personnel would have an easier time getting there - like FM or IM.
And definitely Army is probably easier since they “run” Landstuhl. Or did anyway.