Archimedes

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 31, 2004
Status
What is this nonsense? Just saw it in some other thread. You get a B in college in some science course, and you wont get into med school?

Tell me this is sheer nonsense, people.

TexasSnow

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 6, 2005
Houston
Status
I got in with a few C's and F's... :idea:

soooo.... I guess that means "nonsense"....

Though it is fun to scare pre-meds into believing it is true :D ;)

:)

About the Ads

peach4me

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 2, 2003
Visit site
Status
I'm a second year med student . . . I've gotten Bs and Cs in science courses undergrad. . . it just shows that your'e human

nico05

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 29, 2004
Long Island, NY
Status
I too have gotten a few B's and C's...Im not stopping now.

Blake

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 21, 2004
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Yea, that's pretty much nonsense, even in Canada. But Cs ? I'm pretty sure none of my classmates ever got a C in college (our grading system for med school admission is different, but having a C would definitely torpedoe your application. You have to see it to believe it, but it's true nonetheless). I guess that when over 75 % of the admission ''score'' is based on grades, you end up making a class full of academically gifted people.

RaistlinMajere

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2004
Boston
Status
Medical Student
Archimedes said:
What is this nonsense? Just saw it in some other thread. You get a B in college in some science course, and you wont get into med school?

What thread are you refering to?

japhy

Ski Bum
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 8, 1999
Alta, Ut
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
3 C's and a D. Waaaaaaaaaaaaay back in freshman year. It won't kill you, but you have to give the adcoms a great reason to look past those grades.

crys20

make it happen!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 7, 2004
Status
Couple Cs and feeling pretty confident about applying next cycle. At least in the States Cs don't mean much if you don't get a whole lot and the overall GPA is competitive. Upward trends are nice too! So CHILL!!! :)

dave613

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 16, 2004
New York
Status
This is complete bs. You can get into med school very easily with Bs on your transcript. Remember no med school has a 4.0 average requirement for gpa. So don't worry about it.

Ambs

Sleeping is underrated!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 16, 2004
Status
Medical Student
B? The horror! You've killed your chances!

You're not so safe with an A- or two either.

Just kidding... We're human. What matters is to not get Cs consistently. I think "general upward trends" are good.

Kazema

In a kingdom by the sea
15+ Year Member
Mar 16, 2004
Status
Medical Student
Come back when you've gotten 4 F's, countless C's and D's and multiple W's :laugh:

I'm not in yet this year, but I feel that even if I don't get in this time around, with some more hard work in a post-bacc I'll get in eventually.

About the Ads

Zondeare

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 7, 2005
Texas
Status
Attending Physician
It does depend on the med school. I was definitely asked about a B on my transcript in one of my interviews. Some people don't care, others do.

Ambs

Sleeping is underrated!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 16, 2004
Status
Medical Student
Pinkertinkle said:
Depends which med school!
Ah, good point.

I guess we can all safely say though that a few Bs won't kill ya.

FloridaMadame

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 30, 2005
Status
Read some of the profiles. You will not find all that many 4.0 grades on it. Most pre-meds are human and while it might be nice to be perfect, most of us aren't and neither are our grades. A few B's definitely won't kill your chances and if one particular school turns up its nose at you for a B or 2, screw 'em!

ferzen

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 16, 2005
TX
Status
I got a C in o-chem and genetics, but still got into medschool. Probably because I am an electical engineering student at strong engineering school and did well on the MCAT.
Lesson, to learn don't get a C unless your an engineer ;) or just do really well on MCAT.

visualwealth

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Oct 18, 2004
Status
I fyou wanna go to a top school better be careful with those B's.. B=Bad

PineappleGirl

Sweet and Juicy!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2004
Boston
Status
Archimedes said:

It's sheer nonsense.
I know several people who went to med school with Cs, Ds, and yes, even one person with one F on their transcript (granted these were not top 10 schools, but they weren't "lower" tier either).

Psycho Doctor

*** Angel
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2004
Status
Medical Student
Archimedes said:

it's sheer nonsense. Believe it or not people have even gotten in witrh Cs, Ds and Fs. It's how you redeem yourself after those kinds of grades or if you had a significant issue causing a bad semseter. Grades aren't everything; they look at the whole applicant. But a B, even in sciences? It will be fine as long as there are As mixed in there and other facets of your application are good. Best of luck!

sistahnik

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 20, 2003
Visit site
Status
Other Health Professions Student
yea, but did these people get B's C's and D's in the science prereqs? of course they will be more led to overlook if the low grades are in your major and not the sciences. I want to know if anyone has gotten D's in the prereqs and still gotten in. say maybe a D+ in gen chem!?!?

Law2Doc

5K+ Member
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
sistahnik said:
yea, but did these people get B's C's and D's in the science prereqs? of course they will be more led to overlook if the low grades are in your major and not the sciences. I want to know if anyone has gotten D's in the prereqs and still gotten in. say maybe a D+ in gen chem!?!?
I know of people who got D's in orgo and got in to an allopathic US med school. Involved retaking the classes for an A in a postbacc though. I think the short answer is that a C or D will not preclude attendance to med school if (1) they are early in your undergrad career, (2) they are few in number, and (3) in some cases, if the courses are retaken or their impact minimized by additional courses in a postbacc or masters. That being said, it is simply silly of the OP to worry about a B...

sistahnik

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 20, 2003
Visit site
Status
Other Health Professions Student
thanks Law2doc! I was just worrying about retaking gen chem for a better grade.

TexasSnow

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 6, 2005
Houston
Status
sistahnik said:
Doesn't a D constitute as failing a class, and thus not receiving credit? If so, then one can't receive a D+ in gen chem and enter med school as the applicant has not demonstrated s/he has grasped the material. Now if the applicant retook the class, and passed, things would be different.

That being said, I received a couple of Ds in prerequiste courses (and retook them of course) in the middle of my college "career", and still got in to a top 20 school. As long as you can explain the dip in grades and tell the adcom you learned something about yourself, how you learn and the value of schedules, you'll be fine.

:luck: to all with a few C's, D's, and F's on their transcripts! :laugh:

gujuDoc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 21, 2004
Status
Medical Student, Resident [Any Field]
Kazema said:
Come back when you've gotten 4 F's, countless C's and D's and multiple W's :laugh:

I'm not in yet this year, but I feel that even if I don't get in this time around, with some more hard work in a post-bacc I'll get in eventually.

I'm sure with postbac you'll get in, considering your MCAT is unbelievable. Just do another science degree or a master's of some sort, and you'll be ok.

fotolilith

It's for a good cause
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 14, 2004
Mittelschmerz, USA
Status
Yeah, you don't want to be TOO perfect - then they find reasons to reject you. ;-P

Being human is fine.

RoccoWJ

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 25, 2003
oakland pa
Visit site
Status
Medical Student
The only reason a medical school would frown upon a C or a D (certainly not a B) may be due to the fact of the sheer volume of information you learn here. For example, at Pitt we did Biochem in 11 days, yes 11 days. So they may worry that if you had trouble with say Gen Chem or Orgo over a semester you would be in over your head at med school. However, by retaking the class, doing well in other classes, and by establishing a strong application (MCAT, community service, research) the C or D's impact will deminish significantly.

Rocco

About the Ads