get a masters? or not?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Prince Abubu

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm applying over the summer next year, right after I graduate. I will have a year off of school, and was considering getting a masters at TCOM in medical sciences to improve my chances. Is it worth it? I would like to have a year off.

My approximate stats upon graduation in one year:
cGPA: 3.3
sGPA: 3.2

I have taken the MCAT and will likely retake soon:
10P / 9V / 9B - 28

So how does this work? I apply to schools and THEN I begin the masters program. Do they hold my app until they see my first semester grades? Do you think that this program would be beneficial for someone with my stats? I know they are below average, and I would love to stay in Texas at any medical school.

Members don't see this ad.

If you are interested in DO schools, you'd likely get an acceptance as you are, though I'd suggest applying more widely than just to Texas. If MD is your first choice, then I'd apply to a number of Special Masters Programs to have a good chance of an acceptance, but yes, with a GPA of 3.3, you either have to raise it or redeem it with an SMP.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not specifically familiar with TCOM's program, but if it is typical of SMPs, schools will ask you to submit a transcript after the first term before they make a decision. You'd be expected to maintain a GPA higher than your current cGPA, typically 3.5 or better to impress adcomms. Such a program can help you, but I think you'll need a stronger MCAT score, too, for allopathic med schools.

You could also consider staying in college an extra year to raise your undergrad GPA further.

Hi,

First time poster. I'm in much the same boat, although my undergraduate GPA was a bit lower ... I had around a 3.0 (Biology Major) both science and overall GPA. I went ahead and got a M.S. degree, also in Biology, and ended with a 3.7 GPA. I'm not sure how beneficial it will be towards admission to medical school, but I am sure it seperates you from the pack. Admissions commitees might look twice at your app having a Master's.

What does the rest of your application look like? Research, extra curriculars? What's your major?

Major in interdisciplinary studies, with focus in bio/chem and poly sci and philosophy. Extensive volunteering (over 200 hours), shadowing ( letter of rec from anesthesiologist), no research, moderate extracurriculars.

I went to a private university for two years and I transferred to a state university closer to home. I have a strong upward trend in GPA. Texas resident

You definitely should try Caribbean medical Schools. (Ross) My cousin was in the same boat as yourself, and he got in to RossU with MCAT 27 Or 28, Overall GPA 3.3

Most Honorable and Worthy Prince Abubu,

What do I know, but from what I gather, your problem is going to be getting the adcoms to look at your application. Once and if you can get them to take a closer look at your app, then you need to sell them on what we, in the business world, call your "angle". It's something that you need to develop or have in order to get the interview. If you get an interview you should be assume your grades (at least that year) were competitive enough to fill a seat in that year's matriculating class.

So, what's your angle? Some people have a near-death experience, others were a movie star, etc. I met one guy who almost died of AVM and started a whole online community of survivors of AVM. That was his angle. And he didn't have a stellar GPA from undergrad and did just fine.

My point is that you need to have something that makes you a "person" beyond all of those numbers. Like it's been said before, a 4.0 GPA and 45 MCAT doesn't garauntee admission anymore than a 3.2 GPA and 28 MCAT denied entrance.

Good luck.

I am familiar with this "angle" you speak of. I will mention in my application that I am a twenty year old business owner whose management of a company made it the fastest growing supplier in the DFW area.

I just need them to look at my app. I want to be a doctor.

And I am not interested in Caribbean medical schools.