Get into Ben Gurion with good GPA, Crappy MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

DrK

My interest is in international medicine, and Ben Gurion stood out as a place for me to pursue this at. Everything this program offers is exactly what I am looking for in a med program. However, while my Post Bacc. Science GPA is a 3.8, my MCATs at 24 are horrible. Is there any chance that with exceptional grades, lots of volunteer hours in a public clinic environment, and experience in international finance and relations, that I have any chance of getting in. How much do MCAT's weigh compared to past work experience, etc.

Members don't see this ad.

Dr. K,

Your graduate GPA looks great. Notably absent is your undegrad GPA, but so long as it is not a 2.0 or something similiar, I think you have a good shot. Our average GPA is somewhere around a 3.5, and average MCAT is around 28 (don't quote me, have not seen last years stats lately). But, within these statistics are a wide range of numbers for each individual student. Our school seems to look for people that can prove they are capable of the rigorous coursework/boards, but also are a "fit" for our program. In doing so, I really feel that they weigh each individuals merits. They seem particularly keen on people with, in addition to interests in international medicine, non-traditional backgrounds. I would encourage you to apply. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about the program

I won't even mention to them the fact that "Dr" in your screen name seems a bit presumptious, especially considering you are still applying to medical school...

Best of luck...

Agree with above, your undergrad GPA will be a big deciding factor.

If undergrad is also strong, I also agree with the above post that your chances are pretty good. The admission criteria to BGU-CU focus on more stuff than numerical averages. Of even greater probability is that they will ask you to re-take the MCAT. If your GPA is legit and that good, then your MCAT score is likely a fluke and you should be able to bring it up on another attempt.

Members don't see this ad :)
:eek: :eek: i wander about those who want israeli schools, don't u know that israel is occuping the palastenian lands and the palestenian resistance fight against the israelian army to retain the palastenian lands, and every day there are many people killed from both sides,

u should think many times before going there