PharmCAS Questions

Started by foraminal
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If you are applying through PharmCAS, you need to send in your transcripts with a completed Transcript Request Form. This form is only available after you create an account and input the colleges you have attended. You can submit PharmCAS before it receives all of your transcripts; however, it will not start calculating your GPA until all your transcripts have been received.

I think you should start an account and send them in ASAP just to prevent further delay. It took about a week for my GPA to be calculated.

Good luck!


Mmm...Ok. Thanks for the advice.
 
If you are applying through PharmCAS, you need to send in your transcripts with a completed Transcript Request Form. This form is only available after you create an account and input the colleges you have attended.

To add to this, PharmCAS told me that if you do not attatch the Transcript Request form with the transcript, then it could take an additional 3 days from the normal processing time.
 
I just checked pharmcas and they already have today listed as the mailing date for my application. So it looks like what has been said about Monday being the mailing date has held true. I submitted on a Monday, it was calculated 8 days later (Tuesday) and then mailed the next monday.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
finally pharmcas has posted my gpa early this morning! however, that means it will not be mailed until next monday so another wait begins...
 
Last edited:
Quick question.

I am applying to CA schools for the 11/2 deadline, as well as out of state schools. However, for the out of state schools I want my fall grades to come out and want to submit my apps in December. Can I submit my pharmcas apps twice? Once for my CA schools which I am going to submit now, and then around Dec post my new grades and submit again in Dec for out of state schools?

If I submit it for all the schools now, wouldn't the out of state schools not count my fall grades since I already submitted it?

Sorry if confusing, if anyone can help me out with it, I'll really appreciate it.
 
Quick question.

I am applying to CA schools for the 11/2 deadline, as well as out of state schools. However, for the out of state schools I want my fall grades to come out and want to submit my apps in December. Can I submit my pharmcas apps twice? Once for my CA schools which I am going to submit now, and then around Dec post my new grades and submit again in Dec for out of state schools?

If I submit it for all the schools now, wouldn't the out of state schools not count my fall grades since I already submitted it?

Sorry if confusing, if anyone can help me out with it, I'll really appreciate it.

You can submit PharmCAS only once. Starting in December, an academic window period will be open for you to update your fall grades.
 
You can submit PharmCAS only once. Starting in December, an academic window period will be open for you to update your fall grades.

Everyone better submit soon before it takes forever...

PharmCAS submitted: 9/1
GPA Calculated: 9/10
To be mailed estimate: 9/21
 
Not on their transcript. However, remember that PharmCAS does not drop retaken classes; it averages grades.

While you or I may assume that, it is not necessarily true. This person's stats may be borderline, not low, or she could be a reapplicant and she's not taking the chance that she would be rejected this cycle and have to reapply. And besides, have you seen the range of GPA's and PCATs that pharmacy schools accept? I applied to the University of Minnesota last year and they accepted students with sub 3.0 GPA's. There were also accepted students with sub 30 PCAT, and U of MN is the number three pharmacy school in the US (if you believe US News).

Yes, they reflect your ACADEMIC ability. Grades, however, do not indicate the kind of pharmacist you will become. There is much more than academics involved in the day-to-day work of a pharmacist. The institutions that train pharmacists recognize this, or else being admitted would not require an interview -- they would simply select those with the highest grades. Excellent communication skills, the ability to put a nervous patient at ease, a refined sense of right and wrong, professional judgment...I believe those are all things a good pharmacist will need. You do not suddenly get them because you did well in class.
No, it isn't. People with good grades turn out to be crappy pharmacists, and those with poor grades become excellent pharmacists. It is what it is. You may not like the "coddling," and it certainly gets on my nerves sometimes, but its point is that if you have a dream you should pursue it, no matter the bumps on your way. It's America...dreaming comes with the territory.

medicalCPA, you're amazing! You perfectly pointed out everything that I wanted to say... and more! Thanks!
 
Mine went out yesterday. UB was extremely fast. Monday afternoon they sent me a link to do the supplemental, I filled it out and got an interview offer today!!!!😀 Now if only I didn't have to wait until January 22.
 
Mine went out yesterday. UB was extremely fast. Monday afternoon they sent me a link to do the supplemental, I filled it out and got an interview offer today!!!!😀 Now if only I didn't have to wait until January 22.
Wow I guess the supplemental was just a formality for you.
 
Okay this is my first time applying and their website is not very user friendly, directions all over the place. I just input most of my information tonight, finally and signed up for the last PCAT testing in October. I still need to get my schools to sent official transcripts to them (I got 3 schools I need to ask damn summer school). I finally found how to get official transcript request, hint it is a lot of leg work on my part but where the heck is the letters of recommendations. Do I ask my professors and if so where do they sent it. Also anyone in the same boat as me, waiting til the last minute to apply?
 
John,

Look on the "references" section (left side) of your application. The easiest and quickest way to get your references completed is to do it electronically. You input their name, email address, and phone number (I think) and pharmcas sends them an email to complete the reference. The reference form consists of some ratings for them to complete and there is a box where they can copy and paste a formal letter of reference. On the right side of your pharmcas application you can click on "references or letters of recommendation" (sorry it's not in front of me at the moment so I'm going by memory) and track their progress. If they at least opened the email it was show it "in progress" and after they submit their response it will show it as complete. There is also an option to obtain them via regular mail but I'd use it as a last option as it takes longer and they prefer them electronically. Good luck and just take one thing at a time.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Straight to the point, I had had a legit doctor write a letter of recommendation with PharmCAS. She thought that she was to write an entire recommendation, attach this as a file, and then answer the comment fields as extra parts.

So basically the MAIN comment field about strengths and weaknesses isn't everything great she wrote in the recommendation and the extra info field is a sentence or two long. Is it possible for her to call up PharmCAS and say she misunderstood and change what she had written in first comment field?

Thanks.
 
Thank you Forrest Gump, I see it now under privacy statement. Okay this is making me crazy. So today I finally requested official transcripts to Pharmcas and now I found out that schools I want to attend also want official ones 😡 Looks like am traveling tomorrow. I thought Pharmcas was suppose to make things more easy and streamline like on application for all schools, that was what I thought. Anyone know of a list of schools that do or do not need transcripts other than the ones provided my Pharmcas. Thanks.

edit: Do I need to fill out all information in PharmCAS ie birth date and so on or just the required ones. Also do I waive my right to the reference or not?
 
Last edited:
John,

None of the schools I applied to through Pharmcas required official transcripts sent to them in addition though Nova does require AP and CLEP reports sent to them. It is frustrating that a lot of the supplemental applications ask for a lot of duplicate information already included in the Pharmcas application. Sometimes I think they just make up a supplemental just to get some extra $$$ for the application fee. :laugh:

It's been awhile since I filled out my application so I'm not sure what you are talking about as far as birth date, etc. I filled out everything that was required and everything that applies if that helps.

Most advise to waive your right to see the recommendations as it indicates you aren't interferring in anyway and you trust your references will be positive even though you can't read what they submit. Most of my references were kind enough to email a copy of the letter they wrote on my behalf. They came in handy when other non-pharmcas schools I applied to required hard copy references. In those cases, I printed out their letters and attached them to the required reference form and included a postage paid addressed envelope to make it easier for my references to complete and send.
 
I contacted a few colleges that I am looking into and I found out they all weigh their decisions on acceptance based on different things that each feels is more important than the other. It seems that most don't even really care much about the overall GPA as long as course work/grades are decent, consistent and not bouncing around each semester. (That makes sense because anyone could easily raise their GPA by taking a semester or two of easy gen ed or easy science courses like "Bugs and People" or something like that lol)..

Thanks for all the input everyone and good luck with what you're doing!!
 
Math and science are separate. There are three categories: science, non-science, and math.


Does anyone know if math courses are included in the PharmCas science GPA? Calculus and stats are required prerequisites so I'm guessing they are included in the calculation? Thanks.
 
I submitted my application yesterday! I hope it doesn't take too long for my GPA to be calculated and for it to be sent out... It seems like it has been taking 10 days for GPA to be calculated, and then like another 10-14 days for it to be mailed off. I really hope it doesn't take any longer than that. I need these apps in ASAP.

I am already done with my supplemental applications; I just have to mail it all off, which I will do on Tuesday.
 
Hi. I used up all my LOR allowed on PharmCAS and e-submitted. Some schools, however, require letters from a RX. Does this mean I have to send it directly to the school since Pharmcas won't take anymore?

Also, which form would the LOR writer use if the school said to apply through PharmCAS? They don't have a separate form other than pharmcas form.

Is it ok if they send a letter w/o any characteristics ratings?
 
anybody know?

Call the school and ask. Some schools like UCSF will only accept up to 4, and any additional ones given will be thrown out.

I should also mention that some schools will see it as poor taste to throw too many LORs at them. The saying is, quality over quantity.... I know I talked to someone (I forget which school), and they said they thicker your folder was (the more "extra" stuff you sent them), the more they frowned upon that person.

You might want to call PharmCAS and see if they can take off one of your LORs so you can add your new one. If a school says it doesn't matter how many you send them, then you should ask the school themselves the format they would like the letter in.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I did the same thing and they let me have the letter directly mailed to them. But make sure that the person who is giving you the LOR sends it and make sure you aren't on the return address. Otherwise they will think you had a hand in the contents of the letter.

Hi. I used up all my LOR allowed on PharmCAS and e-submitted. Some schools, however, require letters from a RX. Does this mean I have to send it directly to the school since Pharmcas won't take anymore?

Also, which form would the LOR writer use if the school said to apply through PharmCAS? They don't have a separate form other than pharmcas form.

Is it ok if they send a letter w/o any characteristics ratings?
 
the schools i am applying to has a deadline of nov 2nd, 2009. DOes that mean everything lincluding the secondaries have to be submmitted by nov 2nd, or is it just the premiliary pharm cas application?

I still havent finished my application, (i am still collecting lor's and waiting for pharmcas to receive my transcripts) and i was wondering how long it takes for schools to send you the secondary application once submitting the premilary thru pharmcas
 
Hey guys,

I just noticed one thing.....I think PharmCAS might be emailing the applications out in addition to mailing them...
Cause this morning they mailed out my applications....and I just got an email from one of the schools saying that they have already received my PharmCAS application....i mean....snail mail can't be that fast...
What do u all think?😱
 
To the best of my knowledge, everything should be in by the school's deadline. As far as supplementals, only one of the schools I applied to (NOVA) sends it after they receive the pharmcas application. The rest are online at the respective schools websites and it is up to the applicant to find them and submit them by the deadline. If I were you, I would submit your pharmcas application as soon as you can and as you wait for the LOR's to come in, etc. start working on your supplementals. JMO
 
Hey guys,

I just noticed one thing.....I think PharmCAS might be emailing the applications out in addition to mailing them...
Cause this morning they mailed out my applications....and I just got an email from one of the schools saying that they have already received my PharmCAS application....i mean....snail mail can't be that fast...
What do u all think?😱

I think it may depend on the school. I applied to Buffalo, Albany and St John Fisher. My apps were mailed out on 09/14 and I still haven't recieved an email from St John Fisher or Albany telling me that they got my apps. however later that afternoon on the same day they were mailed out Buffalo emailed me to fill out the supplemental and invited me for an interview the next day. Seems like they have streamlined things somehow. Anyone know how long it takes for most schools to get back to you if they aren't sent by email?
 
Ok so I was talking to this guy that is in his second year of pharmacy school and he swears that he got into pharmacy school without filling out pharmcas. He says he went to the school to find out information about the following year (it was like in June) and they offered a position right on the spot because they had a lot of people decline and had open spots. He said they had him just fill out an application there and send his transcripts. He had no letters of recommendation, not even a PCAT score.

Now really is this guy pulling my leg or have instances like this happened before? I personally find it hard to believe, but I guess nowadays anything is possible. What you guys think?
 
Ok so I was talking to this guy that is in his second year of pharmacy school and he swears that he got into pharmacy school without filling out pharmcas. He says he went to the school to find out information about the following year (it was like in June) and they offered a position right on the spot because they had a lot of people decline and had open spots. He said they had him just fill out an application there and send his transcripts. He had no letters of recommendation, not even a PCAT score.

Now really is this guy pulling my leg or have instances like this happened before? I personally find it hard to believe, but I guess nowadays anything is possible. What you guys think?

Ummm, not all pharmacy school is register with PharmCas. So it may be possible that the school he applied for was not a "Pharmcas School" but in terms of applying there and being accepted on the spot... that is a little questionable.
 
actually it is a pharmcas school....but I think hes just lying to me....he said they offered him the spot...he sent in his transcript...and they accepted him. its a school i really want to go to so Im kind of disappointed if thats how he got in.
 
I've heard of it happening. A pharmacist I worked with was recruited into the Pharm Progarm at MCPHS. He was in his first year as a PhD Student for either micro or chem (don't remember), and he said admissions got a hold of him and offered him a spot
 
Well, you guys are doing pretty good than me. I just e-submitted a few minutes ago. I'm assuming it'll take the full 5 weeks, so just in case my GPA does get calculated in less than 5 weeks, I can be pleasantly surprised.

Good luck everyone, and keep us posted on your status!!

Wow you submitted only one day after I did and yet it took 5 more days to calculate the gpa. it really is taking longer and longer as time goes on.
 
i havent sent my transcripts from my college to pharmcas yet..and i am confused. how do i send my transcripts from my college to pharmcas? do i print out the transfer request form and send it to my college? is there a faster way to do it?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If you're not close by, they will often let you fax the transcript request form to them. I did that for two of the colleges I attended and it didn't take long at all. Contact your school's transcript processing office and let them know that you have to have this form included when they send the transcript out.
 
After finally getting my 3rd reference to complete his LOR (had to show him how as he's 87 years young and easily confused by the electronic process) on 9/16 - pharmcas STILL hasn't forwarded an update to my schools! :scared: I can't believe they are taking so long because until they do most of my applications are not complete. Has anyone else had this happen? I emailed them but haven't gotten a response yet. I check pharmcas several times a day (I know, it is an obsessive habit) and it is driving me crazy!!!
 
Well I just got a reply from Pharmcas in wickedly fast time and they said all of my LOR's were mailed in their 5th, 6th, and 9th mailings! Weird because when I check my application it shows the last update was sent out on 8/31 which is more than 2 weeks prior to my third LOR being completed 😱 I emailed them back for clarification...
 
Delano,

Sounds like a plan with one exception -- are you aware the University of Florida uses Pharmcas?😕

It can be frustrating at times but the one thing I like about Pharmcas it that your references only have to submit once and that's it.