PharmCAS Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

foraminal

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
It seems the more they tried to simplfied the process the more it cost us. Pharmcas isn't exactly cheap. It cost over $100 to start the application and you still have to send a supplement application to your school. Again it cost an additional fee. Send in official transcript ($10 a pop) to pharmcas and the school. Each school calculate their own GPA differently from Pharmcas and other stuff. So, whats the deal with pharmcas? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

foraminal said:
It seems the more they tried to simplfied the process the more it cost us. Pharmcas isn't exactly cheap. It cost over $100 to start the application and you still have to send a supplement application to your school. Again it cost an additional fee. Send in official transcript ($10 a pop) to pharmcas and the school. Each school calculate their own GPA differently from Pharmcas and other stuff. So, whats the deal with pharmcas? :confused:

probably $$$

I don't really know though.

foraminal said:

It doesn't make a difference in the long run. It simplifies the school's job; seeing as how they are getting atleast 2000+ applications (depending on the school you apply to). I couldn't believe it how much it did cost just to "apply" to school... including the repeated PCAT attempts, PCAT books, application fees, PharmCAS, etc...

Why do we do it? Someone along the way has convinced us it'll pay off in the end ;) Keep this in mind!

Members don't see this ad :)
What do I need to submit before I E-submit my PharmCAS? Do I need have completed transcript, PCAT scores, and reference letter? I believe not, but I would like to make sure. Thank you

cy19861126 said:
What do I need to submit before I E-submit my PharmCAS? Do I need have completed transcript, PCAT scores, and reference letter? I believe not, but I would like to make sure. Thank you

You need to have everything that's your responsibility completed. Like, all you need to worry about, aside from actually completing your part of the PharmCAS application, is that your transcripts and test scores have been ordered to be sent to PharmCAS, and that you've given your recommenders a decent amount of time to write your letter (1 month is professional courtesy.)

You don't need to wait on PharmCAS. In fact, it's probably not a good idea to wait on PharmCAS, especially with the LORs. There are certain things that are out of your hands (like how quickly the registrar mails out your official transcripts) but it's ultimately your responsibility to follow up on everything before deadlines pass.

How long does it usually take? I hope mine didn't get lost in the mail :(

I'm guessing that you sent a check. I would wait a couple of weeks before inquiring though I would expect a better response time. Like any snail mail these days, non-Internet submission of anything can add 3-7 days for processing purposes.

I just wanted to get thoughts from you guys on this...

I attended the University of Houston for 1 semester in 1997, so therefore, I must disclose this with PharmCAS and submit my transcript.

Heres the deal...
I faxed the necessary paperwork to UH and called after 2 days later to confirm it has been processed since according to their policy, they process transcript requests 24 hours after request. They told me that they have no record of the request and kindly asked that I fax it again. Ok, no big deal, I'm still extremely early in the application process. I fax it again per their request. Two days later, I get the same story from them. They still have no record of my request. So I've faxed them twice with no record of having received my request. They say they are not unusually busy and I should fax it again for the 3rd time and since they charge $10, they assured me that if they see a duplicate request, they will trash the request and not process it. Fine.

We'll I decided not to fax it a 3rd time, and lo and behold, they finally processed BOTH requests, contrary to what they said they would do. That's ok, I'll get the duplicate charged refunded.

So that story sets up the real question...
Is it harmful that PharmCAS is showing to have received 2 transcripts from UH or do I need to somehow contact PharmCAS and request they remove the duplicate at the risk they end up removing both transcripts from UH and leaves me needing to start from the ground floor again?

Thanks in advance for your input.

-CD

bump ... Has a similar situation happened to anyone before?

The best advice here is to contact PharmCAS directly - they're nice to deal with and answer quickly too.

I doubt its a problem to have a 2 transcripts sent in but just check with them.

how much of a difference would one expect to see? I mean do they calculate all your grades or just the PreReq?

but how much difference are they usually?

Members don't see this ad :)
My transcript GPA and PharmCAS GPA were the same.

Calculate your PharmCAS GPA yourself, and you will see whatever difference there is to see.

I think you will only really see a difference if you have retaken a class and your school replaces it with the higher grade. PharmCAS will average the two grades. So depending on how many times you did that you could get a bigger change. Also if you've taken courses at different schools, when they pool those grades you could get a difference.

And from what I understand on PharmCAS they don't count any Pass or Fail class right?

Well, your transcript GPA wouldn't count it either.

Let's say you were me. I retook Organic Chem I(4 Credits) and Organic Chem II(4 Credits).

I got a D(4 Points) and a F(0 Points) on my first run. On my second run, I got an A(16 Points) and a B(12 Points).

My LIU GPA reflects only the A and the B.

So according to LIU, this is my Organic Chem GPA.

(12+16)/8 = 3.5

According to PharmCAS, this is my Organic Chem GPA.

(4 + 0 + 16 + 12)/16 = 2.0

My PharmCAS GPA was 0.01 higher than my transcript. :thumbup:

PharmCAS doesn't calculate your prereq GPA. That is likely done on your supplementals. PharmCAS will calculate your overall GPA as well as the GPA for each individual undergraduate year and any post-bac, graduate, professional courses. Each of those are additionally split into science, nonscience, and math. It also shows you overall GPAs in the following categories: biochem, biology, ochem, inorganic chem, physics, other science, math, social sciences, and microbiology.

My transcript GPA and my PharmCAS GPA were exactly the same. All grades are calculated.

I submitted last night, and my GPA was calculated by tonight..

so.. 24 hours baby!!

just letting people know!

anyone know how long it takes for the app to be sent in to my school? maybe a couple more days?

Good to know, I'll be finalizing my pharmcas soon, thanks!

I submitted last night, and my GPA was calculated by tonight..

so.. 24 hours baby!!

just letting people know!

anyone know how long it takes for the app to be sent in to my school? maybe a couple more days?

Looks like they should send it out on September 8th.

i believe pharmcas sents out app every monday

PharmCAS does send out applications every Monday, but once they do not mail your application out the Monday after your GPA has been calculated. They send it out the following Monday.

After reading this OPs other thread started today, I now find myself questioning the validity of this claim.

Its tough to imagine a troll with 500+ posts, but I guess it could happen.

Can anyone else back up this claim of a 1 day turnaround from PharmCAS? I would have thought others may have chimed in, but that is not the case. Anyone who has submitted their PharmCAS within the last few days, please let us know your status.

After reading this OPs other thread started today, I now find myself questioning the validity of this claim.

Its tough to imagine a troll with 500+ posts, but I guess it could happen.

Can anyone else back up this claim of a 1 day turnaround from PharmCAS? I would have thought others may have chimed in, but that is not the case. Anyone who has submitted their PharmCAS within the last few days, please let us know your status.

what.. you think i would just lie about pharmcas processing time??. what could i possibly have to gain by doing that?

you're right.. i would never have thought to be called a troll here after 5 years.. and my other post was mostly due to being unable to stop being anxious about *something* and it seems like every other thread around here was talking about how you needed a degree , etc etc..

Last edited:
It could be because there aren't alot of applications in right now... and everyone hasn't finish their you know stuff...

I submitted my pharmcas last Wednesday, and my GPA was calculated Thursday, so I have to agree with the 24 hour turn-around.

My last transcripts were received on the 28th, and I e-submitted on the 21st. My gpa, however, has still not been calculated by pharmcas. I know there was a bit of a delay with the website so that explains part of the delay. Anyone else not getting the 24hr calculation turnaround?

My GPA was calculated in 24 hrs and I e-submitted on the 27th

I wonder why my application is taking too long. They have my transcipts and I submitted a week ago and still no grades:(

Submitted this last tuesday... no calculation but that's probably b/c theres probably a holdup somewhere.

For me it took 48h to calculate my GPA. I e-submitted tuesday night and my calculated gpa was posted today :).

ooo! Hopefully I can get mine posted pretty soon. Oh, boys...

ooo! Hopefully I can get mine posted pretty soon. Oh, boys...

Me too! I'm getting antsy. I was really hoping for it to be calculated this week,so it could be sent next week but I'm not holding my breath.

Me too! I'm getting antsy. I was really hoping for it to be calculated this week,so it could be sent next week but I'm not holding my breath.

1.5 hours left before closing... please pharmcas people don't fail us...

Gosh, I'm getting so aggravated. My GPA still hasn't been calculated. I called PharmCas yesterday and inquired about it, and they said it could take up to 5 weeks to process. Of course, she said that it likely won't take that long. I told her that I "knew" several other people who submitted already and had their GPA calculated in 24 hours. She told me that the files are put in a que and handled in that order. What I don't get though is how some people who submitted after me got their GPA calculated already. I'm guessing maybe since I have a bachelors degree plus 2 more semesters that mine will take longer to calculate. I'm getting really really antsy! haha

Ok I vented. :)

Ok so it took my gps 72 hours to get evaluated

when they did I magically had a microbiology course appear in my gpa I went into my course list and saw that they had changed my mycology course from general science to microbiology just fyi mycology is (mushrooms and fungus) not sure if there is a reason they changed it or just ignorance but hey w/e i guess i'll explain that in the interview when it comes to it.

Hmmm, I submitted my application on Thursday, and it hasn't been calculated it. I also have a B.S, and am finishing my M.S, do you think that makes it take longer??
Those of you whose GPA's were calculated in 24 hours, that's awesome!

Hmmm, I submitted my application on Thursday, and it hasn't been calculated it. I also have a B.S, and am finishing my M.S, do you think that makes it take longer??
Those of you whose GPA's were calculated in 24 hours, that's awesome!

mine better be calculated... monday

I too have a Bachelor's degree and have taken my sciences over since Maryland needed them to be within the last five years. I had three transcripts that I submitted from my school years. I have been waiting since last Wednesday and still nothing. I may be closer to the five week period. :eek:

I'm hoping for tomorrow, but that may be wishful thinking

I too have a Bachelor's degree and have taken my sciences over since Maryland needed them to be within the last five years. I had three transcripts that I submitted from my school years. I have been waiting since last Wednesday and still nothing. I may be closer to the five week period. :eek:

Have you been working at a pharmacy since you got your Bachelor's?

Maryland will waive that five year expiration rule if you've been working at a pharmacy/science-related field since you graduated.

I swear it took them about 5 weeks to process my gpa last year, then again I did submit it in late November.

Some are all the way in March, but the schools I applied to simply required that it was e-submitted by their due date and supplementals turned in. Pharmcas processing everything else was virtually out of my hands, though you could always argue I should I have submitted it sooner. Nonetheless, it all worked out.

is pharmcas down for anyone else? I just got my PS back from my proofreader and was ready to e-submit and I keep getting an error page.

GPA still not calculated...I'm getting so frustrated. I think if they sent out the applications more than once a week, I would feel better. Alas, I'm going to try to keep my mind off of it by studying.

YAY!!!!!!! My GPA has finally been calculated! I was so relieved to find the email from PharmCas this morning stating they had calculated my GPA.

Their calculations are kinda interesting. The school I am interested in looks at overall GPA as well as Math/Science GPA. PharmCas calculates overall GPA but also has a separate section with some specific courses. I'm guessing that ETSU will average out my Math GPA with my Science GPA? Oh well, I'm just glad it's finally calculated. :)

Anyway, I hope everyone gets their GPAs calculated really soon so the application can be mailed out on Monday.

YAY!!!!!!! My GPA has finally been calculated! I was so relieved to find the email from PharmCas this morning stating they had calculated my GPA.

Their calculations are kinda interesting. The school I am interested in looks at overall GPA as well as Math/Science GPA. PharmCas calculates overall GPA but also has a separate section with some specific courses. I'm guessing that ETSU will average out my Math GPA with my Science GPA? Oh well, I'm just glad it's finally calculated. :)

Anyway, I hope everyone gets their GPAs calculated really soon so the application can be mailed out on Monday.

When did you E-submit?