Get me off this waitlist!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

suit up son

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, i got waitlisted at UCSD's radiology program. An acquaintance said he got rejected, and that he was going to try to appeal their decision. A week after appealing, he was granted an interview.

How the heck does someone who was rejected get offered an interview before someone who was waitlisted? When interview spots open up, shouldn't programs offer it to the waitlisters first?

I asked the dude, and to no one's surprise, he has decided not to divulge any info as to what he did or who he talked to.

Any advice as to how to get my butt off this waitlist?

Members don't see this ad.

So, i got waitlisted at UCSD's radiology program.
How the heck does someone who was rejected get offered an interview before someone who was waitlisted? When interview spots open up, shouldn't programs offer it to the waitlisters first?

I asked the dude, and to no one's surprise, he has decided not to divulge any info as to what he did or who he talked to.

Any advice as to how to get my butt off this waitlist?

Hayayaya! I'm sorry it had to happen to you. But like any other job hunt in life, even though it is despicable and discouraging as hell, a lot of times it doesn't matter what you know (judged by your scores, or medical skill, or the fact that you are waitlisted and him rejected) but who you know (i.e. your dad is golf buddies with the PD). Such a cliche, right? And it evolved into a cliche because that happens a lot. My guess is he probably had somebody he knew call somebody high and mighty in the program. I've heard that happen alot. So my game plan for you would be to do the same...if that's how much you really want to be in the program. it's tough as students I know. I'm also feeling the pain. Good luck!

welcome to the world of competitive residency!!! This also happens in the most competitive programs of non competitive residencies!!

If you have someone that can make a phone call for you use it!!!